Mogrim's School for Warlocks

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Mogrim, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Dedith Well-Known Member

My suggestion: Level Agnostic dungeons or grinding with a decent merc (maybe the SK merc.. holds agro, self heals a bit, and does decent aoe dmg). once 90, get into a Skyshrine grind group till you ding 96, then work on Altar of Malice questline
  2. BluntedJavert New Member

Oh, I bookmarked this thread, to be sure. It's just that from reading through, it seemed more focused on raiding / endgame. I was hoping to find something while I get to be raid/ endgame ready, but it sounds like that might not be available out there (other than being outdated). But I hear ya, definitely something I have to study here as well.
  3. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Sweet! thanks for this, I wish more folks would do these type of write ups.
  4. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Is this still relevant? Any changes?
  5. Mogrim Well-Known Member

can check the link in my signature :)
    dirgenoobforreal likes this.
  6. Foretold Well-Known Member

Did they change the cost of the AA heroic tree endlines? It used to cost 20 AA to get a second endline. That doesn't appear to be the case any more, judging by the AA setups of a lot of sorcerers I've been peeking in on today.
  7. Mogrim Well-Known Member

It still costs 20 to get a second endline.
  8. Foretold Well-Known Member

There must be something screwy in the way the tree's final tally is presented on EQ2U (or in the game... I don't know, I'm at work), because your heroic line shows 52/100 points spent, but to get what you have, you'd have to have spent 70 points.

I was excited for a minute...
  9. Mogrim Well-Known Member

Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams. <3
  10. Foretold Well-Known Member

At least I'm a girl rat now. I have that, if nothing else...
    Laiina likes this.
  11. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Mogrim. In your guide you tell us to always cast netherlord, everytime ive tried netherlord it seems utterly useless, what am i missing?
  12. Mogrim Well-Known Member

Netherlord should be used roughly 20-25 seconds prior to your spike period. His stats will share with yours, and his AEs tick really rapidly at the end.

If the mob does something that routinely repeatedly kills swarm pets, don't waste your time with Netherlord, Dark Infestation OR Acid Storm. In those cases, all 3 are worthless.
    Laiina and Tharrakor like this.
  13. Koko Well-Known Member

I have collected some interesting warlock min/max tidbits. There is no rhyme, reason, or order to my information and I have no current intention of making a guide. So I'll contribute here;
    • Unda Arcanus Spiritus
      • Is modified by int as most other abilities, 5500*[0.28*log2(int)-1.2]
      • Is modified by CB & P through the traditional formulas (i.e. Damage = BV * (1 + P/100)...)
      • Is linearly modified by doublecast (i.e. 50% DC = 50% more damage)
      • Has a base damage increase of 10% per meter away from the target, i.e. @ 20 meters the BV is 3x 5,500
        • For those wanting a formula for their spreadsheets; BV = 5,500 * (1 + 0.1 * meters from target)
      • Is not a 'spell', therefore the stat boost from Freehand Sorcery will modify the damage of Unda Arcanus Spiritus but will not consume it (i.e. you can double dip)
    • Warlock Mythical Toggle
      • The original "+30% boost" is effective potency to Apocalypse, Absolution, Dark Siphoning, & Dark Nebula
      • The prestige enhance modifies their base values by +30%
      • Can be cast during other abilities
      • Counts as an ability cast
        • May kill you during "cast X and Y happens" scripts
        • Can be used to boost CB & P values through prestige 2.0 endlines, even mid-spell
    • Ability Modifier
      • Flames of Velious V does not have an ability modifier cap
      • Distortion VII does not have an ability modifier cap
      • Ability modifier for Thunderclap is frontloaded on the initial strike, assuming AM cap the skill relative damage becomes
        • 55.5% if range > 25 m [vs. 33%]
        • 77.7% if range < 25 m but range > 15 m (i.e. 15 m < range < 25 m) [vs. 66%]
        • 100% if range < 15 m [vs. 100%]
      • The acid exponential tick enhance does not influence ability modifier cap
      • Has no influence on doublecast abilities
    I might post more later.
    Laiina, Foretold and Kryvak like this.
  14. Laiina Well-Known Member

Interesting.. something I was not aware of. Made a couple of changes to my casting order to take advantage of this.
  15. Foretold Well-Known Member

Did the same here :D

Unda question, while I'm here. I know some mages who just macro unda to three or four of their most used spells so they don't have to key it directly. I'm not a big fan of macros, but have any of you warlocks tried it and had success with it? I find macros don't always work as well as they should.
  16. Mandoblast Active Member

I am not a huge fan of macros. I do have FH macro'd to Toxic and Caustic.

The reason I do not use macros is that there always seems to be something to click in a certain order depending on the fight. Outside of clicky and temp buffs, I am a huge fan of spell queing. Basically, I cast one spell and que the next and once you get use to this process, it becomes a never ending search for the next spell to cast. This is the part of the warlock that is the skill part. Probably the same in most classes, but for a warlock a missed spell can be a lot of damage lost. Seems like this is a never ending process and one that I work on all the time.

As for Unda, FH would boost the damage by 28% on the next spell cast by increasing Potency by 28%. Since potency increases Unda, this would modify it but not consume because FH is removed by a spell being cast. While maximum damage is 19m for the max Unda hit, there are only a few raid fights were I stand at 19m. Most raid fights I either stand at 15m (thunderclap max damage range) or the fight requires me to stand a lot closer. I try to cast Unda in my FC chain if it is up, but most of the time I cast it on cooldown.
  17. Foretold Well-Known Member

Yeah, my only spell macros are FH macro'd to toxic, caustic, and plaguebringer. I thought perhaps throwing Unda into those macros after the FH and before those spells might work to take advantage of Koko's tidbit above.

So far, though, all macros that I've tried have had some sort of fail condition (casting time differences, LAG, clickies not macroing for crap, etc) that they end up causing one or two things to not cast which in turn blows my parse. I'm wondering if this macro would succumb to the same issues. Since FH is not instacast, but Unda is... I foresee failure. Which means I'll have to undo the FH macro and key all three abilities manually to take advantage.

I guess I'm going to beat up a dummy tonight and see for myself.
  18. quisling Well-Known Member

Hey now stop threatening me...
  19. Mogrim Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put Unda into any macros. It's lack of cast time and recovery could cause unintended results.
  20. Daray Well-Known Member

I macro Unda into other abilities just fine. And according to parse data, I am firing off Unda every 15-17s without fail.