Priority of Social Media over official forums

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Avirodar, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luperza Community Manager

Did I ever say anyone was saying that? No. I just stated why we use social media, several times.

What IMPORTANT information have you NOT recieved on the forums? Everything that is hyper important to the community is always posted on the forums even if it starts in a different location. We're pretty good about that.

...And as I stated previously, we're working out the process for what should be posted where and how it should be shared to social etc. It's not perfect, we'll work out the kinks.

This is incorrect and a complete lie. :(

Here's the official post that went out BEFORE it was posted on social media: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/update-all-access-members.549838/
    It's not something we want to do all the time, so it's on a thread-to-thread basis. PM me if you have questions or have a thread you think should have more editing rights.

Let's keep this discussion thread on topic, please.

This already exists, it's just a little convoluted and I've mentioned it to our forum creators. If you hit the "#" it will open a box that allows you to share posts or threads to whatever social media you prefer to use. :)
    This exists.

As far as in-game, I'll have to look into how we could do something like that or if it is even possible.
  2. Nelie Well-Known Member

Was completely unaware of that, heh. I knew from the bottom of the page there is the "Share This Page" for Twitter and Facebook but didn't think it was possible to do it by posts. I will have to try that sometime, thanks!
    Luperza likes this.
  3. Luperza Community Manager

Yep! No problem. :)
    Nelie likes this.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

wow- i didn't know that existed. is there any way we could get a sticky thread that lists all of the useful things about the forum we wouldn't otherwise know?
    aspekx and Nelie like this.
  5. suka Well-Known Member

this:

i read the rest of her statement and missed that part. when you are reading a lot of posts you sometimes skim over them. no, i saw that one in the forums. in fact i didn't know about it until i read the forums. please guys, that is how misinformation gets started. there are enough examples without making any up.

and Luperza i do think you do a wonderful job and that you try. unfortunately you can't control what others do and i am afraid you are in the minority as for as those who give us much consideration. if more people at soe thought like you do and acted like you do, this thread wouldn't exist because there would be no complaint.
  6. Estal Well-Known Member

Thanks, however the in game browser doesn't seem to be able to handle rss:

[IMG]

As compared to in a "normal" Browser:

[IMG]

If you could get the Elves in the Workshop to improve the in game browser then a simple macro with the command /browser https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/rss/strss.xml would provide a complete and easy to use in game newsfeed.
  7. Feldon Well-Known Member

I am puzzled as to why you would use the in-game browser to view RSS. Kinda defeats the purpose. The point of RSS is to stay in touch on news when you aren't able to access the game or don't want to have to keep loading a webpage, but want all your news to flow into a RSS reader program on your PC, tablet, or mobile phone.

If you want to see the EQ2 Dev Tracker in-game, just go here:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?recent-activity/
    suka likes this.
  8. Estal Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with making the info SoE writes up already anyway accessible conveniently in game? And SoE already uses RSS and there is already an in game browser, in other words, it doesn't have to be rss in the game brwoser, but prob less work to get that functional than finding some other way.

Too many cooks spoil the broth, having the info plastered all over various sites just results in missing the info not posted on the one site you pick.
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

This:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?recent-activity/
    and this:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/rss/strss.xml

are the same thing, formatted differently. Actually the RSS looks to be further behind/out of date compared to the other link. Asking an SOE dev to spend 10 hours trying to make the in-game web browser render RSS XML when you can just view the recent-activity link makes no sense.
    suka and Spindle like this.
  10. Feara Well-Known Member

Most players I know in game never come to the Forums let alone the social sites.

If they would implement a system like this I truly believe their paying/playing customers would be very satisfied.

~ I just wanted to add that I do think the news listed on the launcher is a very effective way to educate the customers as long as it has the most current information at the moment.
    suka and Feldon like this.
  11. Feldon Well-Known Member

In-game access to EQ2 news should be excellent. It should be possible to keep up with what's going on just by reading news in-game. In-game surveys could be as often as every two weeks if the questions are worded right (not a push poll).

The problem with focusing on Forums and Social Media is, they're reaching maybe 10% of their players. The other 90% only look in-game.
  12. Almee Well-Known Member

I think all the serious players (there are always exceptions) read the forums on a daily basis. I usually check out the forums when changing accounts. I'm going to try adding Feldon's link, in a macro, to see if I can easily pull up the latest news in-game.

Ten percent, of a population, is about right for players who access the forums. That would mean the forums are doing their job according to a normal-population bell curve.

Adding social media may bring in new players, and some of these may become long-term players, so it is easy to see why SoE is adding social media. They are a business, first and foremost, so they want as many customers as possible.
  13. Feara Well-Known Member

One example: My Brother's Guild - 21 members - hard core players/RL workers/paying customers/mostly vets - none of them come to the forums or social media sites.
    suka likes this.
  14. Luperza Community Manager

For those talking about in-game surveys/questionnaires, that's something we're talking about, so expect to see some in the future. ;)
    suka, Neiloch, Rotherian and 2 others like this.
  15. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Awesome. Would it be possible for the Dev Team (yourself included) to use the in-game mail or something similar to do primary info pushes (with all the media external to the game, including these forums*, being secondary), in the same manner used to have in-game polls, as well?

* Or would that be fora instead of forums? (Or are both acceptable?)
    suka likes this.
  16. Rhyashaa Member

suka and Avahlynn like this.
  17. Luperza Community Manager

Not sure how the in-game mailing system works with system messaging. I'll talk to the team about it in the next meeting I have with them though. :)

It should be on the in-game calendar. Also Holly talked about this in her producer's letter. It also happens around the same time every year. :)

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2...ucers-letter-july-august-news-updates.549469/

We'll have details tonight about our patch notes and an article should be going live when Tinkerfest goes live. ;) Don't worry, we got you.
    suka likes this.
  18. Feldon Well-Known Member

Also people have been giving SmokeJumper a hard time about not tweeting #EQ2 stuff enough, so uh, blame your fellow players. ;)
    suka and Luperza like this.
  19. Rhyashaa Member

It normally starts on the 25th. Tomorrow is not the 25th. The calender in-game shows the 25th. The tweet says tomorrow. As in the 22nd. Three days early. The date change is highly important.
    Malleria, suka and Avahlynn like this.
  20. suka Well-Known Member

not necessarily. my brother in law raids and is in a raid guild on eq1. neither he nor most of his guild check the forums or any other social media. they get all of their information from eqresource - which is to eq1 pretty much what eq2wire is to eq2.

when i ask any of them about something posted on the forums, they tell me they don't go their. neither do the people he groups with regularly. usually a player will choose one site to get news from. for most players, that means a third party site - not the forums and not the social media. to get them into the know, you either have to post on the sites they go to or do it ingame.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.