Maximum number of houses?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Juraiya, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a limit on the number of houses a character can own. I think I remember reading a few years back that the limit was 20. Perhaps to most this may seem like quite a few, but my main character has 20 at this point: 17 prestige homes, and 3 regular homes.

Does anyone know if there's an actual limit? If there once, is that limit still in place?
    Dude, Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. iceverything Master of Respawning

I heard it was 20 as well but I have toons with more than 20.
    If there is a limit then Daybreak needs to limit how many the toon can purchase. If I find out I cant access homes I paid real money for due to a housing limit then I would expect a refund for the houses that Daybreak allowed me to purchase when Daybreak KNEW I was at my limit.

Maybe a house counter on each toon would help with this issue?

Heres an idea... Allow us to sell prestige houses we have purchased in the past. I have MANY of the xpan houses that I have no intention of using ever so there they sit, going against my house count! I have "given" several away but in truth they are only TRUSTEE to these houses. I want them to be OWNER and not ME.
    Think of how many ppl we could make happy with this! :)

Also can you find an easy way to get us to remove ourselves from other ppls house access. I dont have enough time to visit every single house Ive ever helped decorate to remove myself from access. Many of these houses have not had their upkeep paid in yrs either which means we cant remove anyone from that door. Its locked isnt it?!
    Maybe you should put a limit on how many houses we can have access to too? :confused:
    Dude, Cyrrena, Juraiya and 1 other person like this.
  3. elflover Well-Known Member

The max number now is 30, wiki hasn't been updated on that. And a way to remove yourself from someones home is too go the door and there's a button with the entrance that says remove access and takes you off that homes list (I don't think rent being paid makes a difference but I haven't had to try that). And no to limit the number of access too..I add myself to alts homes (I know that by default same account/server toons are trustee but I like using the gh portal to jump evil/good homes).
    Dude, Cyrrena, Juraiya and 2 others like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And the stupid GH portal won't acknowledge our Trusteeship of our alts' houses without expressly stating, in "writing," that yes, indeed, we do have the right to be there. :-/

Stupid GH portal. :-/

Uwk
    Juraiya, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  5. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I would have to say no to this. I have 98 characters on my main account on Maj'Dul alone, and because - as Uwk pointed out - you have to make each of your characters specifically a Trustee if you want them to have access via the guild housing portal, I wouldn't want there to be a limit on either the number of characters I can give access to one of my houses, or a limit to the number of houses any given character has access to.

Thank you, @Elflover, for the update. I'm glad to know it has been increased... but it also means that I will eventually reach that limit, at least as long as I keep getting the CE version of each expansion, as well as picking up prestige houses that I really want. I'm already going to hit 21 with the Yun Zi quests this summer, presuming he gives us another house during the final week. I hope they increase that limit again, especially if they want people like me to keep buying houses. :)
  6. elflover Well-Known Member

Yes in the near future with all the xpac homes and all , hope they give us at least another 5 to 10 more for each character. Or it will be alts with new pretty homes and I like hoarding them on my main.
    Dude, Cyrrena, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  7. Faeonara Well-Known Member

When you reach the limit of 30 homes and try to claim or another you will get a message saying you are unable to get another untill you give one up . You can indeed give up any of the homes you have claimed already but don't want to use. If in doubt about your count try getting a basic in room that way you can tell if you have 30 already and don't waste cash on another prestige home
    I got rid of a few claimed ones since a lot of the alts have the same style already so I have room to get another couple of homes on my main character if one comes along that I really really want . :)
    You can reclaim without cost any prestige home have previously owned if you make room for it .
    Dude, Cyrrena, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'm surprised I haven't seen Cyrrena on this thread; I know she's maxed, and is grumpy about the limit. I have to say I don't blame her a bit, even though I usually just do the free ones ('cause I'm cheap, that's why ;->) unless I have a very specific project in mind.

Uwk
    Dude, Juraiya, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Here I am Uwk!!! I hit the 30 house limit over a year ago. They are all prestige. I cannot buy any more and I cannot claim the ones from expansions or from events, like Days of Summer. I can buy the deeds, but I have to give up one I already paid money for to claim another I paid money for. I have already begged them to increase the limit because of this. They could increase the prestige limit and take away my ability to purchase city houses, I already had to relinquish all of them I had. They can check, the majority of my houses are empty, not even 1 item in them so I am not causing server lag by packing all these houses to the gills with tons of items. I have distinct plans for each and every one of them but I still have not mastered enough of JesDyr's Editor or the other editors to get them exactly as I would want them, so they sit vacant while one is used as a practice space while I learn to do what I want to do.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Exactly! I'm not sure why they don't raise that "level cap"; they certainly are with everything else. :-/

If the grand majority of the paying customers don't care one way or another about decorating (other than maybe "stick out a couple of sales crates to unload the stuff I got on raids"), they may or may not have more than one house, or at least maybe one in each of the 3 main cities for their alignment (/raising_paw :oops: [I've been getting better at /claiming my freebies for all my toons]), or have those freebie prestige places waiting for them from the CE expacs, without ever bothering to pick them up.

So, either we're a small minority that won't kill the servers (we promise!) if the "level cap" was raised by another 5 or 10 houses, or as Cy suggested, limit purchasing city houses (with in-game currency, which doesn't put a dime into their server funds for real the way prestige places do); or we're actually a quiet majority of the player base that they really shouldn't irritate too much. ;->

Uwk
    Dude, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  11. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Haha! It's so funny that you hoard HOUSES! Although... I suppose that so do I. Yes, most of mine are from CEs, or from Yun Zi, or are vet awards, but there are about half a dozen (perhaps more) that I've actually purchased. Like you, many of mine are empty (well, mostly empty), but that's more because, well, I suck at decorating. :oops: I love what I see others do, but when I look at my own houses, I mostly draw a huge blank. (Although I own quite a bit of marketplace furniture, and you'd THINK I would have some idea of what I want to do with it. But I don't.)

You know, the funny thing is, you would think they would WANT to raise the cap, so more people would buy houses! That makes them money, doesn't it? And it's pretty much a resource-free item for us to buy, because they reuse zones that already exist in game for most of these, so they probably don't have to spend a huge amount of dev time getting them available for housing.

*scratches head* Uwk, I'm not sure what you meant by your last post. Why would it matter if the houses are purchased with in-game currency?
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I get an idea when I see the house, but I don't have the skill to actually make it happen. I have been learning the various editors for 3 years now. Uwk can tell you, its been a journey. One of my issues was I had one editor and was using the videos for a different one, I didn't realize there was more than one layout editor and became totally confused and frustrated. Ended up downloading both editors and working with both. Then I found where someone had transcribed a couple of the video tutorials into text, and I was able to read the how-to while doing it, that worked so much better for me. Unfortunately, there were only the two. So now I pull up JesDyr's how-to YouTube videos on my iPad while I am in my experiment house and I keep doing it over and over until I understand what he is doing and how it is working.

I know if DBG would actually take some of our suggestions and make them so *sorry for the Jean-Luc* like the Tabbed Depot. It would cut down on what we have in our storage dungeons, banks, vaults, and probably brokers that we are storing. The Tabbed Depot, is a Depot that when you open it, has various Tabs similar to the Wardrobe, there is a Tab for Armor, Weapons, Appearance, Furniture, Cloaks, Plants, Tiles, Building Blocks. Each Tab has X number of slots, but you can either but extra slots from DBG or perhaps like house expanders, they could give us the option to Craft additional tabs that would add X number of slots to each tab, and you could buy additional tabs from DBG. If I had something like this, I could clear out all of my storage dungeons and my brokers.

There are also 11 more prestige houses on the Marketplace that I would like to buy, but I am not going to do it. I am not going to relinquish any to buy more, so that is 11 prestige houses worth of DBCash extra that I will not be buying because I cannot use the deeds. Yes I know I have more than 90 more characters, but that is not the point. Cyrrena is my main and the collector of houses, mounts, and plushies. So I am not going to buy them on another character. I will still buy the expansion, I will claim the house on other characters and be disgruntled that Cyrrena cannot claim hers. And I will continue to ask them to increase the number of prestige houses we can own, especially as they make more of our house items stackable. And with the population shrinking, and with the purges they did last year, we should be able to get at least a 10 house increase.
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

I don't mean to intervene here, but I'm pretty sure you hit 30 wayyyyyyy more than just a year ago.

What's that? Talking about houses? Oh. Never mind. :rolleyes:

14. Merriel Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Cyrena...I prefer to keep houses limited to my brigand carpenter, Daemora. She is my hoarder of all things (what brigand isn't?)

Although I have decorated a few houses belonging to alts, it is because those homes happened to suit their character perfectly and I can't see them being totally homeless, and in one instance, was for a special decorating event in a city rental that Daemora cannot own due to her faction alignment; but for the most part...Daemora owns the majority of my homes, many of them prestige homes from the Marketplace or claims.

She is very close to hitting her 30 count limit and I will not be buying any new prestige homes as long as this limit stays put. I am not going to give up my city rentals in lieu of purchased homes, because I still like these homes too.
  15. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Well, I still suck at decorating, but most of the houses I've bought it's been because I saw them, and went all, "Oh, so pretty!" Like the Grotto, Felwithe, the Astronomer home, the Palace of the Master, and others. I just LOVE the look of those places, even if I have no clue how I could decorate them. I would join one of your exchanges, but I wouldn't feel it would be fair to the one I would be decorating for, since I never have any ideas. :(
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

'Cause if we're using all our possible house slots on houses we can get with mere silver or gold in-game cash -- let's face it: we can get three houses at least, a 2-room (and an actual 3-room, in Qeynos; in Freeport, too?). a 4-room, a 6-room, and a 7-room as well (in Kelethin), per city, plus a range of them in Maj'Dul if you have sufficient faction with one or all of the different groups there, there's a lot less slots to be able to fill with prestige houses bought with real money. :-/

A hypothetical Good toon of mine could do that: have three houses in New Halas, one 2-room, one 4-room, and one 6-room; have four houses in Qeynos (2-room, 3-room, 4-room, 6-room), four houses in Kelethin (2-room, 4-room, 6-room, 7-room), and at least three houses in Maj'Dul (I think; I only have one toon with enough faction there, with only one of the city groups, and she only has one house): a 2-room, 4-room, and 6-room (right? Again, not sure of the housing details there).

If I'm right, that's a total of.....14 houses right there, that could, theoretically, have been replaced by any or all of them being prestige houses.

Uwk
    Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I like transcripts, too. :)

I think what might've helped me, though, strangely enough perhaps, was doing everything via the Notepad Method in the day, before I got into either Sennen's or JesDyr's. At least I can grok what the numbers mean, even if I can't always wrap my head around how to make them dance properly. :-/

For the most part, I just use them as a fancier, faster Notepad. :oops:

And you'd think that us being able to put them in Depots would drastically reduce the amount of server power needed! I remember back in the bad old days (WinXP computer with dial-up, then DSL) when I could easily (well, more easily) zone into a bare house, but my difficulty in getting in went up exponentially with each stick of furniture or other house item out and about, actually on display. I don't think I had nearly as much hindrance when it was all in a Moving Crate ("true" rather than "false" in the Notepad layout).

Wouldn't that also be the case with having stuff in Depots?? Or at least, similarly? :-/

Amen. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I sorta suck at it, in that I really, truly, don't know what to do to make a "normal" house. Seriously. I get weird-willy ideas in my noggin and have to run with them; I don't often abandon ideas, no matter how ludicrous, but I spend a lot of time (too much?) on trying to force them to work ("Er, Uwk'Carpy Onthis'Server, shouldn't there be at least a sofa in here or something...? What the heck does this even mean?" [got that a lot from Niboota... ;->]).

What helps a lot for me is having the more spelled-out ideas the merrier in the book the house owner leaves for the decorator. If you don't need or want a ton of things that are only available on the Marketplace, or are only Mastercrafted, please feel free to dictate what it is you've got in mind to me. :) I relish getting long, written checklists; the ones that scare me the most are the ones that just go, "I like this holiday. Have fun with it! Thanks! :D" (and nothing else) which is a nice sentiment, but it leaves me waaay too much to my own devices... :confused:

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Juraiya and Breanna like this.