Paladins really do suck.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ARCHIVED-Geekyone, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Geekyone Guest

I love playing my Paladin. Not so much for the fact that he is any good, or fun to play, but because of what a Paladin is. He represents what is good and just. The pinnacle of a virtuous warrior. I like being the good guy.

Paladin has always been the first character I roll in MMO's and this is true with EQ2. My Pally is level 53, and during that time, I have played every other class in the game, albeit a few of the mages classes, they are fun, but I like being in the middle of stuff.

Let me tell you...Paladins are BORING! I mean in a mean sort of "I'm never going to accomplish much" type of boring. No special moves, no attacks that require me to stun, move around back, stealth then stabbity. No fun abilities to use at just the right time. No flurry of attacks that are awe inspiring to watch. The worlds worst ever Heroic Opp. (Taunting while solo?! Whoever thought of that is dumber than a rock.) No big hits, no great hit points, no great abilities to speak of. (Please do not mention LoH it is a joke, it has been severely overnerfed.) This is all in a group too, outside of a group Paladins are almost as bad as a Templar solo. At least a Templar in a group is actively paying attention. I in a group or out of one, I do the same repetitive attack combos. Then four levels later I wake up to choose a special ability.

Any of you that have played a pally and love them for what they are, you know my pain. Maybe things change drastically at levels 54 and up, but I'm doubting it. All I ask is, please please give my paladin something...anything which might make my pally fun/entertaining.
    Message Edited by Geekyone on 03-27-200612:07 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

You need a flying mount that farts fire! (reposted this from the Paladin Forum -- it's from The Noob comic)

[IMG]
  3. ARCHIVED-Dasein Guest

First, you do not have to taunt to pull off the HO, the encounter-level AOE spell will advance it. HOweer, as one of our taunts is tied to a debuff, it can be useful to taunt, even while soloing. Of course, fighter HOs are pretty useless at a solo level anyway.

Second, LoH hasn't been nerfed. The only change I amaware of was lowering the reuse timer from 30 minutes to 15, which is the opposite of a nerf.

Third, I find playing a paladin to be great fun. It takes some skill to play a paladin well, and like any class, it's not for everyone.
  4. ARCHIVED-Jagged Halo Guest

5. ARCHIVED-Xrazor Guest

You are correct, even I just made that mistake...it is pertinant essense, I use to be able to fight ^^ stuff and give a good show with it but now it has a 5 minute recast time....used to be seconds and now I dont even use it anymore...oh well, the only good spell gone.
  6. ARCHIVED-Geekyone Guest

I meant a nerf from what LoH was in EQ1. I might be mistaken, but my LoH in EQ1 was a complete heal. (No one mention it was a once a day reuse timer, don't wanna give SoE any good ideas)
  7. ARCHIVED-YeldarbSpiritblade Guest

Number 1: This is the wrong forum. Try Paladin forum if you have problems with your class or need suggestions. In this case, it's definitely the player, not the toon.

Number 2: I have several toons, and the Paladin is definitely the strongest out of Swashbuckler, Fury, Conjuror (stronger soloer), and Monk. Don't get me wrong, they are all great classes and lots of fun, but the Paladin could get out of some stickier situations, and even take down stronger enemies than any of them. (Except Conjuror, who is definitely better at soloing, but not as useful to a group)

At 54, my Paladin could solo stuff my other toons at higher levels couldn't do.

LOH is BETTER than before. The ward is MUCH BETTER than before. The essence used to be useful, but after LU13, it's a waste of space. As far as healing, he has gotten better. As far as fighting, he's about the same. Against multiple enemies my Paladin EXPLODES with usefulness. Sorry you're having so much trouble.
  8. ARCHIVED-Xrazor Guest

I hear ya brother...we got nothing....I mean I just started a mage and he's got more pazzaaazzz at level 7 then my 41 pally.
    And yes LOH and pertinant essence is now in nerf heaven...I mean I got nothing....the only thing that could have made the pally worth playing and have a chance is the squire....but he or she does nothing...lol.
    I was level 40 and took on a level 32 ^^^ heroic and I died in seconds, even after using LoH...so I thought oh well it was heroic, only to see a spell caster with a pet 5 minutes later and onlu level 38 take it on and win....lol what?
    and don't give me gear talk, I got great stuff....we just have no big thing to cast. I play other characters and they all got bang...some can take on groups, some heroics, some dominate groups, everone has something, can't find it with pally though.
  9. ARCHIVED-WulfricGreyBeard Guest

"I hear ya brother...we got nothing....I mean I just started a mage and he's got more pazzaaazzz at level 7 then my 41 pally."

So you like an easy playstyle. You prefer to push the same 2 or 3 buttons and drop somehting while it is bound or get killed quickly. Fine but it is playstyle. Pally's take complex strategy and skill. Mages need simple strategy. I know I have a warlock. It is freeze and hope you kill with DOT and nukes before it can hit you because if it does your little cloth wearing butt is the MOB's lunch.

I prefer to be able to have time to run if it is apparent I can't kill something. I like having to make spilt second decisions as to ward, heal, or attack. My warlock only has part of the pally's strategy that is to use DOT's then nukes. Pally's only start with throwing the DOT then the damage spells. They have to heal, ward, and attack when soloing. In a group you sometimes have to ward others and back up heal while you tank. You have to make the decision do I tank or do I buff the tank. A mage will also be in the back casting the same old spells over and over. For a pally no two encounters will ever be identical.

I am not downing you. Some people like to sit back and nuke and push the same 3 or 4 buttons over and over. I do not.
  10. ARCHIVED-SirSurpent Guest

You couldn't have disliked your Pally THAT much...heck, you played him to 53! You telling us it took you that long to find out you weren't having fun?? **boggle**
  11. ARCHIVED-Cuz Guest

I think this is just tanks in general; they are rather boring to play. I know with most of my non-tank characters, if I die, I feel like I can try again with a different strategy. This isn't the case most of the time with my tanks. If a mob can kill me handly, it'll always get the best of me no matter how diligent I seem to be with my stuns / stiffle / interupts.
  12. ARCHIVED-Xrazor Guest

To me I think it just should be possible with all characters to at least be able to solo ^^^ single green heroic...just for the 1/1000 chance to get something good....that is all I am asking for...I like grouping but don't always have the time....just would like to be able to do something, other than kill things that can't drop anything.
  13. ARCHIVED-Lord_Quaymar Guest

I solo green Heroic ^^^'s all the time. Currently, I fight the Sirens in Sinking Sands...have been since 51...they are 44 - 46 heroic ^^^'s.
  14. ARCHIVED-Dasein Guest

You are correct, even I just made that mistake...it is pertinant essense, I use to be able to fight ^^ stuff and give a good show with it but now it has a 5 minute recast time....used to be seconds and now I dont even use it anymore...oh well, the only good spell gone.The Penitent Sacriment line has always had a 5 minute recast timer. Paladin healing has not been nerfed at all - in fact, we've gotten a group heal and the reduced timer on LoH, so our healing capacity has only gotten better over time.
    However, wards are very useful for soloers, and it took me a bit to figure out how best to use wards, but now I can focus on offense and keep myself warded almost the entire fight and thus take virtually no damage. The trick is to utilize stuns to give yourself a few second window to cast your ward, and make sure you keep at least one stun ablity available at all times so you're not stuck waiting for an ability to refresh.
    Switching stances is also important - while waiting for your big attacks to refresh, switch to a defensive stance, then when you're ready for a burst of damage, switch to offensive stance, hit with a stun -> nuke -> stun -> nuke combo.
    AAs add another bit of complexity to the equation, but I've found that the Stamina line (which requires a mace/hammer weapon) offers the best all around benefits, but you should also dump some points into the Intelligence line just for the Int boost, since at 8 points of Int for 1 AA, it's the best overall value and helps keep your spell DPS up even when in defensive stance. The stamina line is particularly good since both the Screamin mace and Scepter of Rahotep are good solo pally weapons, and will work with this line. The bonus to melee crits also helps boost DPS, especially when fighting against low-green heroics, since you'll crit a lot more against lower con mobs.
  15. ARCHIVED-Xrazor Guest

WOW, I must of done something wrong with my pally....if I cast half the stuff you are talking about I am out of power...lol
  16. ARCHIVED-PurpleLlama Guest

Let me guess, your gear totally focuses on DPS augmenting stuff to the neglect of all else?
  17. ARCHIVED-Cozumel Guest

Wow...when I group..there's 2 classes I prefer to tank for me... Guardians and Pallys... The rest are sub-par.

Go figure..

-Cozwiz, 70 Warlock
  18. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Wow...when I group..there's 2 classes I prefer to tank for me... Guardians and Pallys... The rest are sub-par.

Go figure..

-Cozwiz, 70 Warlock
    Spoken like the True master of AoEs that Warlocks are. Next to Guardians, Pallys are just about the best class there is at holding agro from Multiple MoBs(even out of encounter ones as heals generate hate from everyone(ask a Templar)). While as a Monk I can Tank single Target encounters until the cows come home with out much diffculty, I find that we can't hold a candle to what a Pally or Guardian can do on Multi-MoB fights.

BTW, though Amends on your Monk and have the Monk Turn on thier hate Proc and you will almost never loose agro again.
  19. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

Hex dolls are your friend.
  20. ARCHIVED-Xrazor Guest

Now that I have gotten rid of my non imbued fabled stuff and went to imbues, I can now kill ^^^ heroics but the pally still is lacking compared to other characters I have....there is just something exciting missing and I think it is there really is only one fighting style, same swings over and over.