Opening the Marketplace UI is causing the game to crash

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Hartsmith, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Noctifer New Member

Using Vista 64 with latest updates and optimized services. Crash is occuring since the last patch, before there was no problem at all. I use darkUI unified, with latest patches but I also crash with EQ2 UI default version. Hardware is OK with 8 gig ram and a SSD HD dedicated to the game. it is not an antivirus (using nod32) or firewall problem.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Maevianiu Well-Known Member

Excellent thank you! I see the crash and why it is happening now. It is crashing due to Vista. Vista is no longer supported, but I am working on a fix. Our next scheduled update is Thursday of next week so it should be out with that. In the meantime Vista and XP users will not be able to use the marketplace. Additionally, Vista and XP users will have limitations on what they can do in the marketplace due to security issues with those operating systems once the fix goes live.
    Kittybock, Hartsmith and LordTiras like this.
  3. Snivel Member

I am also having the same issue running Vista.
    I do have a couple of questions , however:

I'm all access. How will I be able to claim my 500 monthly reward?
    Even if I can collect the reward in another manner, will the "fix" allow me to spend it?
    What "limitations" will the fix generate?
    Is there somewhere in the T & C that states that previous operating systems are no longer supported?
    Have all access members been previously advised of this lack of support and the "limitations" that may apply? I haven't.
    Have users been advised that when buying Daybreak Cash they may either not be able to spend it nor that spending it may have "limitations" imposed dependant upon their Operating System? I can't immediately see anything on the Daybreak Cash web page.
    I understand that it is Thanksgiving, but is there any way that a "fix" could be in place so that all members can take advantage of the current Offers?

I've just received my 12 year vet reward and am feeling a little alienated by Maevianiu's response. Sorry if my post seems a little terse.

Happy Holidays
  4. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I've had this problem affect both my paid/subscribed accounts so not isolated to f2p, and full complete reinstall did not prevent game crashing on me when retrying to open Marketplace.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Next Thursday (what happened to Tuesday updates?)...which means any Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals will be useless for those folks and unavailable for them to spend their hard-earned cash on. X-P

I know Microsoft no longer supports Vista (which they shouldn't ever have had in the first place, imho, but that's neither here nor there ;->) and XP (I guess I should be lucky they still deign to acknowledge Win7...), but yeah, when did DBG stop doing so? Or is the Microsoft abandonment what Maevianiu is referring to (good lad, in that case ;->)?

EDIT: okay, my bad; given that folks have been able to get the latest/greatest updates from Microsoft still, it's not MS that's having the issue?? Why have we stopped? :(

My two coppers? DBG should have another set of sales later on in the holiday season if they weren't intending to, to make up for this lapse. Not every one of their customer base has the Latest and Greatest (/raising_paw). :-/

And if ANYTHING should break on a product that has an option to make the producing company make money (the Marketplace), it shouldn't be that option (nor should folks that have been loyal customers for years get kicked to the curb, "restrictions"-wise, for being loyal to a still-working OS?)! :eek:

Uwk
    who's heard awful things about the default, easy-peasy Win10 upgrade, and how folks should really install it only using the Custom path... :-/
    Hartsmith likes this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, several. But I'm an old, suspicious kitty, and have only ever gone with the "change the awful off-blood-red 'new' background back to the soothing, original, dark blue background for the default UI." ;->

Uwk
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

See my above for leeriness about Win10; apparently, you have to be very precise in how you upgrade to it for satisfaction's sake (and the sake of not having every key stroke and mouse click recorded and loomed over by Microsoft, among other things). :-/

Uwk
  8. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I hadn't even thought about possibly missing out on special deals :(

It really would suck to have to cancel both my PAID accounts and quit playing this game simply because I cannot afford a better computer.
    Eradani and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Spindle Well-Known Member

I would read the post from the developer again. It would make more sense to ask questions on the developer post rather than Chicken Little-ing speculation posts.

It would really suck to have you leave the game simply because you did not ask for clarification.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The developer said the [partial, if we're still going to have unnamed restrictions--sorry, limitations--afterwards] fix won't be in until next Thursday (and there will probably be no way to get any further official responses until Monday). Hopefully, they will have further deals in the future this season, because this will make all the folks affected by this miss out on Black Friday (and anything that might be happening on Cyber Monday):
    This is from the News and Announcements forum on the deals tomorrow.

Maevianiu said:
    Emphases mine.

Uwk
  11. Kamikage New Member

Well I'm having the same issue and I am running vista home premium 64. Computerwise I could get the latest windows but neither of the newer versions of the thing seem appealing to me. Like someone said here, I don't want any company and especially not microsoft to bigbrother me. Not like I'm doing anything worth noticing, but it's the principle of it.

So yeah, a fix would be really lovely. The only thing that I'm doing on the marketplace is buy new character slots whenever I gather the station cash from the paid account. Waiting for the fix is no big deal for me, happy that I can pay the game, but I can understand the frustration of those who are actively using the marketplace.

And please don't stop supporting vista, I know it's a pain to make a fix for just handful of people but if given the choice between using vista and playing the game, I'm not going to choose the game and I'm not going to start using a VM just to be able to play EQ2.

Thank you for helping us.
    Sambril and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. LordTiras Well-Known Member

The problem with continuing to support Vista is that it's an outdated OS that is only getting minimal support from MS, and things that the game may depend on are slowly dropping support for it (even browsers like Chrome are dropping support for it). There are just flaws in the OS that can't be worked around. In many ways it's like saying that you want Windows 2000 support to continue. It's outdated, has flaws that will never be corrected, and trying to work within the limitation will slowly cripple the game's software.
    Windows 7 also a much better version of Vista. It's better with memory handling and still has huge support (and I suspect a much larger fight when Win7 goes away in 2020 than Vista will see in 2017 when it goes away). Honestly upgrading to 7 should improve your computer. I skipped Vista on all of my computers, going straight from either Win2K or XP to 7. 8 is pure garbage, and I'm not liking what I see of 10 (but I admit I haven't used it that much). I really do think that you'll be perfectly happy with 7, and it'll help you in the long run as support for Vista disappears from a lot more places than just EQ2.

And as for VMs, they are expressly forbidden and the ban stick will find you pretty quickly, so you want to avoid trying that path.
    Shmogre and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Plus, Win7 will probably be a cheaper upgrade these days than 8 or 8.1, though I can't say for sure. I HAD to upgrade my OS and much of my hardware when my power supply fried my motherboard, and at the time, Win7 was still all the rage (and for good reason!), so while I was getting new stuff anyway at our local "We Build You a System from Scratch" place (a lovely little hole-in-the-wall place! Been going there for years), I went ahead and got Win7.

I should've gotten the Pro edition for a Few Dollars More, as they say, since the mere Win7 Home isn't compatible with just about anything before then (i.e., 64 vs. 32; neither is Pro, really, but there are a lot more workarounds available for that, and either play this game well), but that's literally my only gripe about 7. It's stood me in good stead for a few years now, and if/when I can get a laptop again, I'll be going with HP, since they will still put 7 on their 'tops (at least, the last I heard; hope that doesn't change any time soon!). ;->

Uwk
  14. LordTiras Well-Known Member

Dell puts 7 on some, too, though I'm pretty certain I read that they've asked all OEMs to stop doing that early next year, now that the "corporate support patch" for Win10 has been released. Which reminds me, I should go buy a half dozen Win7 licenses before they disappear... :p
  15. Eradani Well-Known Member

xp stick-in-mud-here
    - i can open the marketplace with no problems
    - can't buy SC directly from in the game but that's on purpose and ok

differences i may have from most people:
    - i have my default browser set to IE6 because i use it for local javascript stuff i write
    - in my 3rd party firewall (ZoneAlarm version 6.5.737 - last best free version) i do not allow IE6 ANY internet access. (aside: a lot of "free" games i DL try to open up the browser for tracking and whatever - and now they can't)

when i click the marketplace button from in-game, i can buy whatever i want except SC. when i click the Add Funds button, it opens up IE6 browser which isn't allowed on-line so i get the "The page cannot be displayed" error and nothing else happens.

to buy SC, i used FireFox 35.0.1 (which i keep up to-date) to goto the store and purchase what i wanted. no problems.

this IE6 as default browser thing i have going also helped when there was that problem with the marketplace just opening a browser window continuously as it just opened once.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm! Thus proving the idea that "there are advantages and disadvantages to everything." ;->

Uwk
    Eradani likes this.
  17. Schlumpo New Member

0743 cst 11.27.15 Friday

Marketplace still crashes (with no potential fix til Thursday) ...and now you offer 25% off Daybreak Cash for today only?!

The "black friday/xmas"sale is overwhelmingly disappointing to begin with considering the deals used to be 50%+ on station cash in the past years. However, I feel confident this is the 'best' deal we will ever see by Daybreak and I can't even take advantage of it!? Normally I would spend several hundred dollars over the course of each year, purchasing the bulk of it at the holiday sales events. Considering the vast amount of virtual items available now (Player Studio) you would think the discounts for virtual cash for virtual items would be much better, that the sales would be more frequent with better prices and at the very least, accessible to the people you are trying to sell to.

Vista/XP users should not be excluded from your sales events.

:mad: Happy Holidays!
  18. LordTiras Well-Known Member

You're not excluded. You do know that you can click on "Home" at the top of these forums, and buy DBC from there? You don't need to be in game at all to buy it. I never buy it in game. In fact, when you do, it opens a browser and sends you to the website. Just like if you click up top.
  19. Jamiss Developer

Definitely! As LordTiras mentioned you can purchase Daybreak Cash from the shop at https://www.everquest2.com/shop and if you want to take advantage of the Mercenary Bundle sales you can purchase them from Sneerio Backlash in the Rogues Gallery. The entrance to the Rogues Gallery can be found in the mercenary hiring area in either major city!
  20. Schlumpo New Member

Thanks for the advice, to bad it comes to me a day late and unable to take advantage of the sale. This should have been suggested by DB prior to the sale considering all their customers that use Vista and XP as operating systems are being locked out of marketplace.This is a very unusual way of purchasing in-game cash for me as I usually buy it off the browser.