Players Can Create Endless Content By Roleplaying

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by Princeofpaladins, May 24, 2014.

1. Princeofpaladins Active Member

If we get bored in this game, just as in real life, it is only because we are relying on other people or outside forces to entertain us. There is already a ton of great content in the game, and the options for customizing/individualizing our characters are vast. So, if we, the players, choose to actually interact with each other in a way that promotes roleplaying, I know we can make Norrath ten times as fun.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I'm going to roleplay somebody who doesn't care for the slightest in Roleplaying, and recommends to stick to the RP section of the forums.
    Kaedian66, Wirewhisker and suka like this.
  3. Princeofpaladins Active Member

This is General Gameplay Discussion, so I can bring up pretty much any topic I want. Thank you :)
  4. suka Well-Known Member

yes you can. but more constructively, maybe you could point out how to roleplay for people on a non-roleplaying server who might be interested. roleplaying can mean different things to different people.

for instance, my nephew doesn't know anything about "roleplaying", but i have seen him get deep into his character and even try talking the way he thinks his toon will talk. he also makes up little quests for his toon that are not scripted. this is a 16 year old autistic kid for whom the game has opened up a whole new world. if he can do that, anyone with a bit of imagination can. he doesn't interact with anyone but family and he will get intohis toon even if no one around him does.

Other people seem to think roleplaying is totally dependent on other people to interact with you. while on a roleplaying server you may find player created events, they don't seem to go very well on other servers. people often come ot the game to get away from interacting with the world. they want to relax, get into their game have some down-time. interacting may be the last thing they want to do. however, getting into their character and roleplaying doesn't have to demand interaction. it is still roleplaying- when you immerse yourself into your character and try to see the world as they do- kind of like when a novelist writes a good book. only it is your game you are writing.
  5. Deago Well-Known Member

Every time I read one of OP's posts I feel I am rolling in a baked thread. :p
  6. suka Well-Known Member

you know though, even though i like your idea- you contradicted yourself. first you mention not relying on other people to entertain us, then you mention interacting. sorry, the two don't go hand in hand. either we rely on ourselves to create our game time and play experience, or we rely on our interactions with others to create it for you. personally, i prefer to rely only on myself, but that is kind of the way i am- self sufficient. no one can make me happy- i have to make myself happy. no one can make me bored, but i can easily bore myself.

the game is the same way. it is what you make it. if you depend on interaction with others to create your world, you are going to get very lonely. but if you create your own world, then anyone who comes into it is part of the dream and can be accepted as such and nothing they do can change what you have created for yourself. i really think that is the basis for roleplaying or any other part of the game experience.
  7. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

When I made my first character, I didn't know anything about the game or lore. But when I made my second one, I made her to be the evil identical twin of my first. And I had a wee story about how they had been separated at birth and one had been spirited away to Freeport to become a warlock etc. Then I created the best friend to my first character, a high elf wizard. And so on. While I don't role-play as such, I created an interweaving story through all 16 characters. Maybe one day I will write it all down.
    Malfaer and suka like this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

exactly. that is what i am talking about.
  9. Kalihel New Member

I roleplay in my head pretty much every time I play. I don't like drama and suffer social anxiety so I don't try to make a big production of it with others.
    Kalihel is small for an Iksar, and she has no head spikes so she looks kind of childlike by Iksar standards. She is devoted to her creator, Cazic-Thule, and the Void that created Him, and relishes the suppression of her own fears. Being cold and calculating is the way she likes it. She is not so much evil as emotionally alienated from the non-scaled races. None of them truly understand what her mind is like. Her overall plan is to move back to Kunark and create a new home there, or at more grandiose moments to retake one of the many ruins for her own.

I'm thinking of writing some fan fiction, I have a lot more to say about her but I'm out of time for now.
    suka likes this.
  10. Veinal Member

Roleplaying can be fun, profitable and dangerous. Watch the movie Catch Me If You Can (based on a true story). Frank Abagnale roleplayed a doctor, a pilot and a few other things. Sure it got him thrown in jail. But it also got him a well paying job with the FBI.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

umm, not quite the same. I don't "roleplay" a ranger, or a necro, i am one. big difference between pulling a con and a scam in real life and roleplaying in a game. roleplaying in games allows you to bond with each character, allow different facets of your own personality to take over at different times, to explore those deep pockets within yourself you never knew existed. great therapy - but all games should be. for me, it is like writing a great fiction- i get to put it all together into a special cast of my toons - some of whom get to interact since they are on different accounts.
  12. Charlice Well-Known Member

I don't roleplay. I'm an Arasai in real life. Weeeeeee!
    suka and Rotherian like this.
  13. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Yes, I have done and do exactly what your nephew does with my characters. It's kind of funny though, that there are role-playing and non-roleplaying servers for a Roleplaying Game.
  14. Princeofpaladins Active Member

I don't rely on other people for my roleplaying. I can have fun on my own without interacting with anyone. Barely talked to anyone on the game for a month a few months back and had a lot of fun just roleplaying my character. However, even greater amounts of fun can be had by roleplaying with other players, imo. Though I understand it's not for everyone. Still there are probably many people who may not think they like roleplaying simply because they've never tried it.
  15. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Taking the time to develop such ideas about our characters makes them so much more fun to play imo.
  16. Griff Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but...role play has it's place, right up to the point where someone is attempting to express a point as opposed to role playing in the game. Case in point being a game mechanic that could perhaps enhance the quality of the game being put forward in the game forums.

Stating that the changes made to "x" in the game have somewhat diminished the enjoyment of that aspect of the game for yourself and other players because (explanation) is likely to spark a thread that may actually provide valid and useful arguments, both pro and con. After all, many of us come to the forums to express our real life opinions on how our entertainment in our leisure time could be improved upon.

Stating that "Miffy" was so outraged by the changes that her little wings would not even flutter and now all she will do is sit in the corner and pout because "X" was changed, while perhaps cute to some, is a turn off to others. To someone not into the role play aspect to that depth it tends to discount what may very well be a valid point. Explaining it as "X" adds nothing to the game other than frustrating some players and taking away from the enjoyment of others because...is more likely to gain support.

The other point I would mention is that respect for other players should always be paramount. When joining a pick up group that might not contain players that role play accept that being colorful is often welcome, being a nuisance is not. Bones in Star Trek strongly disliked transporters, yet used them when the mission called for it. Apply that to your apprehension to fast travel in the game and meet up promptly to the "mission" when called. When you arrive, like creating a superb meal, add the spices in moderation, as over seasoning is distasteful in the end.
    Palarran, suka and Charlice like this.
  17. Kalihel New Member

I don't know I once played a mage (in D&D) who kept a magic sword that she found because it helped her kill a skeleton (natural 20!) and I thought it would be funny not to give it to the fighter. People did get annoyed though, which is one of the reasons I pretty much RP solo and don't play tabletop games anymore. I can't stand min/maxers who only want to do what is best for their stats. That and the same overworked characters PKing (bad DMs, but I got too tired to DM myself at around 25 years old) ran me right out of D&D after playing it for over 10 years. Don't get me started on this topic, sorry to derail. :)
    suka likes this.
  18. Deago Well-Known Member

I put on my robe and wizard hat... /que_music

:p
  19. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

That line will never get old! Lol
  20. suka Well-Known Member

i agree. some people can take roleplaying too far. it is one thing to be wrapped up in your toon, it is another to impose on others. as for game mechanics changing, i would simply say if they offend you, don't use them. there is nothing mandatory in the game and it is diverse enough to accommodate a variety of playstyles.

If someone wants to group, but doesn't like fast travel for instance, they have two options- group only with others who don't like fast travel and understand that you will most likely be late and someone will be later. or leave a day earlier. but if the "mission" demands fast travel, then it is time to make some "sacrifices" for the good of all. or maybe that person should not group.

i hate grouping, but i do it sometimes for the sake of guild members and friends. if someone's roleplaying prevented me from accomplishing the mission in a timely manner so that all involved can get back to other things on their agenda, or if it in any way prevented the mission from being completed properly, that person would quickly be put on my "do not group" list. I don't impose my "getting into character" on others and i don't expect them to impose any self-imposed restrictions on me. after all, you don't live in a shell, even on Norrath, and as in life common courtesy is a must.
    Griff likes this.