Merge some of these servers already

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Sikora, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estred Well-Known Member

To each their own. We have different experiences. In my experience those players who are without Adept+ or Adornments usually don't know what to do or do not wish to take the time. I have helped a number of "bad" players start understanding the game. So we have different experiences.

Yes, I have been through merges and I see that it doesn't help much. It does however get players talking more with each other which gives the feeling of a more lively server. Commonly I see people log out due to not only no-groups but nobody to talk with. Of course I run with my friends and guildmates, I also do pugs though for easier zones. I exclusively guild/friend for Talavan/Nox Incessit and Challenge Duo. I PuG plenty of things. I do practice what I preach but I also avoid PuG's at times. Also with the 7 players in a group, I think you neglected to realize that Typo's happen and sometimes they are not caught. The Edit Timer is long expired so I can't fix that even when I noticed.

If you have players who have absolutely no business in your group, kick them. I have done so, sent them a tell saying roughly

"Your gear is far too low for this zone, you will die almost instantly. Try running XXX or getting XXX gear and it will help you out a lot."

I either get no response or a "thanks, I will try that zone." You can help these "bad players" to an extent. It seems to me though that we are arguing over a moot point. I am neither in favor of or against a Merge. You are against a merge. Let's leave it at that.

Painful, let's leave it at that. I had much more PuG-Luck on Guk.
  2. Kalika Well-Known Member

Storm is quite anemic too. Veteran raid teams are still playing like twice a week at 9 pm, but there is not much single group activity.

I would not mind a large international European server. Like 15 years ago i played Eq1 and raided a bit
    with a german based guild (yeah it was Uber as often with German teams ;-) ). Players where simply from anywhere in Europe and we used the lingua franca (poor English) too communicate.

Some players that i know really want a localized client, but if localization had been done properly
    the server is universal, and so it can be done.

Lively servers are the only way to keep new players in.

Ps : the fact that the solo game is now far too trivial probably does not help. To get hooked into a game you need a minimum challenge a sense of accomplishment.
    Avirodar likes this.
  3. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Sadly, that is something the "I want it now, for zero effort, because I pay a sub!!!" crowd will never understand. But EQ2 turned its focus to the short term, a long time ago, and it really shows.
    Wirewhisker and Kalika like this.
  4. Raahl New Member

I agree, please Merge servers. Unrest is horrible. I've seen two guilds fold because of lack of Active players.
  5. Chronus Active Member

I think that a lack of incentive to run heroics other than HE and DC multiple times for even heroic players, yet alone raiders is a bigger problem. If there was a progression of heroic zones and a point to starting at the bottom and going up you could also have raiders join in later because of not having to experience the those that are terribad, because they can't get past the previous zones.

Not to say that it's not required for some (only ever played on Freeport and Splitpaw) but I don't think it's the root cause.
  6. Ecugia88 Active Member

Maybe while they are hiring Blizzard devs to help them ruin this game by experimenting on it for EQN, they can hire some the devs from EVE Online to help them figure out how to merge all the PVE servers together without MAJOR LAG. Eve Online is 1 server and can support 70k players. Look at how awesome those graphics are, 70k people and it doesnt lag.
  7. Ucala Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter, yes the servers are pretty dead, they are dead during the day because people work, they are dead during the night because most people raid. merging at this point wouldn't do much, Also you have to take in the fact that it's close to the end of the expac, most people are done with whatever they wanted to do for the expac, it will pick up some when ToV launches. like Chronus said, you can only run HE and DC so many times before you don't group at all
  8. Atan Well-Known Member

The new ethereals are reason enough to group. I think the drop chance is too low in the heroic ones, but the gear is out there for ya.
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

If not merge, then at least allow a full account transfer for a set fee. But 25 bucks / character is bit steep.
    CoLD MeTaL likes this.
  10. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Never seen an ethereal drop. And even if it does, you got a 1 in 4 chance for it to be for your class and a 1 in x chance of winning the roll, not really worth it. It's like buying a lotto ticket, you know you aren't gonna win.
  11. Cube Active Member

my server was already merged once. but I could go for it to be done again since if I would have known it was not a big population server when I made the characters on it I would have never picked it.;

This was before they had the thing on the main page showing how full each server is at anytime of the day I would have watched them for a few days then picked one. in fact I liked final fantasy xi way of doing servers you did not get to choose the servers did based on population or at random so ever server seemed full if you did not like it you could pay in game money to move to a friend to another server by server invites,

Im not paying real money to move all my characters to antonia bayle AKA the server I want to go to because I hope it shows more life because I don't think they stay in the guild halls all day fast travel to dungeon instances/raid then teleport back to the cushy guild hall and that is all they do, is the same things and I find that boring as hell. The only people I run into is people in my guild the same people every single day, you can hang out outside or any other zone and watch people level or something until you get a group liek other games because every where is dead.

I used to be a healer white mage and I used to hang out and revive/teleport/heal people not in my group or the noobs leveling and stuff like that while I waited for a group and eat dinner but I cant do that in this game at all. So i log in to see what is going on and then log out since 99% of the time I see nothing going on but my guild doing the same junk and nobody else not in my guild is around.

Oh and the grouping flag button system thingy is useless I want to turn it on and just AFK until I get an invite but nobody uses it in this game they just spam world chat and most people end up not paying any attention to all the people spaming looking for groups. The ways people do stuff like this in everquest 2 is the dumbest most non sense things I have seen people do in MMOs.

They have changed this game to make it too easy so everybody can do everything alone and everybody stays in their guild halls that has everything in the game for them in it so they never leave, fast travel makes them skip over everything and go straight to the target and they can do everything with CPU NPCS and don't ever need to do anything with real players

So all this stuff makes the game seem 5 times more dead it is even worse on servers with low population. it just ends up making the game to boring predictable and dead in the long run. like a bad movie script a murder mystery so predictable its boring because there is no longer any unpredictable humans around in the zones/citys and they play in instanced dungeons so you cant see them either..

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/13/eiji-aonuma-discusses-hand-holding-in-zelda-a-link-between-worl/
  12. Cube Active Member

OH and if more things went on in my server with and I would meet more people I would be more likely to bother going back to gold and not just hangout on silver free to play account. but everybody I see on my server is boring if I see them at all and or the same people I kill stuff with everyday and it's the same thing they do everything the same dull way nothing interesting happens and we always win. Hell I don't even have to do anything on some days I just sit and watch the guild kill crap throw out a heal or attack spell every so often then we fast travel back home then click on bells do it again. I know what they are going to do to a almost robot AI like degree at this point.

So not exciting so easy so predictable, Just once I would love to have some unstable noobs that has no idea what the hell he is doing cause total chaos and we all die or something interesting.....Not that death in this game matters I don't find it scary and will just kill my self for kicks nothing in this game is scary anymore since they took out any death that means anything. nobody has to work in groups with anything you just run out see if you die then run back and do it again it's dull. before I used to get cheep thrills at this stuff and not knowing what people would do now I get nothing no adrenaline rush at all. it was even more exciting if I was playing the healing person that had to keep everybody alive when they do dumb things.

And all these people in other games would get swapped out iof leveling/questing groups for new ones as they would leave and everybody did something their own way nothing got stale you had no idea what they was going to do. I would play with a new set of people I never seen before every few hours in some games it kept the game interesting and random and I had to deal with what ever it was the new people brought with them.
  13. Wurm Well-Known Member

I've gone through two merges so far and can only speak positive about the experience.

Innothule -> Crushbone <- LDL

And lately the bone is hopping, we've even had Qeynos 1 and 2 zones for a week now and since the Heroics went live GD 1, 2 and 3.

No problem finding groups or raids at all.
    Neiloch likes this.
  14. Wurm Well-Known Member

And as far as pugs go, If I have a healer I know online I don't care about the rest of the group. Since I know I can tank the content and have a good healer backing me up everything else will fall into place. Last time I booted someone from one of my pugs it was a Assassin we were pretty sure was auto-follow through 65% of the zone.

I even had a "bad player" I always invited along since he told me in tells that he was handicapped and couldn't play very well. Got him a lot of updates during DOV and sent him adorns for the gear in the mail (I send a lot of adorns to people I notice needing them, Why not? I made an adorner to make adorns for others too, not just for myself) and ended up making a friend.

Be nice to others in the game and it always comes back to you.
    Kraeref likes this.
  15. Gabaron Member

Please merge Russian servers & add toon transfers.
  16. Ucala Well-Known Member

server merges do nothing for pugs.

what you need is more zones to run (and no I don't mean actual number of zones, we have plenty of those).
    but really, there is almost no point to run any zone other than ToV (halls/labs/dom) and maybe fabled HoF.

in CoE it was HE and DC

people eventually choose the best zone for the best rewards. and eventually stop caring cause well, they do the same zone 5000 times.
    Soe just has a bad time at equalizing the items among all the zones giving people a reason to run them. (not saying I could do better)
    other then running the zone if it's the daily/weekly
    Wanic likes this.
  17. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Well if more people wanted to run pugs it would help. It would probably help for current populations too just not as much as people think.

But the itemization problems you laid out is also another reason DF's in other games do well. They slap on a token/reward system that basically yields more or less the same reward for all zones making the actual drops the 'bonus.' So people run whatever zone they want for whatever reason they want. Thus making those 'junk' zones much more bearable.
  18. The Jones Active Member

Sorry for not reading the full thread, but I could care less about server merges. All I want is a cross-server dungeon finder feature for pugs. They have already solved this for battlegrounds so in theory they could copy or reuse some of that code.

I tend to do a lot of soling because it's just a pain to form a group sometimes. Some days it's super fast, other days it takes 30+ minutes to get the pieces in place.
  19. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Cross server DF will never happen in EQ2.
  20. SOE-MOD-02 Member

Please note that date when a thread is created prior to posting within it. I will close this as it was created in 2013. Thank you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.