Pre-Adorned Items and why its a bad idea

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Atan, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Mae- Well-Known Member

What happens when an AMAZING fighter rune drops on a piece of gear that is only a very minor upgrade for scouts, which the loot was designed for. Your rule gives the item to someone who's going to replace the rune with something else, and that great rune gets lost to the ether.
  2. Davngr Well-Known Member

the leg version that only pops off one adorn does not cost that much and will go down in price as the expansion goes on.

edit.
    can't believe not one dev has commented on this.
  3. Arieste Well-Known Member

That's only the advanced version that takes off ALL adorns. You shouldn't be using that one on a drop that you're just scrapping for adorn, you should be using the 50-60p (5 infusions + 1 tungsten) version for that. In the past it cost 10p + shards, but in the past you had to get a new one every time you upgraded your gear, now you don't.

I posted the math elsewhere, but it's worth repeating:

Previously, if your (let's say) Gloves had 4 adorns in them, it cost you 2 manas + some infusions for the whites, 10p for red and 5p for yellow to put those same adorns into your new gloves (plus you had to run a bunch of heroic instances for white shards every time you got a new piece of raid gear).

Now, all it costs you is 2 manas + 1 tungsten (advanced dislodger) and whammo! your new gloves have the 4 adorns from your old gloves. You don't even need to leave the instance! So in the long run it's kinda cheaper.
  4. Avianna Well-Known Member

5. Murfalad Member

I kind of like the random adorn, its playful :) and does add for some replayabilty without making things overpowered, it seems common sense for people to loot for the class who can use the item first with the adorn being a secondary target just like looting for alts.

They could make it so only the class it is intended for could see the adorn I guess, or they could go the route of that other game and give the class it is intended for priority for the loot, but really people ninja'ing shouldn't be a problem for SOE to deal with.

The fact also that something is in demand is a good problem to have.
  6. Davngr Well-Known Member

any word on this? can someone at least post why or why not this is not being looked into?
  7. Atan Well-Known Member

I don't think its my position to tell someone that the item is more value than the adornment. I've seen many cases where the exact opposite is true. And since its a case by case evaluation, that evaluation is open to bias and not everyone will agree.

It also certainly doesn't address the issue of pug loot on the same topic.

This is a real problem, one that should be addressed. We absolutely should not have game mechanics added that offer no benefit and at the same time increase conflicts between players. Period.
  8. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Some adorns are even dropping on items that aren't valid. Guildmate got ability reuse on his pants and the adorn popped off when he zoned.
  9. Raisie Member

In our groups we need on the piece of gear that is an upgrade and never on the adorn. The group either follows that rule or they dont group with us. We have never had an issue on it and everyone is happy with that rule. It saves all the headaches of the adorns. It is really stupid the way the adorns are so mismatched with the gear.
  10. Atan Well-Known Member

See, when I play in groups, its nearly the exact opposite. I'm looking for nice yellow adorns to go with the raid gear I have. I have little to no interest in the items themselves.
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

I'm with Atan here, even though most items would likely be an upgrade for me. The item & the adornment are both important for different reasons and both needed so both people should be able to need on it.

The real issue is that the items are pre-adorned in the first place. BAD idea, especially since the adornments rarely seem to match the item. If the item & adornment were complimentary it wouldn't be an issue.
  12. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Based on Atan's initial example - if I were the druid for whom the boots were an upgrade, but the tank wanted them for the adorn, I'd be peeved. Giving an item I need to someone who doesn't for the random adorn is a waste. There is Loot Etiquette out there, if not outright Loot Rules (as in a raid). Sticking a random event in that makes everyone feel bad about the loot distribution is unwise. GIving more reason for someone to ninja loot or drop group and steal loot, as well: not a good idea.

Just leave the better adorns as a reward for doing the harder content and/or grinding faction. If this mechanic is responding to people moaning about 'how hard' it is to get the shards, then create another way that individuals can earn them.

Every time something like this comes up it makes me wonder if anyone is actually talking to anyone else in the thousands of meetings I'm sure you guys have. This issue means you are doing everything you can to push people into grouping situations where loot distribution is now begging to be abused.

You can't force Community..sorry.
    Ridolain likes this.
  13. Davngr Well-Known Member

this further aggravates the situation between casual and raiding players and forces either to not group with the other. this is an issue since the more people to group with the better an mmo will be fun wise.

the mechanic to combat this issue is all ready in game and it's the tinkerd item that allows adornments to be removed. THAT item needs to NOT destroy the gear it un-adorns. if you're a raider looking for a yellow adorns then you put some dislodge items in your bags for when they drop you can strike a deal with the class that would have wanted the item and not necessarily the adornment.

why NO dev has even so much as commented on this is ridiculous.
  14. Regolas Well-Known Member

Well currently it seems if the item has an adorn on it it is not tradable for the usual 48 hrs. This may have changed in the latest hot fix but said hotfix did specifically say epic loot with adorns, not all loot with adorns.

If they change that and then you don't destroy the item too, so the adorn or item can then be traded with anyone in your group for 48 hrs, it would solve everything.
  15. Atan Well-Known Member

I still don't like that fix as it requires these single use adorners to be ready to go when it happens.

When just separating the adorn from the gear in the loot window is the best solution hands down.
    Ridolain and Mae- like this.
  16. Regolas Well-Known Member

True, but then it completely goes against their initial idea, therefore less likely to happe. And you should still have 48 hrs to sort it out.
  17. Atan Well-Known Member

Sorting it out in a pug will continue to be a problem and raise drama. The benefits of this idea are far, FAR outweighed by the issues it creates.