Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Katz Well-Known Member

I want this set in real life. One of these, two of the smaller ones for side tables. A bed, bench, and small trunk to go with it all.
  2. Rawl Well-Known Member

I got a request to make a Dove Cove, so this is what I've made as it stands at this point of creation.

[IMG]
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Wonderful! We do have birds and whatnot, both in-game and from the Marketplace, so this will work well, I think! :)

But I think it's actually "dove cote," for some odd reason; must research...whoops, it's one word, dovecote, and they were really popular back in the old days for raising pigeons and doves for meat, eggs, and, ah, let's just say, fertilizer. ;-> Also, I'm guessing that's what they called where they kept any racing or messenger pigeons?

Apparently, with the popularity of them in the Old World going all the way back to ancient Egypt and Persia (and still to this day in Europe; Scotland still has them in the cities, for instance), it's where we get the word "pigeonhole," like to tuck something (or someone) into a little nook. :)

Uwk
    Moonpanther and Merriel like this.
  4. Rawl Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will be sure to name it properly. And thanks for the information. You are a fount of information. :)
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You're welcome! :D

Once upon a time in a former life, I was a scientist/copyeditor, so I know how to do research...that's about it. ;->

And, I blush to admit, a lot nowadays is off of Wikipedia... :oops:

Uwk
    Merriel and Rawl like this.
  6. Rawl Well-Known Member

Out on your finely taken care of lawn, out there between the forest and your beautiful home sits at least one of these Dovecotes for your bird life pleasures. (This is almost done. I have to grunge it up a bit.)

[IMG]
  7. Vasciagio Well-Known Member

Please, please, please ask for it to scale large lol. I could use it for little brownie houses or faes. It is adorable; a must have. Hmmm. Is it double sided? It looks like the inside is only half depth compared to the outside of the building.

Thanks,
    Vasciagio Bladesong
    Maj'dul
  8. Rawl Well-Known Member

I just submitted "The Master's Dovecote" to Player Studio. I hope you like it. (Vasciagio, this wouldn't be workable for using the interior if it was scaled up a lot. The texture would become pixelated, and as you mentioned, the inside walls don't go all the way to the back, and there is no ceiling for either floor.) In other words, it isn't made to be habitable by player characters.

[IMG]
  9. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Now if they would only add Fruity (the Lion's Inn in South Qeynos on stair railing) as a plushie/pet or the pink seagulls in Timorous deep as a plushie they would have a nice home.
  10. Merriel Well-Known Member

I actually thought about this too but realized it wouldn't work for player housing either. It is a really nice bird house though, and reminds me of my mom's parents when I was growing up. My grandfather made bird houses and hung them all around the front and back yard and encouraged the birds to build their nests there. Every tree, bush, plant, and ground cover was planned specifically for this purpose as both my grandparent's loved birds. They hated when people moved into the neighborhood with cats because sometimes they would find their precious birds to be a victim of those 'vicious felines'. They had a bird bath in the back yard and my grandfather had built a feeder that he would scatter seeds on in the winter months, then he would store it away during the spring and summer months.

I remember many a time them showing us baby birds in a nest by their front door, then very strictly telling us we are not to go anywhere near the nest and bother the babies, so their parents would not drive them out of the nest. We all knew the trouble we would be in if we went anywhere near those nests. :D
    Valzen, Rawl, Katz and 1 other person like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm, don't worry too much about birds "smelling you" on the babies if one falls out, though; except for vultures and snipes (the real birds, not the made-up small mammals), birds don't really have much of a sense of smell. Best thing is to put it back in the nest, of course, and if not, as close as you can get to it. Chances are unless the parent birds got killed by something, they'll swoop in and take care of the kid wherever it is. One reason for nest failure, though, could be from too much stress, of giant things (i.e., humans) poking in there every 5-10 minutes while the parents are trying to get something accomplished. :-/

And much as I love domestic cats, yeah, they are a major problem in some areas...Animal Planet did one of their "TOP 10 LISTS!!1! OMG!!" on "THE TOP 10 DEADLIEST CATS!!!" going by the number of different prey species they went after. Turned out, the bigger the cat, the less "adjustable" it seemed to be, and the biggest ones seemed to prefer a few large-sized species. The house cat was the #1 killer, since it went after something like 1100 different things: invertebrates of all sorts, fish, amphibians (not a lot; many are barf-inducing), reptiles, birds, mammals, you name it, nothing's really safe from them. Another reason to have one's cats indoors, or maybe get them an outdoor "porch" area, where they can hang out, but be safe (and other things can be safe from them). ;->

Just out of curiosity, how did your grandparents feel about falcons and other birds of prey? They're birds too, ya know, and can frequently help take care of any overcrowding or diseased individuals in a big feeder area. :)

Uwk
    Merriel likes this.
  12. Rawl Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your memories. Sounds beautiful :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  13. Rawl Well-Known Member

I just submitted the High Elf Coffee Table to Player Studio:

[IMG]
    Ocarinah, Katz, chattie and 2 others like this.
  14. Merriel Well-Known Member

The reason they didn't want us bothering the nest was so we wouldn't knock any babies out of it, not because they had been knocked out, and they told us if the birds smelled us on the babies, they would kick them out of the nest.

Their yard wasn't really large enough for birds of prey. They lived in a retirement community and their backyard and front yard were each only about the same size as their house. It was a single story three bedroom, two bath house, with a kitchen, living room, small dining area, and a lanais (sp? I think it's a French word). At least that is what they called the last room...it was a large family room off the living area with two sets of sliding glass doors that led to the backyard. Oh and it had a two car garage also, off the kitchen. They used the lanais as a multi-purpose room. It was used as a dining room for large family gatherings, a play room for the kids when it wasn't being used otherwise, and they had two hide-a-bed sofa's for guests when they had more than the two spare bedrooms could hold. Up until my grandmother moved out and sold the place (years after my grandfather passed away), it was where we held all our family reunions, so I have a lot of fond memories of that place.

Thank you, Jerry! I think it's wonderful when you artists create items that bring back nostalgic memories this way. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rawl like this.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My goodness! The way you describe it, it could be re-created here...is that what you did for one of the decorating contests or challenges? :)

A retirement community, as opposed to just a room in a rest home...sounds wonderful, actually. :)

Uwk
  16. Rawl Well-Known Member

I just submitted the High Elf Wall Mirror to Player Studio: (They will apply the mirror shader to the gray part.)
    [IMG]
  17. Merriel Well-Known Member

Wow that mirror is really pretty. That whole set is, actually.

Hmm seems my last post here vanished, lol. I didn't get any pm's from moderators saying it was moderated out though, so I guess the forum goblins just gobbled it right up. Oh well, I realized after posting it that we were kind of derailing your thread, Jerry, so I'll just let the conversation go by the wayside now. My apologies! :D
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  18. Rawl Well-Known Member

as far as I'm concerned, there is no need to apologize. :)
  19. Rawl Well-Known Member

Since I have had so much trouble getting my lighthouses approved, I thought I'd try a different approach. This could be animated to be tilted so the pole is horizontal to the ground so the light could be replaced. the pole is also telescoping type pole.
    [IMG]
  20. Merriel Well-Known Member

Ooh I like it! In fact, the telescoping pole would permit the operator to lower the pole, light the fire in the 'brazier', then raise it again to allow the signal fire to burn nice and high for passing ships at night. :D

I wonder if maybe they aren't approving the light houses, not for anything you've done wrong in texturing and such, but perhaps because of the tall thin structure, they can't get it to work well as a structure that can be entered? *Contemplates*
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.