Pre-Adorned Items and why its a bad idea

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Atan, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Atan Well-Known Member

I'm exactly two raids into this expansion and I'm already pulling my hair out dealing with the loot issues. On the surface I thought the adorn on the items would be a good thing as it gave you some value to replaying the content more as you get your item one night with an OK adorn then maybe another night on the same or some other mob an item drops that has the adorn you really want so you get that item (maybe a 2nd one) just to destroy it and get the rune.

However, when we take that into the real world, we have problems.

Let me provide an example from lastnight. A set of druid boots dropped on the raid, and they're a straight line upgrade for one of our druids. You know the same old same old, .3cb .3pot +6 stats, the same /yawn upgrades we've been seeing for some time now. HOWEVER, the item had an 8% +hatemod adornment. Now, while I as a tank didn't value this adorn, another tank on the raid does.

Here insues our problem. Both players want the loot cause each sees an upgrade. However the druid who the item is actually designed for feels pretty upset when a tank loots it just to blow up the item for the adorn. This causes some friction, lots of questions about what should take precedence, what is fair, etc. etc.

Then the next mob died, and a charm drops that has Priest/Mage stats and a red adorn that is a priest only replenishing ward proc. This becomes confusing as all get out, cause when you link the item the adornment doesn't show. It only shoes to me as I hover on it on the loot box. So now I have to take time to link every adorn and every item, and it gets really confusing. Like I can't tell if the charm is priest only or not. On my window it says priest only cause of the adorn, but the links other people see show no adorn and the item all mages / all priests. Confusion ensues. Arguements about what is more significant the base charm stats or the nice replenishing ward proc. Mages want the charm cause its an upgrade, but they realize they're clockblocking some priests that desperately want the proc.

These are all issues happening in a cohesive guild that is what I would call more cooperative about loot than most. But the new mechanism is causing strife and I don't particularly care for it.

Now I join a pug. A legendary chest piece (robe) drops with a yellow adorn I find nice for me on my guardian. So I roll need on the loot and take the item to pull the adornment off. The pug coercer I'm with curses up a storm, calls me nasty names in group and server chat then drops group.

I see these problems only getting worse as time goes on. And while at one level I thought this was a neat idea to make replayability of content more rewarding, now that I've experienced it for just a few days I say it needs to go. Just add the adornment to the loot unattached to any item so we can avoid these confrontational and polarizing issues.

2cp.
    Ridolain, Ruckus, sompet_eq2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Gideon Member

i agree, they should just make it so a item and a adorn drops. or make the adorns benificial for any class that can use the gear.
  3. Chronus Active Member

Have everybody click the loot when it comes up in chat from the original box opening, works quite well.
    However the base issues are there, I was lucky in that no plate tank needed the easy mode shoulders that dropped so I got them and the 3% doublecast adorn for minimum bid but if they would have been an upgrade for somebody it would have been amazingly annoying.
  4. Atan Well-Known Member

Exactly, having adorns on a set of gear that is for an opposing archtype is really causing some strife between players.

All in all, I think just adding the adorn to the box separately is where we need to go. This current system only causes players to have conflicts where conflicts really shouldn't be needed.
  5. Davngr Well-Known Member

just make it so removing the adorn won't destroy the item imo.
  6. Mae- Well-Known Member

Then what is the fighter supposed to do with the druid boots he doesn't need cuz he just wanted the +hate adorn on it?
  7. Luhai Active Member

I'm all for useful adornments. Last night I got a mage robe with an red adornment. It had 18 ammo conservation on it. I thought it was kinda funny but obviously there are some situations where pre-adorned loot can cause trouble.
  8. Kinya Active Member

The idea of red adorns already equipped on the gear is stupid imo.I hate it as many other players I spoke with.
    It brings lots of confusion to raiders and arguments who should bid on it and who shouldn't.

The adorns should drop as separate items and all people would be happy. Not already on the gear.

Please change this asap...
    Ridolain likes this.
  9. Mohee Active Member

Pre-adorned gear is a very bad idea.

Why not just make a new adornment merchant that uses some of the new currency to buy whatever people want to buy?

Either that or BE SMART when it comes to pre-adorned gear. Why are mages getting ammo conservation and scouts getting +hate adorns and fighters getting -hate? thats just moronic....
    Ridolain likes this.
  10. Davngr Well-Known Member

you can trade no-trade stuff for 48 hours. just have the dislodgers
    in your bags
  11. Mae- Well-Known Member

So we're supposed to carry around and use another item to fix an OBVIOUS screw up on the dev's side. Yeah, that's logical.
  12. Lucus Well-Known Member

seem like a workaround rather then solution, personally if something drops that has an adorn i'd liek to have but someone else in the group really needs that equipment piece as an upgrade they should get it. that adorn will slgihtly improve your perfomance compared to at least a moderate improvement to the other player.
  13. Davngr Well-Known Member

it's not a "work around" it's "artificial necessity" if anything.

why else are we going to craft stuff? waht are we going to use stuff we get to craft with? '

why not just remove the need for every item and just make everything be looted in it's final form or "right click" fix for everything?

it's not a big deal and the ability is all ready there, devs just need to make it so the item is not destroyed.

edit.

but tbh.. i don't really care either way. it jsut needs to be fixed
  14. Atan Well-Known Member

Bingo!

This needs to be addressed. There is enough drama around loot in an MMO that we don't need developers/designers needlessly implementing more drama.
  15. Arieste Well-Known Member

Another issue is with the distribution of the red adornments. We've seen (and it sounds like others have as well) at least 6 Ammo Conservation Red Adorns. This is an adornment that not a single class in the game uses. We've not seen a single +potency adornment or +cb/pot adornment.
  16. Davngr Well-Known Member

hey dev's.

this is an actual issue that affects everyone in the game, including the "cool kids" so why not invest some effort here?
  17. Natal New Member

The problem is not with the adornments, it is with your rules for allocating loot.

Set up the rule as follows: (1) The gear comes first. If it is an upgrade then it goes to whoever is eligible, provided it actually is an upgrade (they have to wear it, not reduce it for the adornment). (2) If the gear rots, then it gets put up for the adornment.

As long as everyone in your guild knows the rules up front and they are enforced consistently with no exceptions, then there is no problem.
  18. Davngr Well-Known Member

and pick up groups?

the problem is that the item is destroyed and it should not be.
  19. Gideon Member

the thing is why should we have to pay 200+pp to take a adorn of a drop that shouldnt be there in the first place?
    those items that knock adorns off need 2 frozen manas to make, and its a 1 time use.
  20. Regolas Well-Known Member

Ouch!