Pay it Forward! Back for a summer event!

Discussion in 'Player Events' started by ARCHIVED-Tayne, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Greetings folks.
    I'm the organizer of the Pay it Forward event on the Freeport server.
    What is Pay it Forward, you ask? Well it's a day when adventurers and crafters come together to donate crafted goods, items rotting away in your bank, plat, rares, masters ... you name it ... to young adventurers, asking only that they perform some random good deed for a complete stranger in return.
    This event creates an incredible surge of goodwill on our server (which is already awesome as is!) and I thought I'd announce the next event for our server here (last time folks said they wanted more advanced notice). Word of the event spread to other servers and by the time it launched we had 90% of all servers game-wide participating in the event. It was unbelievably awesome, the generosity and kindness and the wonderful feedback from those who enjoyed the day.
    On Freeport in February we had more than 60 people come out to donate items in the 3-hour event, held on the Isle of Mara. Everyone had a blast and walked away feeling like a million bucks -- both the givers and the receivers. The general comments were "Oh I wish I'd made more stuff" and "This was so much fun!"
    People gave away adornments, rares from all tiers 10-90, fabled items, incredibly wonderful crafted items from levels 10 to 90, furniture, master spells, armour, poisons, weapons, 40-slot bags, and some even went with players who arrived on Mara and bought them housing in the city. Others even offered to craft thurga gear and AA mirrors, free of charge. No item was considered "too small" .. anything anyone did was absolutely wonderful because it's the message behind the giving -- to pay it forward and make the server a better place.
    The only condition was that the person who received something had to do some good turn in kind. It was a very uplifting and fun couple of hours on Mara this past October (our second event). And it was remarkable to watch the goodwill spread as many who received items went out and ran dungeons for lower levels, or bailed someone out on a quest.
    You can give away anything you like -- from crafted goods to plat, masters, expert spells or even high-level gear rotting in your bank. 40-slot bags, totems: jaguar, escape, wolf, sabertooth, etc, along with non-rare crafted goods like armour, bows and weapons are all happily gobbled up by young adventurers. Tinkered fireworks were also a big hit last time
    Let's plan to meet in Mara again in crafting/house area on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4 p.m. EST (this gives folks living in Oz a chance to participate, not too late for Euro types, and middle-of-the-road time for Left and Right coasters).
    So here's the breakdown:
    WHAT: Pay it Forward 4
    WHO: Anyone who cares to help make the server a better place and has items they're willing to give away, crafted or not, with no strings attached (well except for maybe a good deed or two).
    WHEN: Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012 at 4 p.m. (EST)
    WHERE: Isle of Mara, next to the crafting houses just off the docks
    I'll make a few announcements in game too, but for those of your friends and guildies who don't use the forums, please feel free to pass this along. I'll also likely be dropping by your server in various incarnations of Fille and Fillle and Filllle to harass you all with news of the event!
    It might also be a nice time to recruit for your guild, too, by giving you a chance to talk to the folks who show up.
    For those of you interested in setting up a Pay it Forward event on another server that's not Freeport, please feel free to drop me a private message and I'll fill you in on more details. Or post in this thread about your server and location and time on Aug. 25.
    Thank you in advance for all your kindness.
    Fille (Jayne)
    PLEASE NOTE:
    *Unrest's event starts at 1pm (EST) and will run throughout the day.
    *Butcherblock server will host its event at 8pm (CST) on Mara
    *Nagafen folks will meet up on the Moors because it allows for immunity and lets players enjoy the event.
    *Splitpaw server will host its event at 4pm GMT on Mara
  2. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

For Nagafen server only:
    Please note that on Aug. 25 at 4pm EST naggy folks can meet up on Moors (immunity there so players can enjoy the event).
    Send a tell to Jarack if you need any questions answered as he's graciously stepped up and volunteered to host.
    Cheer!

Also note, on Guk server Kattapault is hosting -- please direct any questions her way! :)
  3. ARCHIVED-Morgania434 Guest

I love your Pay it Forward events Jayne!! But this happens to be the opening Headstart day of THAT OTHER GAME!!! So Morgie won't be there

Good luck and have a blast !!! I know this really helps out the people still playing with good will!
  4. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Morgania434 wrote:
    Doors open on that, cough, other game at 3am EST (if not earlier), gives you time to register your toon names, come back for an hour for PIF and then head into blissful sunset ... At least that's my plan
  5. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Gems has graciously agreed to host it on Everfrost, any questions, please contact her in game.
  6. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Taysa and her guild Knights of Freeport have also stepped up and volunteered to host it on AB! YAY! :) Send her an in game email or tell if you have questions. :)
  7. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Butcherblock will also host, by Hykata at 8pm (CST) .. just show up and enjoy the fun. YAY!
  8. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Great news! Unrest is participating in a daylong Pay it Forward event starting at 1pm EST (that's 10 am PDT) to about 6pm EST (that's 3pm PDT).
    Please send questions to either Lynarra or Darkpit for details on Unrest.
    YAY!
  9. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

More great news! Arkix from Permafrost is stepping up to host for his server!
    Any questions direct his way!
    This is awesome guys!
  10. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

WHO TO TALK TO ON YOUR SERVER IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS:
    FREEPORT: Fille
    NAGAFEN: Jarack -- Meet on Moors (immunity)
    GUK: Kattapault
    EVERFROST: Gems
    AB: Taysa
    UNREST: Lynarra or Darkpit
    PERMAFROST: Arkix
    BUTCHERBLOCK: Hykata -- running at 8pm CST on Mara.
    OASIS: need a volunteer
    CRUSHBONE: need a volunteer
    SPLITPAW: Giavania -- Splitpaw running event at 4pm GMT.
  11. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Organizers, here are a few tips and tricks to running the event that we on Freeport have learned from past events:
    1. Advertise early and often at different times of the day. Let 1-9 and crafting channel know. Ask folks to dig into their bank vaults and dust off items that are just sitting there rotting away that some other player could possibly use. Ask crafters to whip up a few items of their specialities, from 44 slot bags to boxes, to poisons and health/mana regeneration, to non-rare weapons and armour, to food and even furniture (even a level 92 likes some nice swag for their home). We've usually had at least three people who have offered to craft Thurga gear on demand, and with the prices of reactants dropping at lower levels, you can often craft a few rare goodies to really make someone's day. Some even just come out and donate plat -- I know one guy on our server has plans to donate at least 1K worth. You can use the tinyurl I've created to direct folks here if they have any questions: tinyurl.com/EQ2payitforward .. if that helps any.
    2. Remember to remind folks that if they receive something they have to then go out and bail out some stranger with a good deed. And it has to be a stranger .. doing something nice for a fellow guildie is an everyday thing. What's special about this event is the goodwill it breeds when some random stranger helps out another. What's a good deed? Rescuing someone from getting eaten by a mob when you're out and about. Bailing out some younger player who's stuck in a dungeon or offering to run a dungeon group for folks in 1-9. Helping another player finish off a part of a questline that they're struggling with. Showing a lost player how to get somewhere. Explaining how to pick AA points for a certain class for another new player .. the possibilities are endless
    3. On the day of the event, add those coming to donate into a raid group with you. This helps tremendously with communication so that one guy doesn't receive 100 goodies and is overwhelmed, and another is standing there with nothing. While in raid you all can communicate with each other about who's giving what to whom. It's a bit chaotic on the day of the event, but it's a good chaos and a lot of fun.
    4. Have a few players use the portable gazebo by the docks so folks arriving can see where you are.
    5. Make tinkered fireworks! Everyone likes to celebrate and these are relatively inexpensive to make and players seem to really enjoy them.
    Other than that, however you approach the event is completely up to you. The point is that it's open to everyone and is inclusive .. which often doesn't happen in an MMO. We want to show new and old players alike that our community is vibrant and wonderful and most of all -- helpful.
    Best of luck to you all, and thank you so very much for stepping up and volunteering! Hope you have a blast.
  12. ARCHIVED-Squeecha Guest

I guesses the Freeport Guides will has to start stocking up on shinies again......
  13. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Squeecha wrote:
    +1,000 thumbs up! I'm so glad you will be there !:)
  14. ARCHIVED-arsonance Guest

Time to get craftin isnt it? better send my pack pony out for a lot of trips.
  15. ARCHIVED-rowanleigh Guest

Hi~
    I am busy coordinating the Butcherblock Decorating Challenge and this, and I have run into a snag here on this event. I work until 8:00 pm CSt, and am desperately looking for someone to be the Day of Coordinator. I could do the event but it wouldn't get started until almost 9:30 pm. Anyone on Butcherblock interested in being the Day of coordinator? I will make this as easy as possible by making a schedule. I did plan on raffling items at certain times for everyone in raid chat, (adorns, high level tradeskill raid items, shineys) and I do have food ready to be passed out(the SS high level ones) . I just need a day of coordinator so it doesn't happen late in the day.

Let me know if anyone on Butcherblock can help out.
  16. ARCHIVED-funnyg480 Guest

I would love Crushbone to do this but, I dont even know where to start never did anything like this. Would someone be willing to help on Crushbone so next one I could do . I would love that. Backstabbber Dirge
  17. ARCHIVED-rowanleigh Guest

Note time change:
    Due to the fact that I can't be at Butcherblock's event at the official time, we will be moving Butcherblock's time to 9:30 pm-10:30 pm CST on Isle of Mara.

Please come by for the festivies, I plan on all particpants recieving goodie bags and their will be raffle drawings at 9:45 pm, 10:00 pm and 10:15 pm.As well as a special event at the close, involving pigs and races. Come see on by!
  18. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

funnyg480 wrote:
    Hon, you can. It's not overwhelming. You only have to advertise in 1-9 and then crafting channel for the next week at different times. Point folks to this forum for more info and then on the day of, organize those coming in .. put them in a raid group with you and chat as you give items away. :) It's much MUCH easier than you think. Let me know if you can pick it up for Crushbone. :)
  19. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Less than a day or so until the event! Just wanted to drop a short note to say thank you so much to the server volunteers, you guys are awesome! I hope your event goes incredibly well and that you enjoy yourselves!
    Shame we never got Oasis and Crushbone, but there's always next time :)
  20. ARCHIVED-foodcity Guest

i almost forgot about this life has been busy, hehe..... i need to get to crafting all the repair kits for the players on unrest