long time builder, first time poster

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jems, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Jems Member

Hello all!

I'm a big housing / decor fan, too many projects to mention. But I wanted to highlight one that I am particularly proud of, but also looking for ideas.

**name change** Guildhall door gardens- massive home on the skyfire server. I'm super happy with it, except for the back bedroom and one wall of the side office.

I feel like there are too many patterns, but when I go full white marble it also feels too sterile and angular.

Any thoughts or suggestions anyone could share?

I am posting on my phone so I don't have any screenshots of videos, unfortunately, but I'd be happy for people to take a look.
  2. Jems Member

hm. Been looking at some of the other houses and now wish I could delete this post lol. I'm an absolute newbie and very basic compared to many of the others!!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  3. elflover Well-Known Member

Its all good we all started somewhere...usualy basic and gradually work the way up.
  4. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I started very basic. When I started placing stuff on the shelves of bookcases, I thought I was doing good. Each time I would do a new house I would try something new. I see lots and lots of houses and I learn from even basic level houses.

Just keep having fun. Please leave your Waterfall Gardens available on Skyfire and I will do a video tour of it. If you don't want a video just let me know. Bit behind on doing videos again but I am going to try to do two tours every week. Probably be 3-5 weeks before I get to it (I don't know where my list is to check) depending on if I can avoid getting sick.
  5. Xalandra Well-Known Member

I think your home is off to a great start and look forward to seeing it once completed! It was nice chatting with you a bit yesterday morning when I toured your home. Keep up the good work and just like what was mentioned before everyone has to start from somewhere ;)
  6. Jems Member

That would be amazing! I'd love that! Thank you :) 3-5 weeks is no problem. Hopefully I can fix the back bedroom problem by then. You are amazing!! Also, please please stay healthy! That is the most important above all else!

And thank you everyone for the boosts of confidence. I am definitely no pro, but I absolutely love the decorative aspect of EQ2. Big shout out to the devs for this part of the game!!
  7. Jems Member

Thank you again, Xalandra! It was a pleasure to chat with you and show you the place yesterday! I've made some changes since you were in. Those little waterfalls were just the beginning!!
  8. Perrigrin Well-Known Member

I made a toon on Skyfire so I could go see. The zone in area was gorgeous. I love your use of the big vespyr trees, and kind of made them connect off the edges of the platforms. For the back bedroom and the white marble walls (nice reskin btw) it looks nice and clean. In the one room I saw some blue-ish light torches and that gave the white marble a different feel so maybe try something like that? I liked your use of the waterfalls and how you had some horizontally placed like rivers. That house is SO huge, I've not attempted a build in one yet. I like what you've done so far, keep at it!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Breanna and Jems like this.
  9. Jems Member

Thank you!! I'll definitely give that a try for the back bed room. It's really stumping me, so I'll start again with the lighting and go from there.

Thanks again for the compliments, and thank you for checking it out!!!
  10. elflover Well-Known Member

I thought i was losing it when they said they visited on skyfire to go see...im not blind but what house where? Unless there was a private message of where unless its not open atm?
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Jems Member

It is still up :) in the massive house list as "Waterfall Gardens" :) currently only easily see-able in the recently published list since I have taken it down a couple if times to fix the back.
  12. elflover Well-Known Member

Ah ok cool Ill check it out when i log in later
    Breanna, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Jems like this.
  13. elflover Well-Known Member

Ok went to look, Its nice love all the trees...Now Im trying to give tips not be mean promise. There is 2 ways to avoid shimmers in your grass 1. use layout editor (theres a link for it in the decorator resource guide thread, I personally just jesdyrs) 2. When placing every other one should be slightly larger/smaller than the next by holding item press shift and scroll your mouse wheel up/down , be careful and slowly do this for a single slight adjustment. For even smaller increments press shift+alt and use mouse wheel. For your waterfall/river if you place a blue tile underneath it like stone of adoration (from eday crafting recipes) or blue metalic tile would give a nice effect or even using a granite tile. But so far so good keep going! Oh and if you didnt know eq2furniture.com is your friend for finding items and where they come from.
  14. Jems Member

No worries, I appreciate the tips!! I tried to use the layout editor once, but i just couldn't figure it out... back when you had to type in coordinates, and i just couldn't get it. Is it still like that?

And I was debating that for the waterfall / river but was undecided :) I'll give it a try and see wih your feedback now :)

Thank you VERY much for coming to check it out! No worries about giving feedback, I appreciate it, and it's the best way to fine tune things for sure :D ♡♡♡
  15. elflover Well-Known Member

Its still coordinates. I took me some time in a house that was empty but a few items to learn it. And the waterfall stuff is fun and its always fun playing with different items to get a different look. And im my city of mist i only built in the center area and blocked off those side building areas. I like how you put little rooms in there.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

There are other layout editing methods out there, including Sennen's and even the no-frills at all (seriously!) Notepad Method. I recommend that last one mainly if you're a massive fan of number crunching, but it does go over the definitions of the numbers themselves. ;->

But Sennen's does almost everything that JesDyr's does, with the exception of being able to quickly and easily move things on the major diagonals: NW/SE/NE/SW, rather than just N/W/S/E, and the brilliant "Copy Location Info" and "Paste Location Info." Sennen's does have a much gentler learning curve, imho, and the best thing about it, imho, is that you can have the house open, save the layout, pop right over to the open layout file in Sennen's, and it'll go, "Hello, dear user; I've seen that you've changed some things in the layout. Wouldst thou care for me to adjust myself accordingly?" and you can go, "Why yes, dear program; even though you changed in mid-sentence to Early Modern English, please go ahead and account for the changes now, thank you." rather than wading through all the WITH, WITHOUT, WORKING, PLAYING, APPROBATIONING, etc. sort of mid-range files. When I need something from JesDyr's that Sennen's can't do for me, I'll close my file in Sennen's and hop over to JesDyr's to open it with; I do have both, and anyone who has Win7 or earlier has Notepad. :)

Uwk
    Breanna and Jems like this.
  17. Jems Member

Thanks Uwk! I will check it out. Attempted to do all the grass corrections manually last night and even the best case scenario of fixing it is still pretty awful. So hopefully this will work better :)
  18. elflover Well-Known Member

HAHAHA omg Almost spilt the coffee! I dont use the with/without junk I place an individual tile save layout find it (stand on it in game and type /loc) and make a group with it to layout for tiling so much easier and then do the copy and move the direction I want. All the extra tiles for the tiling work stay in the moving crate, you save the group (I normaly overwrite a saved layout thats specail for this move in case i mess up) and then load that saved file and it will only load the group leaving the rest of the house alone. Never tried Sennen's or notepad. Im sure just as easy to use.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jems and Breanna like this.
  19. elflover Well-Known Member

Since your on skyfire you can always send me a tell if you would like any help with tiling as long as its not a guild hall...they dont follow the nesw.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jems and Breanna like this.
  20. Jems Member

Thanks! I will take you up on that sometime, but probably not super soon. I am switching to faction / coin recipe grinds from a change of pace for a little while.

Just wanted to note I changed the house name though - "Guildhall door Gardens" now. The Guildhall door is closer than even in the one room one that is so high on the listings, and maybe people want a change of pace. So I'll see if it gets it any more looks. :)