Murmuring Reactant

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by DaimonosLucifer, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Shmogre Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, that NPC is a beta buffer...he only shows up on the beta server, to help with testing. There is no NPC on Live that sells reactants...

-----
    EDIT: Whoops, ignore this...just saw that the question was answered in this thread.
  2. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

The page you linked to for Aridoncx states "Purpose:Tradeskill Beta Buffer". He has never existed on the live servers, only on the beta server.
  3. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Listing a requirement would be more misleading than not listing one. It would lead to misinformed posts about how SOE is trying to nickel and dime people through pay-to-win. While a crafter does need AoD to get the recipe for the gear made from the reactant, the ultimate use for the item (getting a piece of gear made for your adventurer) has no expansion requirement.
  4. Airos Active Member

So instead we can have misinformed posts about how SOE is trying to hide nickel and diming people through pay-to-win?

Sorry, but anyone who is going to claim a features pack such as AoD is "pay-to-win" is just as likely to claim that CoE and/or ToV is "pay-to-win" since you gotta pay $40 to reach max level, and probably isn't adhering to our standards of logic to begin with.

I simply don't agree with the idea of withholding information from players for the sake of limiting the number of "pay-to-win" claims. If AoD is pay-to-win, then SOE doesn't have any qualms about adding such elements to the game and has no reason to feel shame when called out for it. If AoD is not pay-to-win, then those making such claims are only blowing hot air, and SOE has no reason to feel shame for ignoring said claims or, if they're feeling bold, stepping in to correct such false claims.

In other words, "haters gonna hate", and the inclusion/exclusion of information in the game is not going to change that.

Of course, I don't recall seeing any posts making such claims in regards to the Prestige AA trees which have a big ol' "Requires Chains of Eternity" slapped across it, so it's not like there isn't precedent for what I've suggested.

o_O

I'm not talking about the "ultimate use for the item". Everyone who says that that item doesn't require AoD/Tradeskill Apprentice is absolutely, undeniably, irrevocably, 100% correct. I am only talking about the reactants themselves, and nothing else.

Whomever uses the reactant, must have a tradeskill apprentice. It's is not an option, it's not a suggestion, it's not a recommendation, it is a requirement, and it is a requirement that is spoken of less than the actual name of he-who-shall-not-be-named.
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Honestly the reactants are already confusing enough to examine without adding something like "Woodworker, level x+, AoD" to each piece.

The SS drops would be even worse..."X of this item, Y of that item, Z of another item, Woodworker level xx+, AoD, raid apprentice"
  6. Tatanka_7th Active Member

(Sorry, this was a reply to Annshadow. I thought it was the end of the thread, but was just the end of the 1st page :) )

If you read the notes on that mob (http://eq2.zam.com/db/mob.html?eq2mob=03ab0b4b29d9393edeac6f113ed99702#Comments) you would see he's not on the live servers. You can't buy reactants (except from other players on the broker).

For the assistants, you don't use the ones in Qeynos (or Freeport). You obtain one there, then place the contract in your house, and use THAT one to research recipes.
  7. Annshadow New Member

Thanks for the help. I only found the reference to Aridoncx in the "sold by" in a tradeskill forum. So, all I had was a name.

Next Question: Is there a merchant that sells these? cuz I'm having really bad luck with the saber-whatever-gnoll Hero. Killed him 2 more times with no drop.
  8. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Broker. It is only sold by other players. You can get it as a drop or if you're lucky from your apprentice by doing his daily quests.

Edit: I've no idea of the drop rate, but if you say what server you're on maybe someone can PM you that they have some they don't need that you can buy.
  9. Tatanka_7th Active Member

See above: "You can't buy reactants (except from other players on the broker)."

For lower levels, I never bothered with the reactant gear, and by the time I wanted some, I could farm the plat to buy them off of the broker easily. As I remember, the lower level ones go for about 10p on the broker, and by the time you hit the mid 70s, you can farm that much plat using repeatable quests in about 15 minutes. The level 90 reactants are a different story, they go for over 100p.

Tat
  10. Annshadow New Member

Don't mean to beat this topic to death, but are you referring to the quest they give you while they are doing their research? like the "Make me a bag/knife" or are there different quest available?

Maybe I should look up what apprentices do. I just got them a week or so ago.
  11. Tatanka_7th Active Member

Yes, that's the one, make me a bag/knife/etc. You don't usually get a reactant, but occasionally, you do. The level of the reactant is commensurate with the character's tradeskill level.

Tat
  12. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

That is correct. Occasionaly you get a reactant instead of 20 commons or 1 rare.
    Edit: It IS still rare, and the reactant you gt is keyed to the level of your tradeskill. You can be 20 adv and 95 ts and get colossals, but if you're 95 adv and 20 ts...forget what the level 20 reactant is, but that is what you would get.