Mercenary stagnation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Unkel, May 21, 2014.

1. Princeofpaladins Active Member

And I only bought a merc (and reforging and another character slot) because I bought 2 15$ SoE cards each with 500 bonus SC, hoping to be able to buy the expansion. Already had the tradeskill apprentice feature. (Obviously, I'm a gold member). But I discovered, to my dismay, that you can't buy the expansion with SC anymore. Guess I should have looked into that beforehand :). Bought Tears of Veeshan last week though. Soloed this game (I mean before I had a merc) to lvl 77 or 78 without ever joining a guild with any characters. I killed epics for fun, mentored down to the appropriate level (so at least they were green and I could drops), before I had a merc and before I was lvl 90.
  2. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Also, quest givers have disappeared on me before, twice right in the middle of me talking to them. It's only happend like 3 times or so though, and I only had to camp out and log back in to fix the problem.
  3. Princeofpaladins Active Member

I also have the dungeon maker feature. See? I'm a paying customer :)
  4. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Sorry I can't donate blood. :( Well, I could, but that's not a payment option. :)
  5. Rotherian Well-Known Member

P.o.p., the following quoted post is the source that Deveryn cited explaining the reason that the developers probably won't implement your suggestion. Given the tenor of your responses, it is doubtful that you read it by clicking upon the link that Deveryn provided, which implies that someone has to post it here in order to get you to read it.

Given that the quote came from the senior animator on the EQ2 development team, P.o.p., do you now understand how small the probability is that your idea will see implementation any time in the near future?

If not, consider this. For a humanoid model, the major skeleton looks generally like this:

[IMG]

Contrast that with a basic horse model:

[IMG]

In both, the circles that the lines intersect are joints. Also, keep in mind that both the humanoid and the mount models* in EQ2 are considerably more complex than the above pictures. Both the pictures here are for basic models.

Don't even get me started about the poly count differences. Suffice it to say that the more roundish a model is, the more faces** that model has.

* Which include things ranging from horses, to dogs, to pterippi***, to bunnies, to things that look suspiciously like featherless velociraptors.
    ** As in polygon faces, not anatomical faces.
    *** Technically speaking, Pegasus was the proper noun referring to the mythical winged horse from Greek legend, not the correct term for all winged horses. (Kinda like Kleenex tissue and Coca-cola are the brand name of their respective products, not the correct general term referring to tissue paper and colas, respectively.) However, if you use the term pegasi (even though it is an incorrect term) people will generally understand what you mean (just like telling someone to hand you a kleenex from the Puffs box, or a coke from the fridge containing Dr Pepper - people will generally understand).
  6. Estal Well-Known Member

Nope it would not be cool.

Why?

Same reason as to why I Summoners need to stop asking for bigger pets, we have more than enough screen clutter already, try playing a short race and you won't see anything half the time.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I'm not talking down to you like you're a moron. I'm simply trying to get you to understand the facts. I've been around here for 6 years already. (I've paid them hundreds more than you have already, but I'm still at their mercy when it comes to getting stuff implemented that I think might be cool) I'm not saying I know all there is to know, but I know enough about certain things. I've seen this topic come up a few times since 2012, not long after mercs were released. I've paid attention to what the sr. animator has to say about his workload. You can throw whatever amount of money you want at SOE, it's not going to get this project throw into the mix with their development of more zones and characters. When you do get to max level, you WILL care about new zones.

Looking at what you're describing right here, you'd be one of those people who would be impacted by having mounted mercs running all over the place. If you haven't already, it sounds like you need to be talking to tech support. All these crashes sound like a hardware problem on your end.
  8. Princeofpaladins Active Member

I see the point. However, I can have a full group, 6 players, all running around on mounts. How is that any different from me having a merc with a mount? On the low pop server I'm on, I find myself alone in a zone quite often, or with only a few other people whom I almost never see while fighting/questing, etc.
  9. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

A lot of the mercs aren't based on player skeletons. They don't have mount animations.
    Brennin likes this.
  10. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Understood. Well, I wish they could be given mount animations, but I understand you probably have a large work load already.
  11. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Now that we're done with the de-rail about mounts and mercs, can we get back on topic and get an answer to the OP's question about plans to bring mercs up to date for current content.

And talking of mercs are there any plans to resolves the loss of hp problems mercs suffer when summoned, zoned etc. when the mercs are specifically hired by druid classes or was the "fix" to improve their out of combat healing ?
  12. Charlice Well-Known Member

My baby bl would like a bigger duck. I can't see the damn thing lol. Oh .. insert cranky face. :mad:

My summoners are fine though thanks. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, something about mercs. I think we should have a summon merc button. I'm sick of standing around waiting for mine to catch up. Bio maybe?
    Rhodris likes this.
  13. Estal Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I've seen several summoner newbs asking in in game chat how to make their pets larger, its the same ones who think the broker is called auction house and a /tell would be whisper *shudder*.

Fully agree on call merc button, pet classes have it, so why not copy paste the code behind it for mercs?
    Charlice likes this.