People do make mistakes, why can they not be rectified?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-ashen1973, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-scruffylookin Guest

I'm really torn on this topic. On the one hand, I can certainly appreciate the frustration of knowing a couple thoughtless clicks could cost a shard. I also think several folks have made good points with the comparisons to other mistakes that are regularly rectified.
    But on the other hand...
    Mistakes are really a fundamental part of every game.
    My friend is a ranger. Once, he was in a group that was deep within Permafrost. They were doing well. They started a particularly good battle with a named. The group won the fight, and--sure enough--a master chest dropped. As soon as the giant died, my friend went to go into stealth (as he always does). Except this time, he accidentally hit his evac instead. Before the group was able to open the master chest, they were all looking at a loading screen, then were standing on the ice at the beginning of everfrost.
    This was before the EF revamp and getting to Permafrost was time consuming. Fighting through PF to get to that chest would be even more time consuming. Needless to say, his group was very unhappy.
    My friend didn't get a do-over on that run. It was an honest mistake. I don't remember if they got the chest or not, but I do know one thing... after that mistake, my friend moved his evac to a different place, and he has never made that mistake again.
    Mistakes are a fundamental part of every game, and I'm not sure that mistakes should be wiped clean every time their made. Saying, "It's just a game" isn't really the point for me. If every mistake was given a do-over, then the game really wouldn't be much of a game.
    Again, I'm not saying your point isn't valid. It is. But at the same time, where do you draw the line? My wife and I have had to repeat entire dungeons (losing hours; duoing dungeons can take some time)... just because I made the mistake of pulling a mob without first checking to see if he had a group of adds with him. 99 times out of 100, I'm very careful about that. But I'm only human. I make mistakes. I really don't think that we should've have been given a free port back to the point where I made that mistake.
  2. ARCHIVED-Bratface Guest

scruffylookin wrote:
    Your point is irrelevant.
    You are talking about mistakes made that have nothing to do with a poorly functioning UI that you cannot cancel a combine with, not hitting evac in a zone....
    Your "friends" evac worked just fine, it didn't go off on it's own, he clicked it and it worked, period.
    The UI not allowing a cancellation is a game mechanic problem and not the fault of the player, if your "friend" had cancelled his evac then everything would have been fine, but if he was unable to cancel and he SHOULD'VE been able to, then that is a mechanic problem that should be fixed, just like this mechanic problem of not being able to cancel the commision needs to be fixed so people can cancel before it is too late if they make a mistake or something goes awry.
    Human error happens, the problem is that the mechanics don't allow you to rectify that mistake, you are LOCKED into the combine no matter what, making a bad pull isn't a problem with mechanics, it just means your technique sucks.
  3. ARCHIVED-scruffylookin Guest

Bratface wrote:
    First, I'm not why you're putting "friend" in quotes every time. It really was a friend that did this. I don't play a ranger. The person that did it (as a matter of fact) was the best man at my wedding. Not sure why the quotes are used. Are you suggesting that I made that up?
    Secondly, I said I'm torn on this.
    Thirdly, my reply is to the OP which says:
    "It is possible to create the wrong item, either for yourself or for another using consignment. ( I know a lot of people would jump up here and say 'you made the error,its your own fault for being stupid' etc.. etc.. but, as the title says, we are all human, we all make mistakes from time to time, and if you dont, then congratulations on being the worlds only perfect person )".
    That comment's not about the problem with a mechanic. It's saying that SOE should let people rectify a human error because the cost of the human error is very disappointing.
    Fourth, once you hit evac, there's no cancelling it (unless there's a way I don't know of). Once you have a bad pull, there's on un-pulling it. In regards to the OPs comment above, I honestly don't see the difference. It's a human error that results in hours of backtracking, whether it's doing another shard run or restarting another dungeon because of a bad pull. It's all do-overs for human errors.
    I agree, human error happens, and the mechanics don't allow you the opportunity to rectify that error. Human error also happens in every other aspect of the game, and in most of those cases, you're not given the opportunity to rectify them.
    As for the bug you're referring to, I have no comment on that. It's never happened to me, but I don't doubt it happens. That's not what the OP's referring to, though. I don't think a person in this game would argue that bugs shouldn't be fixed.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Bratface wrote:
    Your post is irrelevant. It is completly contradictiing of itself. Making a mistake by crafting the wrong item "isn't a problem with mechanics, it just means your" ability to pay attention sucks.

scruffylookin wrote:
    They're just being a bratface as usual.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tsunai Guest

Focus on the topic and not the people/posters please guys. Providing constructive feedback and a healthy debate of the topic at hand is key to a good discussion. Detracting from that diminishes it.
  6. ARCHIVED-zaneluke Guest

Bratface wrote:
    Never had that happen to me. Interesting.
  7. ARCHIVED-todamgoood4U Guest

Kirstie wrote:
    Now this is interesting.
    You are saying that if I tried to cancel the armor as I did try and do, CS will return my shards? Now, you are stating this as if the "CANCEL" button actually works while crafting shard armor. It doesn't...or atleast hasn't. If I'm reading this correctly, the recent patch now makes it possible to cancel, preventing incorrect pieces from being made. Obviously I am not about to try this, but this is how I'm reading it. So if in the past, such as in my case where the cancel button didn't work, I will now be reimbused the 11 shards that I should have been reimbused if the cancel button had worked?? Chat logs will show me spamming the cancel button getting the "you cannot cancel consigned items", so based on your statement, I am owed 11 shards and should resend in my petition.
    Please confirm so that I can get this over with.
    And to those "live and learn" people...yes, lesson learned. Risk vs Reward - not worth it...at least until the cancel button is proven to work.
  8. ARCHIVED-Pouts Guest

This is a very interesting debate.
    My apologies if this seems mean to anyone.
    I agree that if you crash or something of the like you schould be reinbursed (If it can be verified). I don't, however, agree that if you make the wrong armour you should be reimbursed. EQ2 is not rated 'K', that means this is not a kiddie game (Sure, kids play, but if they're allowed to play they should understand the risks too). This means you should not need you hand held and all your boo-boos kissed. It also means you understand this is a game and you shouldn't really get upset over 'digital' creations and/or items. Yes it can be annoying, but for me at least it's one of those, "Oh, I'm so stupid! Time to start over," type things. And I screw up a LOT (about every two seconds).

Having shards reimbursed after making the wrong item is one of those hand holding things I think. If you're ever making anything that requires more than just commons (adept III, rare furniture, armour, etc.) you should always double, and even triple check what you're making, and that it is what the customer wants.
    It's a bit like fighting, no ones there to take your debt away when you accidently pull the wrong mob, or a que'd spells goes off. Even if you try and run (cancel) from the fight. Or when you lag and run off a cliff or into mobs.
    Besides, reimbursing shards for created armour has far too many loop holes in it. Anyone can say, this person, X, made the wrong piece of armour that I, Y, wanted! Fix it!
    Person Y could just get all his armour pieces made and test them out and then decide the 2/3/5 pieces he wants and then petition and complain a mistake was made.
    What I think would be better would be if they would switch the item if the wrong armour was made. For example, if the zerker/guard shoulders were made for a pally instead of the pally/shd. They wouldn't take the item and give you back the shards, instead they'd simply switch the item to the pally/shd version.
    This may not help if you just make the wrong piece, but considering there is not only the name of the item but also a picture, it would be a very silly mistake to make.
    Honestly, for me it just comes down to a couple facts:
    1. Yes, it is a game. As such it doesn't really matter if I screw up. This is not real life and should not be treated as such nor should it be likened to it. Just because it's something you can do/get in real life does not mean you should get it here (Although I'd love a lay-a-plan for some of those masters!).
    2. Sony has a lot of things to do, things I feel are far more important than reimbursing every little mistake (something like the wrong piece made should not break the game for anyone). I once lost one of my characters (First week of RoK) due to no fault of my own (somehow she'd been taken off my account despite not being deleted and actually existing in the game world still) and it took over a week for it to get sorted out. I don't want to image how long it would have taken had the CSR had to deal with carebearing to tiny mistakes. I'm sure if you have ever worked in customer service you would know exactly how many people whine and petition about the smallest things.
    3. Lifes not fair.
    -
    Once again, not ment to offend anyone, just my personal veiws on the subject.
    (If it's that big of a deal find one of those people who say "there's too many shards, they're too easy, I have XXXXXXXXXX shards and nothing to get," and buy their shards from them if they're crafters. It'll happen eventually. Everyone wins then!)
    *Edited because I had to type this in more than two seconds!*