Mercenary stagnation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Unkel, May 21, 2014.

1. Unkel New Member

Mercenary's for level 95 content could use an upgrade. With the increase in CC debuff, increased health pools, and mob hit points somewhere in the range of 280 million for a named in fabled Sanctum of Scaleborn, Mercs purchased in a home town do on average 10-20k dps. Mercenaries such as Dolsie, put out around 50k dps. Daeron, about 100k. And finally the 10 year vets around 140-150k. Healing mercs are only worth cures, buffs, and in Stamper's case, verdict. That is if they even make it through a fight. They simply do not have the healing power to keep themselves alive let alone anyone in the group.

Are there any plans on the table to bring mercenaries up to date? If you had 3 mercenaries purchased from a home town, at the gracious allowance of 20k dps, killing a named in Sanctum of Scaleborn with 280 million health would take them approximately 78 minutes.

Also, no Mercenaries exceed the crit chance debuff from any of the level 95 dungeons. As a result it negates crit bonus since they will never crit. This leaves Mercs with just potency and ability mod. Both of those stats are woefully in need of improving.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

In the ToV instances, the mercs get a buff. So they're useful there. I'd guess they aren't giving mercs buffs in the contested zones because they'd rather not have mercs competing with 'real' players for the mobs/loot.
  3. Deago Well-Known Member

Current content: Mercs are fine in solo zones. Group zones wait for next expansion for them to be great in ToV zones.

Need I say why? Rather obvious.

I do say there should be a stat or buff that whenever mercs are not in a current expansion zone that they get the uber boost. Why? ....Why not? At this point in the game do you really see folks wanting to run COE or Velious zones? ...not really lol.

I will take a stab and be optimistic about the new loyalty shop items...maybe a boost potion or new mercs will be there that will own face :p
  4. Estal Well-Known Member

Mercs already got a massive buff when ToV launched, should have seen them in beta when they did like 1K dps in ToV adv solo zones lol.
  5. Princeofpaladins Active Member

I would really like mercs to have mounts. Rather silly to see them chasing me on foot all the time. If I mount a horse, they can mount a horse. If I mount raptor, they can mount one too. Seems rather simple to me.
  6. Princeofpaladins Active Member

We paid 15 extra dollars for them. Sony can spend a few minutes programming that.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

You actually don't want mercs on mounts. You would take a performance hit for every mount you could see. You're also seriously underestimating the amount of work it would take to get a mercenary on a mount, when a lot of the models have never been designed to ride on a mount.

If that's not enough. Here's the senior animator, ttobey saying the same thing.
  8. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I would love to see the list of MMOs you have developed, to have come up with such an estimation.
    Deveryn likes this.
  9. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Yes, I know it would take more than a few minutes to program. I've taught myself some C++, and took C++ classes in college.
  10. Princeofpaladins Active Member

To simplify, a merc could mount a horse if I mount any basic land mount like a horse, warg, or rhino. If I mount anything else, such as a raptor, a wind komodo, or a griffin, they could mount one of those ghostly flying horses (w/out wings). My dwarven templar may drink a lot of his wages, but I'm pretty sure he's fairly wealthy by now :)
  11. Princeofpaladins Active Member

If I have to pay 500 more SC to give my merc a mount, I will.
  12. Deveryn Well-Known Member

C++ has nothing to do with animation.
  13. Princeofpaladins Active Member

I taught myself Maya by doing the tutorials when my friends and I were planning on starting an animation company back in 2004/2005. One of my friends that also tutored me in Maya now works for Blizzard. I know that everything involved in this game takes work. However, Sony is a very wealthy corporation, and they make a lot of money from this game, or they wouldn't let people play for free.
  14. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Anyway, why are people arguing with me about this? Anyone who has a merc knows how cool it would be for them to have mounts.
  15. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I simply told you it's not going to happen and why, quoting source from the man who would be working on the feature. You're the one that's pushing your side of things, like it's going to change anything.

Having a basic knowledge of one program or another is one thing, but you clearly have no understanding of what they work on day-to-day. They're constantly working on new content for everyone to enjoy. They can't just take "a few minutes" out to work on something a handful of people might find "cool" or "immersive".
  16. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Everyone who has a merc would enjoy my idea. It effects gameplay to have to wait for your merc to catch up while you're riding around. Most of fight from our mounts if we're not in a dungeon. Mercs should have had mounts to begin with.
  17. Princeofpaladins Active Member

And stop talking down to me like I'm a moron.
  18. Sudedor Well-Known Member

A faster solution would be to ask for the Devs to give anyone who hires a merc something similar to the "Call Servant" ability that pet classes get. It would call your merc immediately to your side just like it does for Summoners / pet classes. This is the solution that pet classes got when we complained that our pet couldn't keep up.
    Charlice likes this.
  19. Princeofpaladins Active Member

That could work.
  20. Princeofpaladins Active Member

Also, I just started playing this year. I'm not so concerned with new content. I'm more concerned that the already existing content and features are enjoyable and work right. I'd like it if they would spend more time working out some of the constant bugs that I've had to deal with playing this game. Hard crashed several times. Often won't load when I enter my house, have to exit. Chat in the chat window starts scrollling too high, so I have to relog. Or the cursor gets stuck in the chat window and I can't click any hot keys. Short cuts on the keyboard work, but nothing else. Usually camping fixes it, but sometimes I have to exit the game to get it to work right. TAB does not work to fix this problem.