Nights of the Dead 2014 - Feedback and Bugs

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Extemper, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Extemper Developer

Another year has passed, and so Nights of the Dead returns to Test Server! Please post any feedback or bugs you find here.

Nights of the Dead brings goblins and ghoulies out from the shadows. Those inclined to celebrate the holiday through crafting will find a new book of recipes full of new house items being sold by official event merchants. And those feeling more adventurous can hunt ghosts in Antonica, and the Commonlands, or investigate the multiple haunted locations! Setri Lur'eth returns, and may or may not have another task for those willing (or not so willing) to help. As always, tricks and treats are the name of the game!

New Features for 2014!
    • New achievement!
      • Candy Crusher
    • New Quest!
      • A Dream, By Any Other Name - Offered by Setri Lur'eth in Nektulos, repeatable once per year.
    • New costume illusions available from holiday merchants!
      • Shadowy Lich Costume
      • Bounding Orc Skeleton
    • The Nights of the Dead merchants have new things to sell!
      • Celebrations of the Dead VII
      • New house items!
    Returning Features:
    • In-game mail informs everyone of the event!
    • Achievements!
      • Closet Full of Skeletons
      • Tricky Treats
      • Ghost Hunter Extraordinaire
      • Nights of the Dead Devotee
    • Events!
      • Headless Horseman Epic X2 Event in Nektulos Forest.
      • Haunted House in Qeynos and Freeport.
      • Haunted Mansion in Loping Plains
      • Haunted Hedgemaze Zone in Nektulos Forest!
      • Calcified skeletons spawning in Antonica, the Commonlands, and Nektulos Forest
      • Ponchy's quest line in Antonica.
      • Haunted Hedgemaze Zone in Nektulos Forest!
      • Gigglegibber Goblins in the player cities that cast illusion costumes on players.
      • Candy drops!
    • Quests!
      • "Survive the Night"
      • "The Haunting"
      • "This Won't End Well..."
      • "There Will Be Ghosts"
      • "A Nightmarish Illness"
      • "A Nightmarish Return"
    • Races!
      • Ghost Hunter: Commonlands
      • Ghost Hunter: Antonica
    This event is set to run from 10/9/2014 until 11/3/2014.

Enjoy!
  2. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

That nasty "Real Life" thing is pulling me away before I can test, but I ran in and eyeballed stuff quickly and noticed one thing that is likely an oops. Holiday recipes generally yield 2, with a few individual exceptions. However, none of this year's NoTD recipes yield 2. Is this intentional, sir? :)

~Mum
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Crafting:
    • What Niami mentioned: recipes are only yielding one, which goes against the norm.
    • The "Rusted Prison Door" and "Iron Maiden" use sandpaper on a Work Bench, shouldn't that be coal?
    • There is a plain and flowered version of the black velvet curtain, but the orange and seafoam ones only have flowered versions (love the curtains btw!)
    • The "Mucous-covered Egg" isn't very egg shaped
    • The iron maiden is AWESOME
    • I don't see any bloodstains on the "Bloodstained Meat Trough", unless the meat being red is supposed to be the bloodstains? To me it looks like a very tidy square meat bin.
    [IMG]
    Quest feedback in a bit, need to pull up my log/screens to get accurate info for it.
  4. Cyliena Well-Known Member

A Nightmarish Illness

Not the new quest, but something wonky happened with my character on this.This is a heroic character who is doing NotD for the first time, and this was the first NotD quest she did.

When I "looted" the Piece of Eight, I disco'd it, which seemed weird five years after quest release:
    [IMG]

Everything was fine, no Piece of Eight in my inventory that I saw. Finished the quest, did Survive the Night, did the new quest. Logged out, then upon re-login in my guild hall, I turned into a werewolf:
    [IMG]

I have illusions disabled but you can see my char got the height boost, as humans are not normally that tall. :p

I logged out and back in again and it didn't happen after that. Not sure I could manage to reproduce it and it isn't exploitable, just really, really weird.
  5. Asaenia Active Member

Too bad you can't play as a cow. Adding some mu to the piece of eight would let you hold on to it!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyliena like this.
  6. Calthine Well-Known Member

7. Cyliena Well-Known Member

A Dream, By Any Other Name
    • Setri did not have a quest feather over her head to show she had a new quest
    • The second graveyard in Commonlands did not have a ghost (around 131, -48, -212)
    • The zone "The Graveyard" did not have a ghost anywhere in it
    • The graveyard in Sinking Sands did not have a ghost (around -158, -93, -575)
    • The ghost that attacks (the 3rd? I was in Nektulos for that one, if location matters) did not have a book/feather icon over his head
    • I think the scarecrow mask particle effect matches a different one, but I don't have all the masks on Test to check this theory out
    SPOILERS / FEEDBACK
    I expect any Setri quest to be weird, but this one was weird... and disappointing, as well as very short. It starts to get creepy with the second ghost, and I thought, this is gonna be great. The third ghost acts angry and the fourth ghost gives you the silent treatment. By the fifth ghost you're wondering what is going on, but then you get the acid trip Unrest static, which brings back the creepy vibe. Until you go back to Setri, who then busts out her signature weird-quest-twist, and the quest is very suddenly over and we're zoned out of Nektulous all the way back to our main city. I realize the point is supposed to be that we were dreaming (or were we...? *cue spooky music*), but to me it's just a letdown that what felt like was ramping up to an interesting story turned into a short, confusing pile of 'meh'.

By this point we've been dealing with Setri long enough that it feels like we should be getting a better idea of who she is, yet it's continually avoided. Maybe she's supposed to remain an enigma, but if so, at least bother to give her quests a decent story and try to give us more than 5 minutes (okay, 10, with zoning) of quest to do (without making it a snooze-fest of waiting for zombie waves to spawn).

I realize you all work hard on NotD and I'm not trying to rain on your parade (I really do appreciate the events a lot!), but this one felt like someone either had a really skewed vision or phoned it in to rush the event out the door. The hedge maze and haunted mansion are both terrific examples of how masterful NotD quests have been, so maybe my expectations are just too high at this point. :p

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
    What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
    And for that name which is no part of thee
    Take all myself.
    Mophia and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Ok, have made one of everything in the crafted recipes so far, and found the following:

Technique/event mismatch: Black Velvet Curtains, Left; Black Velvet Curtains, Right; Flowered Black Velvet Curtains, Left; Flowered Black Velvet Curtains, Right; Flowered Orange Velvet Curtains, Left; Flowered Orange Velvet Curtains, Right; Flowered Seafoam Velvet Curtains, Left; Flowered Seafoam Curtains, Right - sculpting technique is used, but binding events are occurring, making it impossible to counter events

Name mismatch: recipe "Orc Bonepile" creates item "a pile of orc bones". (Names should match)
  9. Cyliena Well-Known Member

A Dream By Any Other Name

Two more things I noticed going through my log file.
    • The fourth ghost, Catrin... how did we know her name? She never spoke a word, yet at the end, we say "Catrin?" to her. The same could be said about the fifth ghost, Androis, as well. "Androis, you should not be here, you died long ago." I guess we can see their nameplates, right? :p
    • After you complete the quest, if you return to Setri, her dialogue still refers to the Charnel Hollow. I guess that might be the point, because it was a "dream", but it'd be nice if she snickered something about "are you awake now?"
    I livestreamed testing this quest; it's far from exciting, but here's the recording if that will help out with anything.
    Mophia and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Calthine Well-Known Member

11. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

"Small Dangling Skull Collection" is huge on default size. It will not fit in a basic inn room without resizing.
  12. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Naudi like this.
  13. Calthine Well-Known Member

I agree. Seafoam green is a horrible color! Had a kitchen that color once....
  14. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyliena like this.
  15. Spindle Well-Known Member

Sea foam in nature is beige or white http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/seafoam.html the green you linked to is a collection of paint swatches that someone decided to call sea foam. Sometimes I think paint color namers need to get out into the real world more often )

I'm gonna log in and see if I have a test baby crafty enough to make some curtains. They sound lovely looking.
  16. Extemper Developer

You know, there was a point when I was reading this thread, saying to myself, "They're not green? I swear they were green... they're cream colored? Am I going color blind?" But then it got better.

We won't be changing the curtain color, but if most folks think the color would be more accurately described by a different word, I can see about getting it changed. :)
  17. Extemper Developer

As far as the number of items crafted, the typo on the orc bones and the skill being used on the curtains, those will all have fixes coming very soon.
  18. Calthine Well-Known Member

Instead of changing it, I will withdraw my objections based on a) Niami said and b) my preview/display might be off.
  19. Calthine Well-Known Member

That may be true, but in a "vintage" 1970's-era kitchen, it's the fugliest green you ever splashed sauce on.
  20. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Feedback: A Dream by Any Other Name. We're having issues with ghost spawns (or lack thereof), and are not yet able to figure out a method to the madness. We know of 5 possible spawn points for the ghosts. There may be more, but we haven't found them yet. The ghosts aren't always there, though, and this could get very ugly once many folks are trying to do the quest at the same time. I've tried many other graveyards other than the 5 that Cyliena had luck with to no avail. I chased down 3 different ghosts in the same graveyard (LP), with solid chunks of time in between (3 hours between the first and second check of the same spot, 20 minutes between second and third), and one ghost in Antonica. (Nek, CL and Ant have been no-go for me on multiple checks.) The sanity-saver so far has been that I am using a warden to do this, so I have druid ports available, but ... gah! I gave up on getting the final ghost for now, to give the zones I've been running through time to fully empty and close due to lack of population.