Massive changes underway, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-LoreLady, Sep 28, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-IllusiveThoughts Guest

seems to me at the new cap 8s delay bows and 6s delay bows will be ideal
    1.5s @125% with 6s base delay and 2s @ 125% with 8s base delay.
    are there even 6s delay long bows? and isn't sarnak bow 8s delay? or is it 8.5?
  2. ARCHIVED-Balerius Guest

It doesn't cap.
    There is no minimum delay on melee weapons or ranged weapons. Not 1.0 sec. Not 0.8 sec. Not 0.6 sec. There is no minimum.
  3. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

My only thought is "Aiee!" but I'm just leery of changes in general now.
  4. ARCHIVED-TerriBlades Guest

Are you sure about that? I hate to make it sound like im asking for proof of this... but I guess thats just what I want. Where did you see that there isnt a min delay?
  5. ARCHIVED-Balerius Guest

Well, you know that I could simply reply "Where did you see that there was a min delay."
    I could also simply say that my personal testing showed me a long time ago that there was no minimum delay and for me that's better than all of the bogus "common knowledge" that floats around as though it was fact.
    Or, I suppose that I can just give a link.
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/...d=combat&message.id=100167&query.id=0#M100167
  6. ARCHIVED-Ranvarenaya Guest

Here's what worries me about this:

Regardless of how much STR we get from gear, buffs, etc, an equally geared brigand will always have 130 more. Having us both capped as we are now allows us to stay with them. In the new system my understanding will likely be more difficult (if at all possible) for us to cap STR, and brigands will get a damage increase for that 130 str that is currently over the cap and not doing anything. The simple math says that unless something major changes aside from itemization (such as a blanket CA boost, brig nerf, or a trade of stat buffs, etc.), it is very likely that we (as well as assassins for the same reason) will be left in the dust. I'm optimistic that this will be examined in beta to make sure class balance doesn't go completely awry.
  7. ARCHIVED-Balerius Guest

Except that beyond a certain point, the brigand's extra 130 strength will have a progressively decreasing effect on damage output.
    Also, I would expect that the stats on EoF gear will be scaled to take into consideration the higher stat caps. In other words, as an example I would expect to see fabled gear with at least 40-50 strength. SoE might even adjust stats on existing gear as well.
  8. ARCHIVED-TerriBlades Guest

I was going to say this very thing. And before I forget, thanks for the link :)
  9. ARCHIVED-athitchcock Guest

Every expansion so far has had a major combat revamp, why should this one be any different. We are rangers, by now we should know that each expansion means relearning how to play our class. Some will complain, some will applaud, after a few months the dust will settle and we will know where we are.

We are a pendulum class, I'm just hoping that these changes swing us back toward the middle.

Gnaril
  10. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

This is just a thought, but as it is - preds have the highest to hit %age rating in the game currently, and they are boosting the attack skill, the base skills (slash/pierce/ranged), along with str...

So, does this mean that things are going to be a 50/50 auto attack vs CA's? This thought kinda scares me because its taking a step back into EQ1, however.. With this expansion comming out, and eventually they are going to put a usefullness for crafted arrows (or simply putting a heritage that summons t8 ammo) it may yet outballance the CA diffrence between mark, and the 20/30% CA diffrence there already is between rangers/assassins..

The only problem I see again, is any friggen brigand or swash doing 1.5x our damage because of thier double attack.. If double attack boosts there top dps to 1k as it is with 100% haste/dps for the topend rouge.. This is going to turn into 1785 dps for the common brigand in auto attack alone. While assassins and rangers are still doing 1050 max DPS (without t8 ammo)(auto attack DPS not total DPS)

Also, thinking about this some more.. Changing the way int values work, and increasing a wizards chance to hit on a mob.. This will make things for wizards MUCH easier and will allow for wizards to start outdamaging summoners with ease. Currently summoners at 510 only do a small portion of damage themselves "compared" to thier pet. While summoners will continue to do less dps while the stats go up, wizards inturn should be seeing ALOT more.. The only problem I still see with wizards, is the ability to cap that 1070 with ease and still running to the exact same problem they had before.. Lets face it, most wizards have there int at 600ish naturally by now, and getting that up acouple hundred points is going to be easy still..

All in all, my general thoughts is that rouges are goin to get some pretty big nerfing to there double attack ability if there is going to be any ballance between the rouge/sorc/pred/summoner.

I am not calling out nerfs for other classes, or suggesting that these things "are" going to happen.. It is just my speculation on the subject and my thoughts on how these changes will effect DPS classes. Dont send me annoying PM's about how im a nerfcaller yada yada.

Message Edited by LoreLady on 09-30-2006 07:05 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Serventof Wrath Guest

At first look the raise of stat caps sound good. On raids I am always above the current 510 in usually 3 categories and really close in 1 more. By raising the cap it will actually make those numbers mean something. However i didn't see where the devs post of combat changes mentions looking at all those skills that raise skills and stats by a % so that they are more useful in the new stat cap system. Also again they are making big changes to the combat system and not changing how certain buffs and procs only work off melee and not ranged attacks.
    I guess while it looks good on the surface there seems to be a lot more they could/should do before it goes live and hopefully with EoF we will see some of it.
  12. ARCHIVED-TerriBlades Guest

Why would rogues need to suffer from any sort of nerfing? The 1K-1.5K they put out is still lower then what most Assassins, Wizards and Warlocks can do. The only real problem with the classes listed in your post would be Rangers, and the Summoners. Summoners can easily hit T1 DPS fairly consistently, while most Rangers are struggling to be near the top of T2 DPS.
    I'd say that my biggest fear with the changes is that its just gonig to widen the gap between Rangers and Assassins at max haste. I could be wrong on the numbers, but if someone is DWing weapons with 1.2 delays, wouldnt that put them about 0.3sec delay? or roughly 6 swings per second? Factor in a few procs, and the gap is going to be huge. I donno, but I hope Im wrong somewheres.
  13. ARCHIVED-Sapperlight Guest

My gut feeling is that the changes will only accentuate the gap between assassins, mages, and us. The assassin (and rogue, for that matter) issues have been discussed above, but seeing that mages will now suffer fewer one shot deaths, they will in theory be able to focus even less on agro management and attempt to increase their dps even more (if that's possible). The same can be said of us; however, I find that I don't get nearly as many one shot deaths as the mages I raid with, so it will be a matter of scale.
    On the upside, more attention will need to be made to group composition since buffs over the cap are now beneficial.
  14. ARCHIVED-Carnagh Guest

Thankyou *hug*
  15. ARCHIVED-Ethyarion Guest

I'm wary of these changes. Like others I fear it will only widen the disparity that we already witness.

Ulitmately it remains to be seen what the Ranger class gets from EoF in the way of any CA upgrades (possibly the ancient teachings), Class specific AA and any other retuning that may hopefully return us to where we need to be.

My confidence in SoE and their inclination and competence to do this however remains somewhat low.
  16. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Again this is all speculation - do not take anything I say in fact..

Summoners are split two ways, and the damage the pet does will not increase by much.. The pet will be able to resist more, and not be as likely to get oneshotted..

The owner - his damage will increase by two fold, but since the pet tends to currently be 2/3's of the summoners total dps.. This will make a 1/4 total increase in damage for the pet/summoner together

Rouges on the other hand are a diffrent story..They maintain 1.5k dps through aa's - primarly being auto attack. The way auto attack is going to work - the cap in wich dps/haste is calculated is going to be more than double.. (250% total actuall) - the amount of damage the weapon will be able to do (base) is going to increase from 1 per level to 1.5 per level.. While rangers will see these benifits - double this for rouges/guardians/bezerkers and then ask yourself - where is the dps going to be in these classes? and where are the dps going to be for rangers?

As for rangers/assassins go.. I really dont know how this is going to be put into play - its going to be alot easier for an assassin to use his/her mark, as it is going to be to be able for a ranger to use his/her offensive proc..

Again - its just the way I see this, all these statements are in opinion.. I have no real reference to perdictions, the only thing I can really do is wait and see.
  17. ARCHIVED-Sirlutt Guest

I'm gonna wait till you've had time to crunch the numbers and min/max it for me and tell me the real story.
  18. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

How about this, I will crunch the numbers on here for you.. If you get all my calculus, physics, elec theroy, math done for me? But I want all these done first, and then taught a clear understanding in all of them :p
  19. ARCHIVED-xMiLoSiSx Guest

I'm just not going to speculate, and roll with the punches when they hit.

Just as I always have.
  20. ARCHIVED-TwistedFaith Guest

I dont see much in the way of helping rangers specifically out in there honestly.

I hope our AA lines are significant enough to make up for what I see as a growing inbalance between rogues and assasins over the ranger class.

Of course a ranger can put out some t1 dps, but in my opinion the ranger class should not be balanced around a ranger with a 110 dmg rating bow and using those summoned tier 8 arrows.

As for the haste/dps stat increase, dps modifiers are VERY difficult to find. Assasins are in the lucky position where they are already at something like 60% dps mod so they dont have to worry over this fact so much.