Official EverQuest II and Windows Vista discussion

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-TSR-JasonC, Nov 21, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-karmasoft Guest

Efroma wrote:
    I'm getting the same thing. The odd EQII progress bar, followed by Vista reporting a client error.
    Just started getting this today ... has been working great for months on vista, until today. Please help!
    [IMG]
  2. ARCHIVED-karmasoft Guest

Zacarus@Nagafen wrote:
    I will confirm that the information provided in this thread ...
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=453718
    specifically in the post time stamped ...
    06/24/2009 13:04:08
    ... allowed me to start the game.
  3. ARCHIVED-Grimmn Guest

Exactly the same problem as the above posters.. worked fine this morning (about 9am PST to 10am). Now this afternoon, I am getting the new progress bar- Evertquest 2 Logo with a green progress bar below- when I launch the game and the client crashes right after launch. Windowed or full screen, same problem. Deleted Scan cache and ran a full scan with no success logging in afterwards. Please post a fix ASAP!

Windows Vista 32
    2.4 GHz Core2 Duo
    2gig RAM
    1 TB HD
    BFG Nvidia 8800gt (latest drivers)
    Using Station Launcher (tried old patcher/launcher- same problem)
    Profit UI (reborn, fully updated, no other mods)

Xerxyzzz Z'Rex
    80 Necromancer Blackburrow server
  4. ARCHIVED-xabbik Guest

Same problem as the above posters
    everything was working fine untill last night now can't get past the patcher .
    getting the same EQ2 client error box and the same wierd Everquest 2 box when trying to log into game
    OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 4094MB RAM
    Page File: 1874MB used, 6518MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8600M GS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_30CC103C&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 2284 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 493 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um, nvwgf2umx.dll
    Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7432 (English)
    DDI Version: 10
    Tryed everything that the other posters above me tryed and nothing works
    I can get into the game from my old xp based computer with a crappy vid card and not alot of ram so not sure what has changed in the past day or so but I can not get into the game at all on this newer computer.
    please help us asap
    thanks
    Xabbik
    various toons on multiple servers =)
  5. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanielH Guest

Greetings,
    The client crash that most people are reporting was caused by a bad patch that was pushed out in the last 48 hours. To fix it you can simply delete the patch.vpk file. By default, that file will be located at C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest 2\paks\ . That should allow you to start the game and bypass that issue.
  6. ARCHIVED-xabbik Guest

Thank you TRS DanielH
    followed your instructions and that has done the trick I can get back into the game again now
    thanks for the quick response
    Xabbik
  7. ARCHIVED-S_M_I_T_E Guest

This thread was immensely helpful in getting Vista to accept EQ2 for my new rig.
    But I'd like to mention that if anyone has trouble actually installing vista on blank hard drive(s) in order to get to the point where you can install EQ2 you might have to partially format the drives on an XP machine while slaved via a DOS program from the HD manufacturer.
    This is so the Vista installer can actually "see" then in order to install vista to get to the point where you're installing EQ2.
  8. ARCHIVED-Quaim Arcanus Guest

I am confused, I have the problem stated above with 2 main differences. 1st, I played no problem from the time of the patch, till this saturday, which was like aug 1 or 2nd I believe, and then my hard drive died...I reinstalled everything, and have had no problems except...the problem listed above with the strange loading bar and the client crash. The problem is in my paks folder there is no such file as patch.vpk, nor in my normal files, so I don't know how I could even begin to delete it. The only files I even have that begin with a P are the 5 Permafrost.vpk files in the paks folder, and in the Everquest folder 2 files named plc4 and plds4. This is really getting old quick, any help would be very much appreciated.
  9. ARCHIVED-ElfSavior Guest

Quaim Arcanus wrote:
    Hello, has there been an update to this? I have the exact same issue. I cannot seem to find "patch.vpk" in my folder. However if I start EQ2 from the EQ folder (not my shortcut on the desktop) I can log in the game and play.
  10. ARCHIVED-vochore Guest

thats kinda odd,must just be your system.i just installed vista 64 on my rig and turning off uac was the first thing i did,installed eq2 and all my other games on my sec raptor hardrive.spent the prerequiset 10 hrs repatching eq2 then launched the game,works fine every time....and NO UAC.
    only thing i had any problems with was getting creative alchemy set up for the game so i could get my 5.1 surroundsound but even thats working awsome now.
  11. ARCHIVED-Scytherxx Guest

First time playing, got the trial, i hit play and it says it has stopped working and yeah. Its one of those appcrash errors, i cant seem to find a fix, thanks to anyone who knows how to fix it :D
  12. ARCHIVED-jeff073168 Guest

I tried to come back and give EQ2 another try after many years with the 14 day free trial. I'm getting the same client crash as many others. runinng Vista 32 with Nvidia 8500GT. I tried everything from many, many pages of posts to no avail including a more recent post saying to roll back my Nvidia drivers to version 186 to no avail. From the posts going back to 2007 with the Vista stability issues you would think this problem would have been fixed by now. With Windows 7 now released it will probably only get worse. This issue should be a top priority for the devs considering it's keeping possible new subscribers from playing. I'll check back occasionally for a real fix but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure any game is worth the amount of time I've spent troubleshooting.
  13. ARCHIVED-Eltchar Guest

This is a general reply about running EQ2 and vista ultimate 32-bit. Basically it is a pain. It has gone from ok to bad to worse and then back to ok as of 11/2009.
    In the past couple years since getting the vista machine there was initially problems with out of memory messages while running the game. That does not seem to be the case anymore, as long as the quality settings are not to high.
    My basic strategy has always been to turn off all unnecessary services, manually. Perhaps there is a way to setup a gaming profile to do that automatically. I don't know. All I know is that if the OS is using more than 700 mb ram the game will not start. If it is using less than 700 it will run fine with no stability issues. The difference can be as little as 5 mb, whether it will run or not.
    Unfortunately I must conclude that 2 pigs don't get along well together.
    Core 2 2.6
    4Gb ram
    8800GT
  14. ARCHIVED-kaxak123 Guest

i dont know if this is the right place to post this, but each time the launcher tries to update for my EQ2 (i just purchased the game) im having a problem, i looked in the log, and i keep getting this:
    2009-12-21 17:54:40 [1508] ERROR VoiceServiceAPI - Request queue couldn't be opened
    Any ideals on whats wrong, and how i can fix it?
  15. ARCHIVED-Rannoll Guest

Ok, new to EQ, trying to make it work cuz I am not buying it unless I get to test some actual gameplay. I can't even get to a gameplay screen on Escape to Norrath, just the launchpad stays on screen, and I can't even get to a download for EQII. it keeps telling me to create a Station account even though I have one.
  16. ARCHIVED-Spiritrez Guest

I have 8600GT SLI 512ddr o.c. shader and having the same crashes since Halas..
  17. ARCHIVED-Spiritrez Guest

jeff073168 wrote:
    [IMG] 06/02/2010 18:54:23 Subject: Re:Official EverQuest II and Windows Vista discussion
    I have 8600GT SLI 512ddr o.c. shader and having the same crashes since Halas..
  18. ARCHIVED-mits Guest

Is your vista or even xp computer running slow, eq2 taking so long to load zones?
    Then this might just be the solution for you! It's call the sledgehammer and Don't take that literally!
    DISCLAIMER: Under no circumstances will anyone be liable for any errors or omissions in any of this advice or for any loss or damages of any kind incurred as a result of the access to, downloading, viewing, listening, use of or inability to use any advice sent through or appearing on any part of this discussion.
    How it works:
    1. Backup all your data to an external hard drive, don't forget to copy your Sony folder under program files. And all those MP3's and things you might have purchased online.
    2. Download the latest Drivers for your computer. Don't forget to download the drivers for your video card and wireless cards, ect. if they were installed after your computer was built. Burn these drivers and software to a blank cd/dvd or usb flash drive.
    3. For this part it might be best to get a tech guru to answer questions if you never have done this before. Start a Fresh install of Windows xp or vista firstly by disconnecting your external hard drive / flash drive. Reboot your computer with a vista or xp installation disk (or your computer recovery disk that came with your computer).
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions, you need to delete the partitions from your hard drive and then make a new one. Format with NTFS and choose a Full Format if you think your hard disk might bad spot on it or is 5 years or older.
    5. After Installation of windows, download and install the latest service pack for your windows. If you cannot connect to the internet install the network drivers firstly. If you would take my advice and only install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP because SP3 has been known to slow your computer down on some systems. If you have vista, update to the latest, at least do service pack 1 that one is critical.
    6. Install the new drivers for your computer, start with the Video Drivers and next your network drivers. Reboot your computer after each driver installs (this may see stupid but it will save you incase of a driver install failure, you can boot up into safe mode F5 or "use the last settings that worked". Sometimes Intel Matrix Storage Drivers can cause xp to Blue screen after that driver installs so take your time and remove the driver if it causes crash in safemode.
    7. Install your antivirus and antimalware software. I use AVG 9 free edition, it does not cause problems or slowdown like macafee and norton have on my system.
    8. Plug in you external hard drive and copy over all your files and Everquest 2 in the sony folder to your computer. Open the sony folder once it's copied to your computer and make a shortcut of Eq2.exe to your desktop. No need to reinstall eq2 from scratch.
    9. Don't install anything else at this point, run eq2, adjust your settings as needed and enjoy the performance boost from doing all this work. For some people it's like having a brand new computer. Just be aware that any more software like Google Desktop, toolbars, myspace im and such might cause your computer to run slowly or stop working, so install those if you must later and with care.
    10. If you got assistance from a computer tech or friend, make sure you thank them with a gift certificate or something. That is, if they were helpful heh.
    If everything went well and you notice a big improvement Grats. If not then no refunds, you might need to bring your compuetr to a repair shop that is qualified.
    How often do you need to do this? I don't know, maybe every year or so.
    Since I have been using Windows 7 home premium x64 (retail genuine) I have not had to sledgehammer my computer. Even durring the beta, things seemed to stay consistanly better and EQ2 ran better, even looked better. I highly recommend it if you have a newer computer that has supported hardware.
    Peace and Good Luck !
    -Viix
  19. ARCHIVED-Oliverrayde Guest

I am getting an "EQ2 Client has stopped working" error. I have 64 bit Vista Ultimate. This problem has been posted about 2 years ago and there is no fix. SOE or someone better have something. Someone help, or join me in calling SOE until they fix it or we could just boycott I don't care.
  20. ARCHIVED-Oliverrayde Guest

My issue has been fixed somehow. I went and downloaded an old trial launcher from fileplanet i believe and it just worked. I hope that helps anyone else.

Thanks to the people who helped.