Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Estred Well-Known Member

Is there a way you could eliminate the seam on the back? A good paint job would try to hide the seam with connected clouds or other features to hide the edge. Currently your clouds are just clipped off and it looks a bit odd, at least to me.

There also is a seam on the top which is most visible from above but a bit from the side. Overall interesting though hope perhaps a little critique helps :)
  2. Rawl Well-Known Member

[IMG]

I made some adjustments to the normals and diffused map. I can't really blend the side skies with the back panel sky because they are the same image. If I knew how to flip the meshs for the sides so the images would be flipped horizontally, I could make it match up better. I made some adjustment so even though they don't blend together where they meet, I think it looks a bit better. I adjusted the alignment and streching of the carved wood exterior of the arch so it looks better now. Thanks for pointing out these things. It is good to have another set of eyes to see stuff that you miss.
    Xillean likes this.
  3. Estred Well-Known Member

Alright. You did manage to remove the seam from the top so that looks much better. Nicely done, just depends on what SOE says if you submit it.
    Rawl likes this.
  4. Karrane Well-Known Member

I love that !!!!!!!!!!!
    Rawl likes this.
  5. Meeba Member

Personally, while the clouds are whimsical, they really don't sell the cabinet for me. I'd much rather see the green countertop color as the "background" for the back of the shelves, and a darker wood paneling instead of sky behind the trees on the lower part. To me, that would tie the color scheme together a lot better, and I can see that then being used in my little Fae's acorn home. I can't see much use for it with the clouds, unfortunately.

*cashes in another 2 cp*

I must admit that I love the overall shape and the connecting scrolly bits! And also the leaf-like wood texture! The trim around the lower panels and the edge of the top part are really nice too!
    Rawl, Afista and Cyliena like this.
  6. Rawl Well-Known Member

Okay, here is a comparison picture. I know you might prefer the one on the right, but I'd like to see which one is most popular.
    [IMG]
    On the left we have the whimsical Woodelf version where the green countertop is an inference of a green grassy field under a beautiful sky.

On the right, the color theme is more important than the implied sense of the whimsical one.

My preference is for the left one, but I think they would both have their place in some of my toon's homes, in particular Leaf's Super Leafdome home.

I look forward to seeing which candidate is elected ;)
  7. Misstake Well-Known Member

I think for me personally I would love the bottom of the left-hand one with the top of the right. The sky behind the trees on the bottom left one really makes the design brighter and I really like that. BUT both are GORGEOUS. Keep up the great work.
    Rawl likes this.
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

I side with Misstake here too, the bottom of the Clouds is fine; however the more in-line with color theme for the other is better.
  9. Meeba Member

I have to agree that the dark paneling didn't look as good as I thought it might...perhaps a gold color to match up with the already existing Kelethin-themed furniture? Thanks for trying the idea out though! I really do like the green top! I can see that paired with some Acorn Scholar chairs. :)
  10. Afista Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I definately like the green paneling on the back better than the clouds. The entire hutch design is really nice, I love the scroll iron work connecting the two pieces. I'm a little unsure of the bottom doors though. I love the tree motif, it's really pretty! But neither background really does it for me. It seems more painted, but personally I prefer more carved in the overall effect.

This is a way out there desire, but since you're working on hutches :p I'd throw my money at carved wood furniture like these!
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  11. Estred Well-Known Member

Laying out textures for that in decent resolution for a 512x512 may be difficult, were I no so busy I too would attempt it. Sadly I have more on my plate than I can do reasonably fast, I still am looking at 4-7 weeks of work both Player Studio and Non-Player Studio ahead of me. I really do like those designs too... actually I may borrow one of those shots for reference for my Void Furniture set (also known as the "Dark Wizards" set that have 1 item in-game already.
  12. Karrane Well-Known Member

I agree with Misstake.. bottom left and top right ). I love the shape of the cabinet, the rounded top and the scroll work connecting it. I can't wait to see what the finished product will look like =)

I have really enjoyed following this thread. I personally know nothing about which you speak !! lol but its fun to read and I have actually learned a few things.
  13. Rawl Well-Known Member

Actually, I know the pictures I posted don't reveal it very well, but the clouds and doors with the tree are painted on canvas stretched across the wood surfaces.

Currently I don't have the ability to create an woodcut basrelief for inclusion on cabinet faces. The mesh limitations don't allow for that much detail to be sculpted into a model, so I'd have to use an image of some kind to fake it. There might be other people who could do that very well, but I'm still not skilled enough to make it look very good.

I know SoE wants Player Studio stuff to have a hand crafted look, and I'm sure they'd love it if I/we would submit items which looked like the prictures you provided.
  14. Estred Well-Known Member

If you want the well sculpted look you are best using a 700-1000K poly model and backing a cage-normal map. I do that for some of my work but I am not exceptionally good so I use images and some nifty editing to make my normals.
    Issue is I don't think Zbrush or Mudbox are really free and I do not know the Freeware version of them.
  15. Rawl Well-Known Member

I know he said something, was he speaking English? hehe ;)
  16. Estred Well-Known Member

I um, ok a 'cage-normal' is a map generated by a 3d program by surrounding a model with a wire frame to then grab the heightmap (detail) from a higher resolution model to a lower one.

Say I have a super detailed item (1,000,000 Triangles) but I want to make a version for Player Studio which has a 2,000 Triangle Limit. I can use a Cage-Normal to take the details of the model for the 1 Million model and put it on the 2,000 one without actually increasing the poly-count.

Still jargon or no?
  17. Rawl Well-Known Member

Okay, that sounds like a really good thing to use. I wonder if Blender has that capability and what it is called in Blender, and how it is used, etc. :) I know you don't use Blender, but maybe someone who does could chime in :)
  18. Rawl Well-Known Member

[IMG]

Okay, This is the one I submitted today. I replaced the carved wood texture on the outside and back and replaced the cloudy sky with the green wood. Thanks to all of you who expressed your preferences. I hope you will soon find this available in the Station Cash Store.

Best regards,
    Kisy and Karrane like this.
  19. Rawl Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    Every Norrathian home should have one, wouldn't you agree? ;)
  20. Kamoj Well-Known Member

Love this! I love the pot, makes it feel like something that actually would fit with the world. The wood grain texturing looks pretty good too!
    Rawl likes this.