Please, end the Void storyline.

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu, Jun 20, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

I liked the Void in the original vision for EQ2, with the Obelisk of Lost Souls, but they completely changed the flavor of the concept for TSO, and in my opinion, took alot of the edge away.
  2. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

Isn't that the point of this expansion? To bring the Void storyline to its conclusion as asked or hoped for? Then saying it's shoved at the players after wanting for a while for it to conclude somehow? Really.
    It took a while to play out over last 4.5 years and Vhalen tied up few threads with this expansion before he moved on. Probably it was delivered too quickly, but isn't that what any of you wanted? To wrap things up quickly? Then move to next theme or plot?
  3. ARCHIVED-Uncaged Guest

Coniaric wrote:
    Yes.....but sadly I do not believe it is over by a long shot. Maybe it will be passed over in the next expansion but make no mistake, I do not think we are rid of the Void storyline at all.
    My hope is that instead of just one storyline of Ice Giants returning, is that they perhaps bring back the Roellik, underfoot, other things as well. Maybe they are saving that for after Velious/Highborne/Halas etc. whatever your guess is to the Rime. If they really wanted to stop the crying by top enders, they should dedicate an expanded dev base temporarily for the next several months and give us a couple different directions to explore.
    Standard MMO fair is to keep dangling a small carrot in front of Raiders/24/7 game freaks to keep them happy. Maybe they should bombard people with options to reach level 90. Two seperate and completely viable paths to reach 90. Even if the quests gave little exp to grind it out, just add a crapload of them to keep people busy. Would make life much more interesting on Norrath and then they could focus on much smaller but maybe bi-monthly updates to accent the main stories. Maybe even two different sets of T4-5 gear from two story lines to give people options of what they want to gear up with. As an SK, I feel there is really only one T1-4 path to take right now. Giving people different directions might keep them occupied longer. Uber raiders would likely grab two sets of this gear as well. Healing/DPS gear; Tanking/DPS gear; Utility/DPS gear etc. etc.
    Come on Sony break the mold here and set a new path to MMO development. Hammer us with so much content we cant do it all in three weeks. Spend a little RL cash upfront and your subscriber base will reward you with continued subs.
  4. ARCHIVED-Itros Guest

/Signed, Please no more void storyline. I too (as a few others have posted) would like to see some of the Velious content come back.
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Coniaric wrote:
    Actually, it really was shoved at us.
    When the game first started, we were given access to the Obelisk of Lost Souls. We didn't know what it was, but we knew the shadowmen were involved. Fair enough, we all thought maybe this was the homeland or base of operations or something. We didn't know anything about them in EQlive, so maybe now we'd be able to explore that a little.
    Desert of Flames came out and we found no void involvement, not giving any thought about it.
    Kingdom of Sky came, and again, no void involvement. We still didn't think anything of it.
    During KoS, Vhalen started to put his gearworks in motion by asking me to investigate an odd happening in Nektropos Castle. The zone had been put in the game from the very start, but we never really found out too much about what the history of it's family was about. I discovered the Idol of Everling, which had a strange faded message. I decided to take it to Mor'Tael the Antiquitor in Maj'Dul, and Rikantus in Antonica, and got a strange and forboding message from both of them. Both wished that I had never brought the idol to either of them. There was obviously something big behind it.
    A few months later, Nektropos Castle 3 would open up, where we would find Rikantus Everling dealing with the Shadowmen for some still unknown reason. To see that the Shadowmen had returned as still no particular sign of any huge plot being unraveled, but the books we found in that zone told us about the Rune of Vul, and Everling's travels to a place described at what sounded like the Obelisk of Lost Souls. Something was starting to unfold.
    Echoes of Faydwer came out, and we found the Obelisk of Blight, another zone similar to the Obelisk of Lost Souls. We found out that the Shadowmen were secretly infiltrating our societies by possessing various figureheads scattered around Norrath, as well as their plans to try and take over a few dragons. It was obvious at this point that a storyline was unfolding.
    When Kunark was released, there was no obvious void activity at first sight. It wasn't until players reached level 80 that they would find a quest north of the City of Mist called The Fate of Norrath. We would find out that Fiddy Bobick was suspiciously still alive over the past 500 years, despite how long halflings actually live, because he was possessed by a void being. We killed him, then killed Trak'anon, only to be greeted by Mayong Mistmoore, who told us that something huge was about to happen. An event predicted by the Shissar of the end of the world.
    Vhalen later left the game, leaving behind a clue that was the password. Back in Nektropos Castle 3, a living, talking cauldron kept Everling's notes on records. By saying the correct password, we would find out what was written on the ancient Shissar calendar that predicted the end of the world. Vhalen told myself and a few others that he had written all the lore for the next expansion, but after that it would be entirely up to the developers where they took the game from there.
    Last summer, we found void ruptures breaking out all over Norrath, the first signs of an invasion from the void.
    It was at this point that we were officially forced to aknowledge the Void storyline.
    When The Shadow Odyssey came out, we were forced to deal with them whether we liked it or not, and most of us don't. We want to move on. The whole thing started out as nothing, and balooned into the main storyline of the game. Why couldn't the same have happened to something else from the original game, like orcs or something?
  6. ARCHIVED-Indur Guest

unfortunatelt, there was a very clear void presense in Odus. void creatures all over in the preview. including some that looked to be made of organic material....
  7. ARCHIVED-Anestacia Guest

Melancholie@Oasis wrote:
    I saw that and I just dont know what to say. Im so fuming mad right now its ridiculus lol
  8. ARCHIVED-Homeskillet Guest

Is that preview available anywhere?
  9. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Melancholie@Oasis wrote:
    Bloody shoot me. Someone needs to visit SOE headquarters and issue a full round of smackings to everyone involved with this.
  10. ARCHIVED-Methriln Guest

11. ARCHIVED-Ajjantis Guest

QFE, please End the Void story line. Lets go back to the magical world of norrath.
  12. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

The void storyline will be ending with Odus.
  13. ARCHIVED-Chulanowa Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    Models are part of immersion. Ever did a Fear or Hate raid back in the day? Some of the models might have been tweaked a bit, but you could still go "Well, that's a zombie, and that's a killer spider, and that's a harpy, and that's OH CRAP WHO PULLED CAZIC?!"
    Fast forward to GoD. "Okay, that's a... anime... elf... halfling... THING. And I guess that's... a... big pink guy, and that's... a spiky bulldog... thing... Oh! a turtle, I saw a turtle!"
    Omens of War had most of the same models, but it had three other things going for it - the environments were not flat and lifeless like GoD, there were plenty of recognizable "fantasy" models in there (Snakelady, dragon person, killer squid, etc) and to top it off, it was set on another planet, so that managed to help immersiveness when playing in it
    Gates of Discord was a horrible expansion for EQlive because of the models. Sure you can argue "well it played just the same" but if all I wanted to see were numbers, I could find a text-based game and get the same thing. I didn't want to see lifeless, repetitive environments and "random alien dude" and zones named as if someone just whacked their keyboard with a foam noodle (Yxxta? How do you pronounce that?)
    When you play a fantasy game, you want it recognizable as fantasy. Aliens in EQ works just as well as as Centaur in Halo.

As for the void itself... It IS horribly repetitive. So is Mayong Mistmoore. He has his fingers in too many pies, and it's starting to smell like the writers are just going "A Wizard Did It!"
  14. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    IIRC the planes (Hate & Fear) were not open at lauch in EQ1, but shadowmen were pretty much everywhere once you left the newbies areas.
    I guess I liked the Void storyline 'cause it didn't feel "alien" for me. (It wasn't like Mata Muram's invasion in EQ1)
    That said I wish we could get some time off saving Norrath and rediscover lost lands like Kithicor, Highpass or even a Rathe Lagoon ;)
  15. ARCHIVED-TwistedFaith Guest

EQ2 is high fantasy all this void stuff just doesnt fit in with my idea of what high fantasy is, its boring, its out of place and nobody seems to enjoy it.
    The game needs proper villans, naggy is a perfect example of a great character steeped in history and lore, the void rubbish just doesnt have that appeal.
    Honestly I am amazed at how out of touch SOE seem to be with the playerbase.
  16. ARCHIVED-Stump4 Guest

From what I read on EQWire, the DEV panel said Sentinel's Fate will be the END of the Void storyline. So there you have it.
  17. ARCHIVED-livejazz Guest

Sharakari@Unrest wrote:
    & there was MUCH rejoicing.
  18. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Flaye@Mistmoore wrote:
    If you don't like it now, why are you rejoicing at another ~2 years of the void?
  19. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

20. ARCHIVED-Galithdor Guest

Deson wrote:
    Because, it shows that we wont see the void in the expansion after this one...