Polite Request for the next (and future?) expansion(s)

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Zabjade, Feb 23, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Lucan WAS a paladin he was punted out. He's now an Overlord level 100
    Yes I know why they are maze like, but they have done it before with EQ1 West Karana was mostly flat with some hills in the northen part and a river to the south (was annoyed that crossing the river didn't put you in anther zone which I later found out to be the Dead Hills) North Karana which had the Druid Ring and the Combine spire and two bridges one leading to East Karana (the Smallest as it was taken up by the Canyon enterance to High Pass) and South Karana with Split-Paw and KFC but with LOTS of area to run around in, flat pains Forrests to make things interesting and confusing :) (Corpse Run there was Nasty hehehehe)
  2. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    Lucan IS a paladin. He has paladin buffs. There is no such class as OVERLORD.
  3. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Gungo wrote:
    He is a Paladin that has killed every other Paladin that has ever crossed his path, so I don't think that makes him a Paladin anymore.
    He is also a Liech wich is a form of Undead, wich is aporant to Paladins, infact the undead is the primary thing Paladins are supposed to fight.
    As for the guards knowing if your "good" or "evil" there are spells in game(or where) that can "read your hora" and tell if you are good or evil. The Guards just have a version of this spell.
  4. ARCHIVED-Raston Guest

Ke'la, that has got to be the biggest cop out answer I've ever heard on the guards. Good and evil are subjective and what one person views as good, another might see as evil and that completely ignores the multitudes of shades of grey that exist.
    Many things that EQ2 has defined as good or evil aren't. War is not good nor evil, it simply is. Hate, Love, Valor, Honor are not the sole property of one side or the other.
    It is a bad mechanic, no need to defend it. It was a poorly concieved concept that didn't really do what it was meant to do, because the cities have no reason to hate each other based upon the current structure, there is no meat behind the angst as it were.. Now, I can understand why the guards in Freeport would want to kill Jal, he betrayed the city, though probably most wouldn't even know it under today's system, but the guards in Neriak wouldn't even know he existed unless he walked up an announced he was a paladin and they were to die (or some stupid hogwash such as that), which he is far too smart to do.
  5. ARCHIVED-Rhianni32 Guest

The philosophy of good vs evil aside for the purpose of my post...
    A ruler of a city being undead and having killed all paladins encounters is a pretty good roleplaying reason for not allowing paladins in his city. From what I gathered from Stormhold its a paladins duty to go out and kill all undead. Kinda makes it hard to peacefully live in lucan's city.
    As for the mechanics. Instead of getting rid of it they have a nice opportunity to work with it. As others have pointed out they can form underground societies. They can have a free LU without having to take the time to do new graphics for a new dungeon or zone. Just add in some quests.
  6. ARCHIVED-Raston Guest

Think my point is more along the lines that the concept doesn't really work without serious stretching of logic. And there reasons for the action could be easily replaced with a better mechanic that would better serve the role without creating undo hardship on the players to actually role play in a role playing game.
    I just find it an unnecessary limiting for potential role playing that could be done better.
    Also in regards to Freeport, to many paladins (not me per say) it is a holy city. There would be those who would be drawn there, even if in underground, even with a madman undead thing trying to kill them.
  7. ARCHIVED-Froed2004 Guest

Paladins are devoted to fighting the undead. Therefore, it would be hard to expect a city like Neriak to let them in, seeing that the city is not only is filled people who practice necromancy, but also houses a pretty decent population of vampires.
    The best way I could see them pulling something like that off in a believable way, would be if they added some quest lines that sneak you into the city as well as a hidden district, and turn it into something along the lines of the paladins of Freeport from EQ1, where they are there in the city as a resistance force. In that way you could actually allow both good and evil classes into each city without the whole betrayel thing, should you like actually being a specific class but want to live in a different city. That would probably be the best way to go.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Gungo wrote:
    Diety options for all races who could be paladins:

Dwarves > Paladin > Brell Serilis is the ONLY option.
    Erudite > Paladin > Quellious or Prexus
    Froglok > Paladin > Mithanial Marr is the only option.
    Gnome > Paladin > Brell Serilis, Bristlebane, or Solusek Ro (the class was added a few years in, and was quite an afterthought)
    Human > Paladin > Karana or Rodcet Nife in Qeynos, Erollisi or Mithanial Marr in Freeport (This was before Lucan took over the city, tricked them to their own deaths, and killed off any who remained...)
    Half Elf > Paladin > Tunare in Felwithe, Karana or Rodcet Nife in Qeynos, Erollisi or Mithanial Marr in Freeport.
    Halfling > Paladin > Bristlebane (another afterthought like the gnomes)
    HIgh Elf > Paladin > Tunare is the only option

Paladins in EQlive were Half Clerics, and with the exception of the Vah Shir, who were all spirit worshipping agnostics, EVERY Druid, Shaman, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, and Shadowknight had to choose a diety to follow. There were no exceptions.

You only point out that Lucan is a paladin because his statue has a paladin buff. Here's the lowdown. That is just a buff. Why the statue would have it in the first place makes no sense, but it's not an indication that Lucan himself is a paladin. In fact, he's a fallen paladin who grew power hungry. Mithanial Marr himself stripped him of his powers when he pursued becoming a lich. Regardless of what god a paladin follows, they are bound by codes of honor where they dedicate thier lives to their god and the abolishment of evil.
  9. ARCHIVED-Galithdor Guest

I'm just wondering why people are trying to bring stuff from real life into a video game...where characters a pre-programmed on what to think...

Of course in real life, people's opinions differ, but this is a game, don't expect that kind of thought when this is a Good v Evil game (technically :p)

Just sayin...
  10. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Jalathan@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Wich is the Cop-out the fact that the goal of Lucan is too kill all Paladins in Freeport, or the Goal of all Paladins in Freeport to kill Lucan. Or was it the fact that there has been a spell in game scence launch that "Detects Evil" and "Detects Good" depending on the class you have, how difficult would it be to have guards that know that same spell?
    Also last I checked people from say New York are very good at deturmining someone is NOT from New York, heck people from Manhattan are fairly good at deturmining your from Brookland. There are many socital tells and dialects that form when people are cut off from each other for extended periods of time. It could mearly be the way you walk or your accent that gives you away as not being alined with Freeport.
  11. ARCHIVED-Raston Guest

I give up, it is a stupid mechanic that people seem to insist upon defending. It was stupid when it went in, it is stupid now.
    It does nothing but inhibit RP. How can any paladin cult actually seek to destroy Lucan in FP if they are instantly recognized? How could any assassin get close to Antonia Bayle if her guards always knew exactly who was who? It defeats the whole purpose about how and why we are supposed to hate each other (in game), your supposed reason for supporting this idea...
    Wouldn't it make more sense to implement a way in the game to actually generate this antagonist behavior? This is the only way they could think of to symbolize that the two sides hate each other? Come on, they create this beautiful and highly imaginary world and they supposedly don't have the creativeness to come up with a more fitting solution? I don't believe that.
  12. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Ok to change the subject, I hope...

I also wouldn't mind being able to travel west from Antoica by boat (To a mostly water zone the size of oh say the Commonlands and Antonica put together) to see what remains where Odus used to be, Wouldn't be surprised if there are pieces of Luclin there as they could very possibly been pulled there by the activation of the New Nexus (Call it "Shards/Daggers of Luclin" and Greig's End somhow survived the plummet?) .
    I would also love to see Talysra’s Paw and the rest of the Ebb Islands.
  13. ARCHIVED-Froed2004 Guest

I'd still love to see an entirely underwater expansion. It would probably be a nightmare to program, but I think the dynamics would be freakin' awesome!
  14. ARCHIVED-Valdimere Guest

NO... MORE.... FLOATING.... LAND... MASSES.... PLEASE.
  15. ARCHIVED-dawy Guest

Ummudien@Guk wrote:
    Agreed
  16. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Gungo wrote:
    Yes! I shall be a High Elf Paladin of Innoruuk! From the Fae city of Kelethin!

Gungo wrote:
    Lucan was a paladin of Mithaniel Marr. He has turned from that path and is no longer considered a paladin. In EQ1 he was statted as a warrior to reflect the loss of his paladin abilities. In the non-canon EQRPG d20 game he was statted as a paladin/warrior crossclass with no access to any paladin abilities. In EQ2 he's just a plot device and as such he's considered an ex-paladin turned lich or revenant.

Messing around with making all deities avaiable to all classes and all alignments and whatever is screwing with one of the very foundations our game world has been built on for the past 10+ years. For lack of a better, less cheesy term, it's part of the soul of the game.
  17. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Valdimere wrote:
    Seconded, unless they are somehow made of Pumice and are floating in WATER!
  18. ARCHIVED-Trevalon Guest

Jalathan@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Have you ever stopped to think that the reason they hate each other is just because that is how it is.

For instance on a Tolkien reference, Why do the forces of Mordor hate the forces of Gondor? Because one is inherently evil and one is inherently good and by definition Evil and Good are at constant war with one another. This is just a constant of the entire universe. Good will always seek to destroy Evil and vice-versa. Angels Vs. Demons - Heaven vs. Hell this is a simple concept that has held true since the invention of fictional writing.
    Perhaps you are reading too much into and should just take it at face value in that the fact that Antonia Bayle hates Lucan for how he rules Freeport and he hates her for the same reason. This leads to them hating each other, and so they are at war.

Now as far as who can worship what god, I dont think it should matter personally and the faction itself should be done ala EQ1. For instance a Gnome Necromancer worshipping Bertox wouldnt be liked in Qeynos but a Gnome Paladin worshipping Brell would.
    Oh well, what do I know.
  19. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Trevalon wrote:
    Just an FYI, Antonia may hate Lucan, but it is not because of the way he runs freeport, she basically said as much at the end of the "good" lead-in quest to Sentinel's Fate. She specifically told her advisors that she and her group need to work to find and restore Lucan to leadership of FP, because he is the only one that can maintain control of those people. As Qeynos doesn't have the stomic to do what it takes to control the Orcs, Trolls, and other FP races. Meaning either wipe them out, or like Lucan rule with an Iron fist.
  20. ARCHIVED-Ikke Guest

Valdimere wrote:
    Q.F.E.