Mogrim's School for Warlocks

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Mogrim, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Chronus Active Member

You must also bear in mind that delaying a timewarp will also likely mean the mob is properly debuffed. Add to this the uplifting power, criticals and voice increment up over time and having more of those stats on your doublecasted spells is better for everybody.

To compare and better explain also the burst spike in a timewarp of both sorcerer's compared to summoners we have if we hold it, to better illustrate Mogrim's point.

Warlock: Sanguine boost + Scale of Sontalak + Spellbind + Focussed Casting -> Plaguebringer, apocalypse, increment nuke.
    Wizard: Sanguine boost + Scale of Sontalak +Spellbind + Fiery Blast (yes it doesn't count doubles but harder hitting spells will) -> Fiery Blast chain including increment nuke.
    Necro: Scale of Sontalak + Spellbind -> Undead Horde (which honestly can be held due to the huge recast and make little difference).
    Conj: Scale of Sontalak + Spellbind -> Communion + Ele Blast with possible reset.

The huge stat spikes as well as the doubling mechanic from fiery blast of the sorcs mean they will burst far higher than any summoner and their parses even rely on it.

Also I'd like to challenge the point of "loads less timewarps in the fight" by saying it isn't true and nor does it matter. There will be 1, potentially 2 less timewarps if there are resets. But timewarp is not what it used to be and will soon become nearly obsolete. Wizards are hitting 65% doublecast in raid anyways, I can get to 55 on my warlock (sub optimal wrist options open to me). The value of the SDA and the spell as a whole has gone down. However the value of the spells cast in it and the temps before have greatly gone up as stats have increased. This is why I even think that unless timed perfectly at 25s after the first on a short fight that timewarp resets hold very little value, as the value is in the temps.

The only time that timewarp at the start without increments would be best ever would be in a fight that would last less than 2 minutes, with the fight that finished as the 2nd tw runs out being the best example. However all dreadscale maw fights and even the last 2 in guardians are just huge walls of hp that take forever.

Also people need to stop valuing timewarp like it's God's gift to illys and mages, I'm probably not even going to care using an uplifting voice item once the expansion hits, it would only be a mere 25% doublecast to me anyway as it stands if I had the proc.
  2. SacDaddy420 Active Member

you should work with the highest parser in your group and form a synergistic bond, reading each others minds as you fight the deadly dragons and lizardmen. If that happens to be a summoner, then cool. Sounds like youve been talking to one already.

But if its a sorc then you see what we want.

Honestly, the most I care about TW is that its up for adds. The best illies I've played with had that ish popping when adds came in. Every time.
  3. Mogrim Well-Known Member

^^ and in the above case, you want to set up your nuke to be ready when adds are popping. Make it all sync up.
  4. Azian Well-Known Member

How do you folks keep track of your toxic aura increments? I suck at ACT and would love to set up an audible trigger for when you reach 180 increments. Has anyone done so or is it even possible? I rarely get to raid on my lock (usually heal) but did so the other night and would have loved to have a method other than constant attention to my buff window.
  5. Stike Member

Not sure how others do, but I use Drums UI and I add Toxic Aura to the spell timers section so its easy to see and position on screen so I dont have to hunt for it. Not sure how you would do it in ACT though, probably a way.
    Azian likes this.
  6. Azian Well-Known Member

That will be a lot better than what I had. If anyone knows how to (if possible) set an audible one in ACT I'd still take it but this is a big step in the right direction. Tyvm, Stike!
  7. Nynaeve Active Member

<Trigger R="You have reached the maximum increments of Toxic Aura" SD="Toxic" ST="3" CR="F" C="General" T="F" TN="" Ta="F" />
  8. Azian Well-Known Member

Thank you, Nynaeve. I imported it and apparently will have to play with it a bit as I haven't had it trigger successfully yet. Either way, tyvm. I
  9. Nynaeve Active Member

that is quite impossible. it triggers every time at 180.
    I haven't played in a month or so. gonna check it out right now.
    did you test it by hitting the play button in ACT? |>|
    did you even turn on your logfile?
  10. Azian Well-Known Member

Lol, yes my logfile is on. ACT would be giving me exactly nothing ever if the log wasn't on. I tested it initially by hitting the play button where I heard the "toxic" audio but then when I went and attacked a dummy to build up to 180 I had no results. I did it multiple times without success. I exported it to a friend who also tried without success. I had to switch characters and go raid so didn't have an extensive amount of time to test. I restarted ACT just to make sure that wasn't the problem. I'll try it again tonight. Oh, I also copy and pasted the text directly from my logfile into a new trigger mirroring yours and it didn't work either. I was worried there might have been a tiny syntax error or something. I can also try fighting on an actual critter instead of a dummy but I'm not sure why that would matter.

One odd thing I noted as I was reviewing my logfile was that I found that line (You have reached the maximum increments of Toxic Aura" in older fights (from last week) but not in any from last night despite having reached 180 repeatedly.
  11. Nynaeve Active Member

I just ran HQ contested, works for me still.
    (1407338049)[Wed Aug 06 17:14:09 2014] You have reached the maximum increments of Toxic Aura!
    maybe you have turned off some messages?
  12. Azian Well-Known Member

I tried it over lunch running an AS zone and it still wasn't working. This time, I did find the text showing up in my log files though. So, I basically made the exact same macro you shared from scratch and for whatever reason it worked. I looked at the settings of both the original and the new and can't find anything different about them. I have no idea whatsoever why yours didn't simply work for me. Either way, tyvm for the info. I'm going to greatly appreciate the verbal update when it hits max. One less thing to watch on screen.
  13. Givin Active Member

I understand the OP is designed for end game play but I was wondering how viable the AA build would be to level with and learn as I went. Right now I am holding at 20 while I farm up 350 AA so I can get that out of the way. Like most people I am just letting the default solo AA profile place everything for me until I can get an understanding of the class and what makes it tick in various roles.
  14. Cleaner Active Member

Toxic assault is untouchable. i have tried and tried to go left side for single target fights. it just doesn't compare with incremented abilities, the reuse on apocalypse and rift on single target fights still out performs left spec, i have been testing this trying different rotations i just cannot get anything out of the left side. I have read over the left side spec again and again. is it possible to get better performance on single target fights, am i missing something. i even tried out the temp buff extension figured that would make a difference....still nothing.
  15. getinfroggy New Member

Mogrim thank you for all of this....u mame me want to come back to game and start raiding again
    Laiina likes this.
  16. Cleaner Active Member

I would Pay real Close attention to this Post as you level up, you level you will need these aa's and gradually go into rotations, even at lower levels practice rotations, The main reason is to learn how and when to use them. Think of it as mentored "Hands ON" training.

As far as a leveling spec that will lead you down the right path i would start with stat increasers, skill increasers as your gear has little of either, then i would look at ability enhancements beyond that point. I would'nt bother swaping over to the aa's suggested here till i hit lvl 90 when you start getting gear and you can swap out of the stat increasing aa's over into Ability enhancements.
  17. Gullian New Member

Can someone explain Toxic Assault and Dark Aggravation more. I see Toxic come up, and can use it, however DA doesn't seem to activate. I am not sure if I am using it right. Thanks. Warlock is not my main. I just use it for fun and to blow it up!
  18. Cleaner Active Member

If you read toxic assult (Right side prestige) is you stack dots and other spells they build up increments (not all spells but majority) the spell will do particular amounts of damage based on stored increments just like those accessory items do. Once enough increments are saved you can spend them all by clicking toxic aura and releasing the blast.
    Dark Aggravation is triggered, basically when your attacking a mob you can trigger dark incubation on yourself for a short duration. the spell will light up and you can then use the ability, though the damage is a base amount that does not double cast, its almost obsolete, i also have been checking it doesnt seem to get a boost from rod of ruin or bertox boosts, ill have to look at it closer, or if someone could confirm, seems that just raw potency is the only modification its getting. would be nice to get a few people to test different spells with the different boosts running, as we all don't have the same boosters. Maybe compile a list of things effected and not effected.
  19. BluntedJavert New Member

TL;DR? Sorry, but I was looking where I can get a PvE guide. Not raid ready as a level 30 lock, and am having trouble with mobs my level or a bit lower. Seems most of what I find is outdated.

Can anyone point me to a leveling up guide for the lock? Something that isn't outdated because of updates or the new expansion. Thanks!
  20. Foretold Well-Known Member

Dude, this is definitely NOT TL;DR material. This is a warlock basics bible. I reread it on occasion just to find more ways to improve my parse. Don't skip it!!

I don't think there's any kind of "leveling" guide per se... and there's definitely nothing for the new content. I'd suggest making sure your gear is at level, and your spells are at least adept for your current level. That would be a good start.
    Mogrim likes this.