Players Can Create Endless Content By Roleplaying

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by Princeofpaladins, May 24, 2014.

1. suka Well-Known Member

yeah it comes down to this: if you solo, you do whatever you want. if you group, it is need before greed. when grouping, self takes a back seat to what is needed. unfortunately, some people group because they can greedily grab the best for themselves without any concern for who in the group might need it more. it makes a big difference if you understand the different concepts.
    Griff likes this.
  2. Malfaer Member

I'm the same way. I know how all my characters are connected, whether through bloodline, friendship, enmity, etc. I don't really RP, but I do make choices based on how that character would act or feel, and not so much on what is "best" from a stats viewpoint (Case in point, a Tunare-following Ranger and Paladin).

Makes the game way more fresh.
    suka likes this.
  3. Kalihel New Member

I've never really acted out in a game like this, because unlike tabletops where the DM can restore order however he chooses, these games have actual hard set rules. Find a sword, it's red to you, you cannot use it. Or the stats are overwhelmingly all wrong, and it's staring you in the face. Or the game just makes sure the fighter gets it right away. I don't mind this, and I've sort of matured as a person to where I don't want to piss people off even by accident (though depending on reaction I may just decide not to play with them anymore.) I have always had social anxiety and it used to help to just get way into character, but like I said I can't hack tabletops anymore period.

I once had a priest/mage dual classed half elf named *****, she was a priestess of ***, she was a fan of quiet deaths by natural causes. She cared a lot for the mental state of the dead, and would help the angry ones. She used to piss people off by going Speak with Dead and small talking them before getting to the big stuff, whereas mr. I'm a no-lifer who does everything super eficient couldn't handle it. He thought the character was stupid, but she had great stats in wisdom AND intelligence. There was another time when she went through a time portal and decided to stay there awhile, and people didn't like that. Once she ran from battle because her shield spells were cheesed by the DM so she could not block "Magic" or "non-magic." Which was pretty damned stupid. It didn't help that she could not be raised, but was high enough level that she would be subsumed into *** and become one of Her hand maidens.

I put so much work into that character that with a few tweaks I started writing her as a recurring character in my fiction. Not in a D&D world, but a world of my own design and even the real world. She is an adventurer searching for the root of all things, not combat per say. ***, death, the Void, is her mother and she is at one with Her.
    suka likes this.
  4. Griff Well-Known Member

It's funny you should say that...

My first encounter with a hard core role play character was in EQ1. I grouped with them in Lavastorm. After we arrived and started to fight our way in the healer handed my character a bunch of heal potions. I thanked them figuring they were being kind. The healer then started fighting the mobs along side of me at which time I noticed I was not getting heals. I mentioned that and they replied that their character would never heal my class/race since they were in conflict.

I argued the point from the standpoint of, you are a healer, I am a damage dealer, play your role in the game. They explained they gave me potions, were treating me as a mercenary, just be more careful. I took their advice and backed off on the next pull at which time they were bested by the encounter. I then explained that as a mercenary, I was there to protect them, for rewards, but not at the cost of my life.

We disbanded and they were welcomed to ignore.
  5. suka Well-Known Member

that was an awesome take on her. I loved it.

Yeah while in eq2 those swords we pick up that are no trade or heirloom and none of us can use often make good transmute or offerings, in eq1 they would have gone on my wall. provided no one else in group actually needed them to fight with.
  6. suka Well-Known Member

lol yeah i had some problems in eq1 because the healer mercs who were high elves would often ignore certain group members but the dark elves didn't care, they heal everyone. In the game, we make choices just as in real life. if that healer was so opposed to you, she shouldn't have been playing with you, period. if you were in the same group as she was, then she was there by choice and was obligated as a group member to do her job- heal.

Clerics in Eq1 have strange dynamics. I grouped with one once who bragged that he never died. he was pretty high level and had special procs that helped him. I took him at his word, however, my toons could and often did die. I had a Mage and a druid and both were in group. Our whole thing was to get something for my Drakken Mage that day. She couldn't heal herself. As he and his alts were fighting i saw her health drop. I am a druid. I can heal her, so i did. I hit a group heal that i was not aware would take off certain procs. He suffered instant death- which he said had never happened before. After that, i read my heals more carefully before using them, but i didn't feel that i was in a position to know if his proc was affected by my heal. after all, i wasn't a cleric and he not being a druid, was unaware that one of my heals could kill him.
  7. Seiffil Active Member

Most people I knew who roleplayed in EQ1 didn't go that far, or only did so with certain people. Then there are always those who you don't know whether they're attempting to roleplay or if they truly are that clueless.

I don't recall anything that a druid could do that would cause a cleric to self destruct and just die in EQ1 though. The majority of heals in that game until later on were just direct heals, and no heal procs were truly that strong. But then again I haven't played since right around when the Prophecy of Ro was released so things might have changed since then.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

i agree. but the problem was caused by the adrenaline line of spells. they proc a ward of nature which will invalidate other procs if the druid is strong enough. I didn't realize that my ward of nature proc could override whatever proc he was using.
  9. Kaedian66 Active Member

You weren't by any chance on Lanys T'Vyl when that happened were you?
  10. Kaedian66 Active Member

Roleplaying unfortunately is one of those things where people could encounter dozens of great rpers that are able to pull it off without being all in your face and then that one cleric that won't heal (easiest example) because of his/her belief system and WHAM rp sucks etc

Ironic when you consider we all tacitly sign on for it when we log into an mmoRPg.
    suka likes this.
  11. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

A good RP story is always interesting, but I don't think I've ever seen one. What I have seen is people acting out their own stories that want you to be fodder for theirs. It's like the kid on the playground going "ok..now you say this and I'll be the ...".

In order to RP well, you have to know your own story and be able to listen for cues from the person telling you theirs. Then, when their reaction is different than what you expected, you have to roll with it. That's the hard part...the 'rolling with it'. When your story verges away from what it was because of an interaction with someone, you have to be willing for your story to change - just like a real life encounter with someone can change you.

All RP isn't high drama, either. It's the everyday stuff that makes it interesting. The ones that want the high drama all the time are the tiresome ones, IMO.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

tailoring is hard work so my provisioner made you a special serving tray. right-click on it and choose "refresh yourself" to get food and drink while in the house- and this one zones with you too.