[Planning] Cathedral Competition

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jazabelle, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

So Lennia of Splitpaw had the awesome idea of a competition for decorating for deities.

This led to me talking about a Cathedral Competition, and now I want to do it!

So. Ideas for a Cathedral Competition!
    1. When do we want to hold this?
    2. What should the name of the competition be? It should convey the fact that the competition is about creating a place of worship of any size, not just a cathedral as the current name implies. Yes, PLACE of worship (someone pointed out Tunare might have a grove rather than a building, etc).
    3. How long should people have to build?
    4. What should the prizes be? SC would be the easiest, since it means people can build on their home servers. However, it also means people will need to donate SC or the SC prizes, as I can't fund the entire contest myself. I only have so much SC!
    5. Antonia Bayle only, or all servers? (Kinda tied to the previous question)
    6. What items should the place of worship include? Personalized altars, of course. Seating/pews? Pulpit? Should we even care what they include, as long as it's recognizably a place of worship with an altar to the deity of their choice?
    7. Should we tie this specifically to EQ2's main deities? Or should we allow other entities? (For example, some people like to worship Ullkorruuk, the Lady of Insurrection. Others worship Lanys T'Vyl, Daughter of Hate and Goddess of Envy. There's the Maiden of the Mask, protector of young women and comfort to children who have lost a parent. The list of demigods and -goddesses is extensive. Let's not forget those who worship items rather than individuals...)
    8. Judging Criteria?
    You can post on http://bit.ly/EQ2-CCplanning(Homes and Tomes' personal events planning forum thread), if you'd prefer to post there rather than here.
    Ready? GO!
    suka and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Also, size? When folks think "cathedral," they probably usually come up with a mental image of something ginormous, often from Europe, frequently Gothic (like Notre Dame) or Baroque (later, fancier). "Temple" rightly or wrongly (the Judaic Temple in Jerusalem was pretty huge, the ancient temples likewise to various pantheons, and there are Buddhist temples that are nearly as ginormous as anything in Europe) usually denotes something smaller, building-wise. "House of worship" (though "Cathedral Competition" is catchier, I must admit ;->)?

Uwk
    who has everything from Personal Dojos to Isles of Refuge as far as "housing" goes ;->
  3. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Good point! I'd intended "Cathedral Competition" to be a placeholder name until we came up with something else catchy instead... and now I've remembered that I can ask the rest of YOU to help think of the name, too! I'm not concerned with size, and people building temples, chapels, cathedrals, or other houses of worship (no matter how small or large) are perfectly acceptable.

Editing the top post to add, "What should the name of the competition be? It should convey the fact that the competition is about building a house of worship of any size, not just a cathedral as the current name implies."

Also added a question about whether it should be tied directly to EQ2's main deities, or allow for places of worship for demigods and -goddesses, and items of power.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Is there a good Lore site still out there for all the various deities, etc.? :)

Uwk
    who's been in EQ2 since 2006 and still doesn't know it all... :-/
  5. suka Well-Known Member

when? if it is sometime after May i will be able to enter. May is an important month for me and i am already spread a bit too thin. Especially since people are offering me stuff to add to my current competitions. And the treasure hunt is getting so successful that i will probably be repeating that one sometime later in the year

also i do love supporting any competitions or anything that makes housing fun and draws more people to decorating
  6. suka Well-Known Member

7. Elaiya Member

I think it's going to be a competition that would need to allow a significant length of time to build the places of worship, but I definitely look forward to it!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.
  8. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

When in doubt, poke at lorelibrary.com for in-game books on a huge variety of subjects. It isn't completely up to date, but it's a good starting point.

There's the channel Guk.Lore for people in-game who are knowledgeable about lore, and can answer your questions.

And of course, EQ2Furniture.com has the contents of every book in game (though unlike lorelibrary.com, EQ2Furniture's books aren't sorted by subject). You'll have to figure out which books you want to read, since they're arranged alphabetically on the site, though.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

or go visit the new Norrathian Estate Library on Butcherblock- over 300 books and tomes. i am sure you would find something there to help
  10. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

The problem with examining books in-game is that you have to have done the quest for the book in order to read it. It's why I suggest visiting EQ2Furniture.com to read books.

The Norrathian Research Library on Antonia Bayle has almost all the books that exist in the game (Library's Vale of Halfpint Delight). But as I said... unless you've done the quests for the books, you can't read them. Most of them will just be blank pages, with some text here and there.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

do you? i didn't know that. i will have to send some of my toons who haven't done the quests to the library to check it out. and that is sad. i think that once a book is placed, everyone should be able to read them. there is so much lore there and new people are hungry for lore. hmm- maybe a good opportunity for player made synopsis of many books.
  12. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

I agree completely! It's one reason why I'm stockpiling player made notebooks--one day I want to go through and paste the contents of every book in the game into player made notebooks, so that anyone can read them. It's one reason I was so happy when Lera added the contents of each book to EQ2Furniture. It means that when the time comes, I can just copy the book contents over from there!
  13. suka Well-Known Member

i will mention it to Ceya, the designer of the library. Yeah i own the houses but when he decorates, to me they are simply his. he even moved all of his crafting to one of them. he is a dear friend but we are like day and night. good thing he lives across country from me.
  14. JesDyr Well-Known Member

It should be tied directly to ME and maybe cookies.... oh wait...
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen, O JesDyr, Lord of Decorating, He Who Guides Our Placements, He That Deviseth Fantastical Shape Procedures! :D

(did someone say cookies?)

Uwk
    the Notepad Method Minimalist in the Hermit Cave--ooh! "Beehive" Hermit Structures/Cloisters/Thingees! Ooh! How many rocks/boulders actually have bases and can be stacked--
  16. Niboota Well-Known Member

Here is another lore website I have found very useful... https://loreofnorrath.wordpress.com/
  17. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

We're looking at starting this contest sometime in early or mid June, and running for three weeks to a month, in order to give people time to build. Opinions?

Also, while you need to start from scratch on the build, nothing says you can't start compiling ideas and lore NOW!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Niboota like this.
  18. Ealdian Well-Known Member

but...but....I already HAVE a cathedral for Tunare! Do I get to enter that one?

Eli
  19. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

That's something we have to decide on. Should pre-built Places of Worship be allowed, since we're allowing a month? Opinions, people! I just assumed people would prefer to start from scratch.
  20. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Voice of the Gods
    Inspiration's Perspiration
    Your Decoration Calling
    Chill at the Church (summer contest)
    New Pews
    Altar Your Deity

I better shut up before I start getting horribly punny.