Necromancer: How To Play

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Syere, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Twisty Well-Known Member

I don't have that round button - is this part of default UI? Can i get a screenshot? Regardless, /pet attack has no issues as far as i can tell. As long as your method sees ur pet start attacking the split-second u start casting ur 1st spell on target, I guess do whatever works for u.
  2. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Or you can press 3 and then 2 immediately after, queueing soulrot and having your pet start attacking immediately. I've also never, ever had problems with my pet not hitting another mob I'm in combat with even without having it attack every mob once.

If Vampire Bats isn't affected by ability mod still, which I'm pretty sure it isn't, it's still not worth casting. However, if that's been changed, sure.
  3. Darksavanna Active Member

I would say one thing get a vigerious geode from the 4th name in Lost Caverns, Drop the heal charm for it.
  4. Syere Member

I replaced it with a \aITEM -294201788 -996890617:Vehement Band of Interception\/a
  5. Syere Member

I'm actually running DrumsUI. Maybe it's a specific feature of Drums.
  6. Luciuz Active Member

This is the lifeburn macro I use, it casts unstoppable soul first to give me 18% max health before lifeburn casts. Be sure to include your own name and not mine in the target field ;)

[IMG]
  7. Occam Well-Known Member

Thank you, this thread is exactly what I was looking for!
    I've neglected my necro, and now that he's the next alt in line to get 100, I find my skill with him is lacking.
    Not like the necro is a really intensive class to play, but that I know I can get a lot more out of him than I currently am.

One question for Luciuz. What does the /p slash command do? That's not one that I've ever had call to use.
  8. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Twisty is the best necro ive ever grped with. Just sayin. :)
  9. leannel New Member

One thing I wanted to add is under pet options make sure your pet is set to "melee" and not "ranged". Do this even if your using a mage pet or you'll be losing dps.
  10. Anunnaki Active Member

Curious, why do you say this?
  11. Occam Well-Known Member

Where (if at all) do you put Mortality Mark and Siphoning of Souls?
    I hear people say to unload big damage right off the bat, but does casting straight debuffs help, or just slow down the damage?

My main since the day EQ2 launched is an inq, so I'm hardwired to think about debuffing first. :p
  12. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I always start with a debuff, so I'm less likely to rip aggro. I make sure Mortality Mark is in before a soulburn / lifeburn. If you don't debuff, you're hindering overall DPS and survivability.
  13. leannel New Member

I had my pet options set to ranged and didn't even realize it, when I changed to melee I noticed a big difference in my dps.
  14. Anunnaki Active Member

That's the thing though. It doesn't make any difference for a mage pet. It allows the pet to auto-attack, but the pet auto-attack DPS is essentially 0. The mage pet will put itself in range to cast all of its attacks (the closest of which is 30m.) There is no reason to put it into melee. The difference in your dps is most likely incidental and has nothing to do with the positioning of the pet.

When the pet AI changes go into effect (next month?), the scout pet will need to be in melee range, since its range is only 5m on its non-AA attacks.
  15. Luciuz Active Member

/p is party chat! I use that so my group's healer can heal me while lifeburning. I always communicate with my group's healer to let them know before hand verbally in voice chat or vent and also if they use ACT they can add the custom trigger for lifeburn.

If you would like to add this trigger to your ACT so you can share with your healer, copy the line below.

<Trigger R=".*?LIFEBURN*" SD="heal the eemo necro" ST="3" CR="F" C=" General" T="F" TN="" Ta="F" />
  16. Luciuz Active Member

Yep and always keep those up, mortality mark's max health reduction on an epicx4 boss that has lets say a billion health will take away ~20 million health (depending what tier you use). I wish mortality mark worked like verdict. A vampire necromancer can only dream... sigh.
  17. Occam Well-Known Member

Ah, I see. I've just always used /g (group), but it looks like they're exactly the same thing.

My main is an inq, so I know the benefit of this. I'm always surprised when I run across a necro who doesn't have a hotkey for this.

Thank you for the trigger! :)

As I mentioned, my main is an inq. That said, I really hope they never give an ability like Verdict to another class. Inq's are the current red-headed-stepchildren of healers and it would be a serious bummer to dilute one of the only things that make us desirable.
  18. Luciuz Active Member

Oh I take back my mortality mark comment, I'm pretty happy with the way elemental toxicity is on the beta/test server.

Another thing I'd like to add, I use Superior Signet of Life to heal myself for lifeburns. You can buy it from city merchants.
  19. Syere Member

I've started carrying around the Gnostic potion of Tactics, which puts me well over the mystical 1000% crit chance mark; running the 30 minute stat food, and also using the health regen potions after LB which greatly increases the chance I'll stay alive (dead necro = 0dps). That and incorporating several of the tips in this thread (Mortality Mark) and getting some green gear upgrades, reforging and adorning, I'm easily doing over 5m dps now (without a troub/illy) and much higher with. Now my biggest problem is ripping hate in pickup groups with undergeared tanks. I have to say, there was no single magic bullet to going from 1-2m dps to 3-5m dps (solo), each change I made yielded almost imperceptible benefit which was super frustrating. But added up, everything, has made a huge difference. I realize some raid geared necros are going to laugh at 5m dps, but honestly, in pickup groups running heroic zones, it seems at the higher end of the parse.
    Deveryn likes this.
  20. Anunnaki Active Member

You'll get more out of Gnostic's Elixir of Intellect (264 INT, 15% Pot) than you would out of Gnostic's Elixir of Tactics (154 CC). If you are using the new food and drink (Monsoon and Stormborn Souffle) you should clear 1k CC in heroic gear. I don't really see the returns of CC anyways, the gear is already going to have it, and I wouldnt spec, adorn, or use potions to get more.