Off topic

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Soara2, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Soara2 Well-Known Member

We need an off topic forum, sometimes I want to talk about non game stuff. Like these avocado enchiladas. Yeah. Thanks.
    Pixistik, Momo, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  2. Elyria Well-Known Member

well, what about those avocado enchiladas? Were they spicy? Were the avocados inside or maybe on top? Were they delicious? Red sauce or green? :D
    Roxxlyy, Momo, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I don't like avocados. I don't like enchilada sauce either. I prefer red chili burritos with no sauce. I like to put hot red sauce on them while I am eating them, that way they do not get soggy.
    Svenone, Momo, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Breanna Well-Known Member

I don't like Avocado's either. But burrito's are awesome with red sauce, never liked the green.
    Svenone, Momo, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  5. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I did like them, its like guacamole in it and salsa Verde is on top. it is a little spicy. I had gotten a plate with 5 different mini enchiladas. they were all good. It fed me now 4 times lol. I didn't think I would like the avocado one but it was soo good.
    Momo, Cyrrena, Rosyposy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I don't like avocados either, and there aren't a lot of places you can get Mexican food here (NZ). I've had tacos, nachos with sour cream and red salsa, and I think I've had enchiladas, but not sure. I don't like chili, either hot or sweet.
    Momo, Cyrrena, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Liking chili is an issue of capsacin tolerance. You kinda have to build up to it. The reason people love hot chili dishes is that eating chilis produces all sorts of endorphins. NZ has to have oriental and Indian food places though, with hot chienense peppers and various grades of curry? (I have had what I'd describe as "weapons-grade" green jungle curry, which was hotter than any Mexican food I've eaten...)

However, generally enchiladas are not loaded with peppers. In fact, lots of types of enchiladas are pretty not-spicy. Chicken or cheese enchiladas in a sour cream and cheese sauce, for instance.

The classic Tex-Mex enchilada here in Texas has a cheese or ground beef filling. If beef, it's been browned with onions and garlic and maybe some spices. The classic enchilada red sauce uses chili powder, tomato sauce, cumin, garlic, and onion with some water, flour, and maybe salt.

American chili powder is a mix of pepper powder and other spices such as cumin, garlic, and onion, while elsewhere in the world "chili powder" is synonymous with "ground cayenne pepper". American chili powder, therefore, comes in a wide range of "hot" (Scoville units) depending on what pepper has been used and how much it's cut with other spices. Reading the label is really a good idea!
    • sweet bell pepper, pepperoncini, pimiento - 100 Scovilles
    • poblano peppers, ancho peppers - 2,000 Scovilles
    • cherry peppers, anaheim peppers - 2,500 Scovilles
    • jalapeno peppers - range from 2,500 Scovilles to 8,000 Scovilles.
    • green Hatch peppers - 6,000 Scovilles
    • serrano peppers - 23,000 Scovilles
    • cayenne, Tabasco - 50,000 Scovilles
    • habanero pepper (Scotch Bonnet) - 325,000 Scovilles
    • Carolina Reaper (current world champion hottest pepper) - 1,569,383 Scovilles
    • Police grade pepper spray - 5,300,000 Scovilles
    I love poblano, ancho, and Hatch peppers, myself. I'll go up to 50,000 Scovilles, but beyond that, there's no flavor, just caustic burns. Dinnertime should not be a testosterone contest of who can eat the hottest thing.

So, if you want the taste of Tex-Mex but can't deal with the heat, you just need to use milder peppers, or lots less pepper in the mix.

You also aren't limited to red chili sauce. I love tomatillo sauce. Tomatillos look like little green tomatoes, in a papery husk. Tomatillo sauce uses tomatillos, garlic, onion, a little lime juice, and a tiny amount of pepper (like 1-1.5 jalapenos per pound of tomatillos). You roast the tomatillos, garlic, onion,and peppers , then blend or run thru a food processor until smooth.

And then there's mole, which is made with unsweetened chocolate and peanuts and various spices, or else green mole, which features roasted pumpkin seeds, plus spices and peppers.

Now I'm hungry!
    Soara2, Momo, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I never liked the green either!
    Soara2, Momo and Breanna like this.
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I am hungry too! But I go a bit higher on the hot scale. I love the hatch green chilis, I love the jalapenos, the habaneros, the serranos, and I have grown to like just a teeny tiny dice of a ghost pepper once in a great while. I do not believe I have ever tried a Carolina Reaper.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Ghost pepper runs 855,000 to 1,041,427 Scovilles, vs. the Carolina Reaper at 1,400,000 to 2,200,000 Scovilles. We're talking more than 100 times as hot as a jalapeno.
  11. Red Adder New Member

24:46 Scoville level 2,000,000+.

Gordon Ramsay Savagely Critiques Spicy Wing | Hot Ones
    Gordon Ramsay is one of the world's most decorated and successful chefs, with an empire that includes more than a dozen restaurants, countless best-selling cookbooks, and seven hit TV shows, including Master Chef Jr., which returns to Fox this February. But how is he with spicy food? Find out as the MOST-REQUESTED GUEST in Hot Ones history finally sits face-to-face with Sean Evans. Despite his misgivings about the culinary quality of the wings of death, Gordon throws himself into the challenge full force. Along the way, he discusses his chef influences, explains how to make the perfect scrambled eggs, and tries to find an antidote to spicy food.
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  12. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Yes, we do, but again, I don't like hot food. I like spice and taste, but not heat. My philosophy is that your food shouldn't fight back.

I don't think we have many of the things you mentioned in the rest of your post.
  13. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

yeah, but are they..

Feldon, Cyrrena, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

super easy wimp chili:
    1 pound ground beef,
    2 cans of diced tomato (I like to use the type with garlic or chili flavorings, but plain works ),
    1 small can of tomato sauce,
    2 cans of beans , pinto or black beans are good , ( save your kidney beans and red beans for that three bean salad! not this chili! ;)
    a cheaters envelope of chili spices , I use Mrs.Dash if I can find it , the Mrs.Dash fajita seasonings work well too . and they don't add more salt ..
    ^ ^ ^
    yes, I do , and have made the whole thing starting with fresh tomatoes and dry beans ... but that's not easy and fast :p . and the above has the advantage of being shelf stable for long periods . just add fresh meat .
    ^ ^ ^
    brown the beef feel free to add some sweet green peppers, garlic and onions , or not , to taste.
    (for a very nice variation use a cheap cut of roast in a crock pot , brown the outside of the roast , add everything except the beans and cook until the roast shreds into rags , then add the beans bring back to a boil adjust the heat and salt , eat !)

add the spices, and all the cans of .. tomatoes , beans, sauce , and bring to a boil turn it down to a simmer for 20 min , taste and adjust the salt . the resulting chili will be very tasty and something that kids and folks that don't do heat can enjoy.

my contribution to the off topic , enjoy :)
    Siren, Cyrrena, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  15. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Some days I sit and daydream... usually after a hard day of questing in Norrath.

"I wonder how I'd design the office layout at DBG headquarters if I had the chance"

The bathroom: would be on the 3rd floor, but the elevator only goes to 2 - and you have to take the stairs up 1 flight. The staircase is only wide enough for 1 person to navigate freely, so if someone's coming down, you must wait until they're off the stairs to move up.

Everyone uses a paper punchard to track their hours, because hey:nostalgia !; the timeclock is on the 5th floor. So after negotiating the stairway to the 2nd floor, the elevator located there only goes moves between the 2nd and 4th floor, and its on an automatic timer.

After hitting the fourth floor, you hit the same style staircase as the one you met on the 2nd floor - but it only goes down to the 3rd floor so you can take the express elevator to the 5th floor. After you clock in, return to the ground floor where you being your work.

You work for a little while, and decide to print something. You send the print job over to the printer, which is at the back of the ground floor office. Once you get there, you notice someone else waiting on their own print job. So you wait patiently. They collect their papers, and you move up to collect yours, but the printer paper despawns. You read on the screen that "your print job has been fowarded and is located somewhere on the ground floor" Naturally, you yell out "camp check, printer 2!" so you can save yourself the headache of waiting....

You make it back to your desk only to see a note saying "Report to HR immediately".

"Uhm, where is HR ? Is it even in this building?"
    Yay, side quest!
    You look at the office building map, and there's no blue circle around where HR might be located... All you see is the outline of the building... some parts seem a little blurry, but hey, that's because you've never been there before. Luckily you've made some friends since you started working, so you ask them politely where HR is located...
    "Hah, noob, don't know where HR is? It's in the Burned Woods on the 4th and half floor!"

Great!... aw man, now I have to use the bathroom again....

Pixistik, Raff, Geroblue and 7 others like this.
  16. Breanna Well-Known Member

Nice daydream LOL
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Zeddicious like this.
  17. Siren Well-Known Member

Zeddicious,

I think you've been reading too much Harry Potter while playing too much EQ2. ;) That was quite funny, though!

Flightrisk:

Your awesome recipe is now ensconced on my hard drive in its very own quite lovely little document. We are on the same wavelength: Chili is on my grocery list for this week anyway! Thanks!
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  18. Elskidorr Active Member

Y'all are on crack. Avocados are amazing.

Also, In the Highlander franchise, I always imagined that when the last immortal won the prize, the prize would be a burrito.
    ConcealFate, Elyria, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Breanna Well-Known Member

There can be only one! Not sure but I don't think they were talking a burrito for the prize. LMAO
    Elyria, Soara2, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

A whole avocado, peeled, split, seed removed and the hollow filled with shrimp salad, pinned back together with toothpicks, the whole thing battered like a chile relleno, and quick fried. Mmmm.
    ConcealFate, Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.