NOTDiy_2019 Contest Winners

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Slythara, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Slythara Member

I want to thank all the participants for bringing their A-game! You made this contest a delight and a pleasure to be a part of. With much deliberation and multiple trips to each house we are proud to announce we have found our winners. Although in our book you are all a winner. Wow such creativity! I have small tokens for everyone that participated so that you will have a memento of the occasion.

Without further ado:
    1st place: Rushdnotes with Luzifer's Reign Server: Halls of Fate
    2nd place: Xxtacii with NOTDiy_2019 Server: Maj'Dul
    3rd place: Keezia with NOTDiy_2019 Server: Maj'Dul

Honorary Mention: Carynn with NOTDiy_2019 Server: Halls of Fate
    Wisty with the Autumn Court Server: Halls of Fate

Give yourselves a round of applause and a loud cheer for accomplishing a difficult task! Thank you so much for bearing with me since this was our first ever NOTD contest. I look forward to next year's contest and hope to see each one of your houses then!
    Slythara
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Woot! :D

Grats to all who won and participated, but can someone (not saying it has to be you, Sly ;->) also include Public Test with the next event? Back in Niboota's day, her challenges were the only way Public Test really got any love, decorating event-wise (granted, there aren't a lot of people jumping into it there, but with contests, all you need is one ;->).

Uwk
  3. Rushd Active Member

Thank you so very much for hosting the contest Slythara. I had so much fun doing the project, even though it kept me up till 5am on multiple nights. :p It was my first contest, and I am so pleased many of you enjoyed the work! I will leave the property up up for some time to allow people enough time to come visit if they like. I'll also commit to donating to the Purse for next year!
  4. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Congrats! Cannot wait to see/video these houses.
  5. Carynn Well-Known Member

Honorary mention, not bad for my first time participating in a contest on EQ2. :) (And I didn't know how to make the house actors actually move, which I wish I did!)
    Faeonara and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Congrats all. Finally a contest I didn't win by default because I was the only one!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

When you go to put clothes/gear on your Actor, there's a little box/drop down menu to the lower right of that screen that reveals a whole list of various emotes you can make them do. Some are things that player characters can do under different names; there are some missing from what we can do (weapon brandishing being one, iirc...sigh :-/); and there's some that we can only do under certain circumstances, like the crafting "motions," complete with tools (pot and spoon for the "cooking at a stove" one, whatsit and magnifying glass for the Work Bench, etc.). :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Carynn Well-Known Member

When I right clicked it only told me I could play action or stop action, but I couldn't set an action. I have another actor. Maybe I can see if I can find this little box you mention. Thanks.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Playing or stopping the action (either Loop or just play when approached) is another drop-down list. This is specifically on the screen where you dress the actor in gear and clothes.

Uwk
    Carynn and Breanna like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah, found it; when you right-click on the Actor, there's a wide selection of things to choose from. At the very top is Customize; click on that.

This will get you the House Display window, where there's a miniature "character sheet" display for all the item slots your Actor can wear. There's a button near the lower right that says Clear All, which removes all the gear you put on the Actor if you click that. Then on the left, there's the check boxes Show Hood, then Display Heraldry on Cloak. Below those are the word Action: and the button across from it that defaults to None. Clicking on that button will bring up a loooong list of possible emotes your Actor can do, some of which are named the same as for characters, but others are not, even though they're the same move (very annoying, imho). They can also do emotes we can't, like all the Tradeskill ones.

One way to see what each does is to click one and watch what happens (make a note of which one's which, just for your own sanity's sake if you have senior moments; I think I do, but I can't remember... ;->). The default is that the Actor constantly does the emote on a loop. To make sure it only does it when someone gets close enough to it, you have to right-click on the Actor again and choose the third option from the top, Play Action When Approached, then Set Greeting Range; default there is Nil, no minimum range, since it's usually on a loop (Loop Action, which you won't see unless you choose Play Action When Approached. It's a toggle thing).

I find that a nice 1.0 range won't (probably) have your Actor doing its emote thing or saying something (Set Greeting Message will have it "say" something in Chat Channel) from like three or more rooms away from when you want it to do and/or say something. The default loop is a good way to see what the emotes do without having to trigger it again all the time, and setting a range is fine once you decide what you want. :)

Uwk
    Breanna and Carynn like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

On a side note: does anyone know offhand what Norrathian month Nights of the Dead occurs in? I know, I know, Oct-Nov., very funny, but that's in this world. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Carynn Well-Known Member

http://lorenorrath.free.fr/read.php?link=ncts

I found this book on one of the tables in the Academy in NFP. Good to see it on the lore page.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yep, saw that on Wiki, but it didn't really answer the question there. There's another page with a nice table on time conversions, but I don't really see any actual Norrath month->Earth month type thing. For instance, apparently late October-early November is, according to the /date command (I think that's it? Or the /time command?) is actually like the 4th month of the Norrathian year, which is:

"Month 4. WEEPING: This month exists within middle of the Growth season."

Like...April? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Carynn Well-Known Member

I did find this with a google search: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...estiny-starpyre-calendar-its-holidays.465679/
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Chikkin like this.
  15. Chikkin Well-Known Member

Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Carynn like this.
  16. Breanna Well-Known Member

Yes thank you thank you, that is pretty cool. And explains a lot.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! Thanks, Carynn! Yes, it does! Except why they thought officially that early November here was like in the middle (or thereabouts) of Weeping...something tells me we need like a leap year Earth-long day (or week, given that months in Norrath are 14 WEEKS [well, the time cycle on Norrath is way faster than Earth's, and the two moons probably have different cycles than Luna here...]?!) to get the calendar back on track again. ;->

Godfrey Daniels, more than that; if each Norrathian month is 14 weeks and each N. week is 10 days, then each N. month is 140 Norrathian days?? :eek:

And each N. year is 12 N. months, which means 1 N. year = 1680 N. days. So, no wonder they look at quatrains (though 1680/365 = 4.6027397, roughly), though I think the "stars" they're referring to are other planets in the system. If they get close enough, that could have an effect on Norrath's surface conditions (especially geologically).

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.