Please stop researchers from stealing research time when recipe is done

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Brigh, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

Several times now I have clicked to reduce time when the recipe is already complete, thereby wasting the opportunity to reduce the research time.
  2. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

While less than an ideal 'feature', it is kinda funny =P
  3. ARCHIVED-SlashnGut Guest

Easy fix. Look to see if the research is done before choosing to reduce time. If it is ready take the recipe then reduce the time. Takes all of 2 seconds.
  4. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Hakdagutz@Butcherblock wrote:
  5. ARCHIVED-Kuulei Guest

I have done that on more than one occassion
    So now I have gotten into the habit of always checking the progress of recipes before coaching. With 14 apprentices going in one home, its the only way to keep up with recipes.
    One really should get in the habit of checking the progress before selecting to coach! Considering after awhile, you'll find your researches no longer in sync due to the fact some have more recipes than others each tier.
  6. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

The button could be greyed out.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    It could, but taking a few seconds to check and prevent it from happening is simple. I made the mistake once, haven't made it again.
  8. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

Cyliena wrote:
    The fricken progress bar could display by default when you click the npc...
    Why do I need to press extra buttons to see it?
    I mean its not a big deal, but seems pretty simple and self evident that if I target this npc, I want to see his progress.
  9. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

I agree that the research interface is horrible. I already posted my feedback on improving it and moving the whole thing into the research tab of the spellbook, but on the current npc based research, why do I have to click multiple times to see my current research then to accept that the research is done? Why do my droak researchers have an option to tell me that they don't have that option?
    And for the original poster's concern, although I can avoid it by carefully not clicking the wrong thing, this mistake requires two parties. The person clicking the wrong thing, and the bad interface. Why is the game full of ways to easily screw up by just using the interface they gave you? (Who didn't confuse suspend and destroy on their first merc?)
    I don't mind making fun of myself if I click it, but that's a quick and careless error. SOE is responsible for the interface, which is equally at fault for being foolish, and that can't be explained as a single hasty mistake (at least not in a good way). So don't dismiss the poster because a workaround exists for some bad mechanic or interface.
  10. ARCHIVED-Karimonster Guest

I'm the queen of clicking the button to see about progress, then clicking the "start researching" button at the bottom of the window because I'm looking for something to close the window with.
  11. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

Oh yeah, that's another good point. At least they give a confirmation dialog on that one.
  12. ARCHIVED-Caela Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    Do you not get a status bar above the NPC's head - this is on mouseover - don't even have to have the NPC targeted? I am using a custom UI - but I thought everyone got this... Or is this not what you are talking about?

[IMG]
  13. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

Caela wrote:
    I do for this one, I do not for either of the SS researchers unless I first check their progress. This would be both the raid researcher and the heroic one.
    And don't get me started on how stupid big they are and are not resizable ;)
  14. ARCHIVED-Caela Guest

Oh - I thought we were talking about the normal ones since we were talking about reducing research time - the raid/heroic ones don't reduce research time do they?
    I just stick mine in the basement and forget about him. (He is stupidly large)
  15. ARCHIVED-SlashnGut Guest

The SS researchers are rather large. You do get the box above their heads (or at least I do using the basic EQ2 UI without mods) but because of their size you may not see it depending on where the researcher is placed. I can actually see a couple of the boxes from SS researchers while standing on the first floor of my house even though the researchers are in the basement. They really should have thought about the size of the researchers from SS or at least let us make them smaller.
  16. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

You can have three researchers, and only one will display a progress bar.
  17. ARCHIVED-Zivgar Guest

That happens to me when I have the 2 in my house. The AoD and the SS one. The SS one will have the bar over his head so I can't see the status on the AoD appren. Sometimes I go quick and hit the coaching and miss out on it.
    It is a minor thing, but I would rather just have it when I click on said apprentice his/her status bar will show instead of having to hit the show progress button. I do 9 a day and would like the to have anything to make it go faster. Plus anything to improve the system is always a good thing.
    I would rather have them just make the progress bar show when you click the apprentice instead of wasting their time with SOEmote, but thats just me.
  18. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Caela wrote:
    This doesn't show until i 'check progression', then it shows :\
  19. ARCHIVED-Raienya Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    I have 9 characters who are all researching in the same house. The coldain researcher is the only one that does not give a progress bar upon mouseover. I have /bug reported it, but have not seen anything about a fix for it. I am using default UI, nothing custom. I don't count the SS one, seeing as he is so big even when kneeling that I have to click on him anyway :)
  20. ARCHIVED-Tylia Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    They are stupid big. There was a lot of feedback on this before AoD went live and at least they made the researchers kneel. At first, they stood.. very, very tall.
    To the OP, I have noticed that if I speak to my SS researcher before speaking to my other apprentice, that the progress bar does not show when I mouse over that apprentice. I agree though, when a recipe is finished researching, you should not be able to coach the apprentice until a new recipe is started.