Positive Rangers Only

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-bosmer24, Feb 15, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-faranthil Guest

Rangers are the best... All the other class should be be designed on how best to serve us :p
  2. ARCHIVED-mellowknees72 Guest

I love love love love love love love love love being a ranger.

I started out with a druid main in EQ1 and played her up til the low 40's. Then I started a ranger and I absolutely loved her. I could run around and do stuff on my own, play with a group, and up until the 50's, I could even tank! It was great. When I retired from EQ1 my ranger was 65 with about 50 AA (and so was my druid at that point).

When I started EQ2, I started off with a druid too. Got her to level 26 and really enjoyed playing her. And then, yet again, I made a ranger and now I have no motivation to play any other character. I love the ranger class. I don't care one wit about those people out there (yes, had them in EQ1 - lots of them in my own guild made fun of rangers and I was their leader for goodness sakes) who say that rangers aren't worth anything. It's simple - we rock as a class.

The defining thing is the person at the keyboard - when you play a ranger, you have to be a little creative about how you approach hunting. Different techniques work for different people. So far I haven't successfully solo'd any blue con group mobs, but I've managed to stay alive through many fights with green con group mobs. Solo mobs...I can take down up to a yellow con (orange gets a little dicey though). Usually the fight ends with my health at about 20%, but I can live with that...plus, who doesn't want a little heart-pounding, will-I-or-won't-I-make-it fun?

Don't let what other people think or say about this class influence you at all. Be proud that you're a ranger. We're awesome!
  3. ARCHIVED-Atdan Guest

When I started my Scout I wanted to be an Assassin and imagine my surprise when I did my lv 20 class quest and I became a Ranger( I didn't do enough research to figure out assassin was a freeport only class)

I'm now 23 and I love my Ranger and I'm happy I didn't delete him. Playing solo so far I have found to be a bit hard but figuring out how to take down different mobs is part of the fun.

I have most of my skills at App4 and Adept1, always have tier 3 food and drink going, always use Poison and ALWAYS use your HO's to the best atvantage( toggle the HO to Ringing Blow instead of Swindlers Luck). I also have all orange equipment and weapons and this makes a big difference in my ability to solo. I'm having so much fun with my Ranger I no longer play my other characters.

So keep the faith guys because Rangers Rock

Loco Enano
    Lv23 Gnome Ranger
    Random Acts
    AB Server
  4. ARCHIVED-bosmer24 Guest

The word "Ranger"alone has always struck a cord in me for some reason.In every rpg i always make a ranger type character.Something about being wild and out about in the wilderness alone and outnumbered.Thanks everyone who replied.I recall all the ranger jokes as well from back in the day.

How do you know a ranger broke into your house?

Your chihuahua is camping there corpse :eek:)

I'm not a big grouper,i seldomly do get into groups,so its good to hear about your solo experiences,and what sweet lewt you scored or just how fun it was to take something down yourself.

Well feel free to reply about yout Ranger and how you whooped on some big baddy.Real life calls,have fun.
  5. ARCHIVED-adrian76 Guest

You can EQ2ise the joke...

How do you know a ranger broke into your house?

When you get home, you find him stuck in your window, cursing about an agility nerf
  6. ARCHIVED-Lesca Guest

As far as I'm concerned, we're just a great class to play. OK so there's a few issues that need fixing, but find me one class that's totally happy and I'll run naked through the streets of Qeynos...

We're versatile... One of the most fun groups I had was a month or so ago in TS. We had six people - a tank, two healera, couple of casters and me. After an hour or so of very successful mob killing, the tank has to leave for work. Fair enough, so we look around for any other tanks LFG. None. Hmm... Do some OCC's... None. Not so good. We don't want to stop, and in the end we figure one of the rest of us will just have to be the MT for a while until we find a replacement. All eyes turn... to the ranger.

So I ended up tanking. Which was... different. Since rangers don't have anything in the way of a taunt, it wasn't always easy to keep everything on me, as we weren't just fighting single mobs but groups too. It became a fun challenge - sometimes the templar would get aggro from a mob, so I'd have to use things like Wounding Arrow and Backshot to haul it off them again. See! The Inredible Tanking Ranger! I think I did fairly well all things considered. No-one died (alright, there was one very close call with a wizzy, but I won't go into that), we gained a nice portion of xp, all got the mobs we needed for our quests, and you know what? We never did find that replacement tank.

Of course, this was before the agility got squelched, but even then I wasn't obscenely high agility-wise, only about 85 - 90 ish, and I did get hit a fair bit. I got to pull the mobs too, and thanks to my long bow I could get ones that were miles away without having to do a suicide run through lots of others. I disarmed the traps, and I snuck into dangerous places first to check them out. And thanks to Pathfinding I could track the quest mobs for everyone too.

So never let me hear someone say that rangers are useless, because we're bloody brilliant. :)
  7. ARCHIVED-Lesca Guest

Double post there, apologies...
    Message Edited by Lesca on 02-17-2005 03:04 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Haha! Best quote yet! ;)

Say if often and loud, I'm a ranger and proud!! w00t!! :D
  9. ARCHIVED-mellowknees72 Guest

Personally, I always liked:

Q: Why don't rangers get feign death?

A: Because they wouldn't survive the fall.

But the ranger stuck in a window punchline is pretty good, too...LOL.
  10. ARCHIVED-Coytee Guest

I love my 22 DE Ranger , I solo great, Group awesome , he flat shreds. With the recent Pally power pool Nerfs I may Main my Ranger from now on.

Coyote
    22 Darkelf
    Ranger
    Mistmoore
  11. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Hahaha, oh that's good. But...wait a second! I'm a kerran ranger, I survive ALL falls!! BWAHAHA!!!

<leaps off balcony in Mage Tower and is never heard from again>
  12. ARCHIVED-mellowknees72 Guest

Kerran rangers always land on their feet, right?

I'm a halfling ranger...do I always land on my belly? :p
  13. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Yes, on your belly - but you bounce to safety, of course. ;) It's a secret halfling ability, not even recorded in the skills list!

And you'd think us kerra would naturally land on our feet, but it's not always pretty. I got a little too feisty in the Mage Tower last week and really did plummet to my death. Quite amusing for the few folks milling about on the floor level by the pool... :p
  14. ARCHIVED-mellowknees72 Guest

Oh no! The secret's out! Now everyone will want to be a halfing! :p

The mage tower is an evil place - my hubby's poor Swashbuckler has fallen to his death 3 times in there. Poor little guy. The halfling belly flop didn't save him either. :(
  15. ARCHIVED-Kthaara Guest

I have posted this before - elsewhere - but it fits here. I really enjoy playing Ranger. I have found out that it is not as easy to solo as other classes, but that is ok with me. I have to work harder to get a level. Oh well. If I pull a yellow solo and do everything right I might win. If I dont hit everything perfect, I have to run. Same with white con solos and some blues. The fact that it is more difficult for me to solo just makes it sweeter for me when I get the ding.

I have guildmates that can easily solo with other classes. Bah. Good for them. If I wanted to solo easily I would roll another character. I like having to pick and choose my targets. I am having fun. I get my $13 per month worth of playing EVERY time. Heck, it is almost like getting a new game after each patch!

Kwentavius
  16. ARCHIVED-mellowknees72 Guest

You guys, I just want to say HURRAH to the original poster for starting this thread. Reading these forums can be very discouraging at times...it seems like some of the boards are nothing but negative, negative, negative. People attack each others' ideas, put each other down, insult one another, slam other classes' abilities, complain about Sony, and any other number of things. It's so nice to see a totally and completely positive thread - and of course, it's close to my heart since I really love being a ranger, too. :)

Thanks, you guys! You awesome rangers, you! :p
  17. ARCHIVED-Falamezar Guest

Hehe, I am mostly a positive ranger. I have only made one other post, and *sigh* it was a rant. After a long and frustrating time trying to complete a few quests. After listening to my roomate after yesterdays big patch (he's a pally), I realized that :

1. The pallys were not happy about the horse speed reduction. Even though it was never ment to give them that boost in speed.

2. Everyone else thinks that their class has been treated unfairly. Except for maybe the mages. And when you think about it, it makes sense that mages are the "uber" class. If you read alot of Fantasy novels (like me) you find that most of the most powerfull characters are mages.. Elminster, Gandolf, Merlin..just to name a few.

I for one think that fighters get old after a little bit......not a whole lot changes, at every level it's still the same..hack, hack, hack.
    Preists have to rely on the often fickle gods for there powers. And they don't get a whole lot of offensive abilities. Though Port-a-temples can be fun to play they are also being bombarded with tells from people to join their group. If you have a healer alt then you understand. Mine is a Druid and I am not very often able to solo without people bugging me.

And well, as for mages...to fragile for me. They have all this power at their disposal, but have you ever watched one have a mob come up from their pet tank to pound them. It doesn't last very long.

I personally like what i have to offer as a ranger. And i am still learning how to play him. And I don't really have to solo that often. I'll ask my guild if anyone wants me and they are pretty eager. I like the fact that I can run through an area and if it gets really bad all i have to do is run for the 3 sec it takes for me to escape. the other classes that get that have to wait a untill they are what 40? I have to say that it is one of my more usefull and used spells.

I also enjoy being the one that after the fighter gets done running around trying to find a certain mob that says " got it". I even managed to make the all powerfull mage jealous when i jumped from a cliff and took no damage while he came very close to dying.hehehe.

I also like to be able to temporarily tank for a group. A little scary at times but really kinda fun. Over all we really are the most usefull class out there. We don't get the glory, but pull a few people outta trouble and you are the hero. That and i have never had anyone complain about my DPS. In fact i have done somuch damage that i pulled the mob off of that tank 3 levels higher then me. And i was able to hold out long enough for him to get the aggro back.

So in short I love my ranger! Yeah the do need some tweeking but hey, what class doesn't?

P.S. those jokes are hillarious!!!
  18. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Indeed, the positive comments are great. My own forecast varies from mostly sunny to periodic thunderstorms ;) so I appreciate the extra sunshine when I'm having a cloudy day (i.e. my "Finally Discouraged" thread of a few days ago). I am struggling a bit with my ranger, the late-20s grind is tough - but I'll still persevere in my quest to hit 30. I did roll up a new alt (wood elf brawler), but I actually spend most of last night tradeskilling with Kaeros. ;) Dinged two craftsman levels and made many stacks of food and drink (mmm, ogre swill!) for my new alt and our lower-level guildmates and friends.
    Anyway, thanks again to Youpi and all the rest of ya, keep the positivity coming. Share war stories, humorous anecdotes, tips and tactics, etc - let's continue to encourage and inspire each other. We all know that playing a ranger can be a real uphill battle, but this thread does a great job of building solidarity without succumbing to a lot of gloom and doom. W00T!
  19. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

My humorous recent ranger fun: I've gotten my Safe Fall up above 90 (tho still not maxed) and I've been amazed at some of the jumps / falls I've made that haven't injured me at all. (The cliffs along the road just past the covered bridge in Antonica, for instance.) So I've gotten a little more foolhardy and started really pushing the envelope...sometimes a little too far.

A few days ago, I had to run up to the Tower of Vhalen for some quest, and looking down off the cliff left me wondering... "I'll probably die. But I just might make it. Hmmm...only one way to find out." And with that thought and an "oh well, what the hell" grin, I leapt off the edge, and plummeted straight down....to take 1200+ points of damage and instant death. Wheee!!

Fortunately I happened to be chatting with a cleric at the time, and he was kind enough to stop by and resurrect me. Moral of the story: kerra do always land on their feet, but they may shatter their legs. :p
  20. ARCHIVED-Saihung23 Guest

Wow....I only played EQ for a short time before losing the free time to play....but I have only recently bought EQ2 (One week in Qeynos so far) and I love it. I cant rightly say I am a ranger (Saihung level 14 Predator) but as soon as I get to the point where I have to choose...it will be a simple choice. Ranger.

I think one of the best things for me about playing a ranger in a game like this is that when I was younger...I always loved the ranger from AD&D. I would always play a ranger...buy the ranger handbooks...Books with rangers in them (Lord of The Rings)...I wanted to be a game warden when I was younger because I thought it was the closest thing in RL to being a real ranger (how far away is a heavy truck salesman from a ranger).

Alas, dreams do not always come, however, thanks to this game...I feel that ranger in my personality again. I will be very happy the day I choose ranger over the other options.

So, no......I have no ranger stories.....no great battles as of yet.....but I have big silicon dreams and fiberoptic aspirations...

Peace Health and Happiness :smileyvery-happy:
    Saihung lvl 14 Ranger Feydark