Closed / Unconfirmed Pets & Mercenaries : Sending them in cause/allows mobs to autoattack me at any distance

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Hateborne, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Hateborne Member

I have noticed that if I send my mercenary/pet into the fray (outside of combat), while being at least my maximum casting distance away, I am often auto attacked from every creature not directly the target of said mercenary/pet.

While I understand some NPCs have ranged attacks and all that, but having spiders bite me from 40+ meters away is a bit outrageous. The only counter I have found, which works most of the time, is sending mercenary/pet and immediately breaking line of sight via wall(s). Even then, I am still sometimes punched/bitten/struck through walls.
    Carynn and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Snakes and spiders jump. Snakes also kick. They may also spit poison for all I know. But definitely, the jump and kick are there and you just end up having to allow for it.

Look for ways to reduce your own hate gain, and to deaggro. Look at your AAs. YOou may want to invest in some adornments that reduce hate.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Hateborne Member

Again, appreciate the reply, but I'm not quite sure my original post was read fully. I am being hit outside my max casting distance by melee attacks by simply sending in pet or mercenary. If I take NO action, this happens. If I cast/fight alongside them, this happens. My actions are irrelevant of me being punched in the face from 40+ meters.
    Observing likes this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I noticed something last night with my Coercer, but I figured it was just a Coercer thing, since I don't play them that often. If I didn't take the precaution of casting a Root or two on my target, then sending in the Pet, no matter how ferocious my Pet was, the instant I'd send them in, the target would ignore my Pet completely and immediately attack me, ignoring however many hits the Pet might've been landing on them in order to do so. Even with NO other casting of anything else of mine other than, "Pet, go attack me that target yonder." You'd think said target would be more concerned with something right there up close and personal, and not know who it was that sent the Pet.

If I sent the Pet, then cast anything other than Roots that got the target's attention, then I'd expect to get attacked, especially if the Pet wasn't all that great at holding aggro.

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

Coercer pets can no longer hold aggro. They made that change several weeks ago now.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Hateborne Member

It may be Enraging Demeanor actually. Are you using this on your pet/merc?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Possibly; not sure what that is. At what level is it obtained? None of my Coercers (neither of them; don't much care for the class, but wanted to complete my collection) are over 50. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Hateborne Member

This is a great example of what happens. Notice the health bar on the epic creature. I've been casting from across the room and the mercenary has been taunting, but no attacks or distance closing.

[IMG]
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Was your merc making the "cowering" emote?
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Hateborne Member

Nope. I try to be overly vigilant about curing mercanaries as their out of combat regeneration is dismally low. She started the fight there and the epic mob stayed there. While it may be possible that the epic mob is perma-rooted, my mercenary is most certainly not.
  12. Carynn Well-Known Member

That mob is perma rooted. Still, the merc should have run over to it and started whaling.

I do find that certain mercs, like the one you're using, aggro everything around them, which in turn attacks you. They seem to have several AOE abilities that cause it. That, and I've noticed more recently that mercs and pets will cause train aggro as if they are another player, when they go a different route than you, even if you have them on passive.
  13. Hateborne Member

Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.