long boring crafting

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-wildberrymojito, Aug 28, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-wildberrymojito Guest

Is there a reason for crafting to be so long and boring?? When you are level 50 or 60 ect, there are few potions to help speed it along. Could we have more and better potions like the ones that let you go along at 100 or 125. The 20 and 25 % just don't help. Thanks
  2. ARCHIVED-Lizabethan Guest

Crafting used to be way more tedious around launch - if anything, I look back in amazement and wonder how I ever tradeskilled back then! Today there are many ways to make this process more fun and break it up a bit. The questlines every 5-10 levels have helped a ton, combined with the ability to use potions or take advantage of the frequent double xp weekends. At level 50, you can also do group crafting instances to have a good time with your friends and also not have to harvest those mats all over the world. The advent of the guild harvesting box and ponies made crafting as a whole much easier, too.
    My advice is to let your vitality come back up and spend a few days taking a break every so often. That's usually why it's so "long and boring" for people, because they're rushing and rushing to powerlevel it in a week and are burning themselves out! It really has nothing to do with potions being available; it's just leveling in a smarter way.
  3. ARCHIVED-SlashnGut Guest

Sorry to say this but leveling a crafter is exceedingly easy at this point. If you think it is long and boring now you should have been around back when you had to make materials to make a final product. Many of the components had to be made by other crafting classes so you either had to have other classes yourself that could make them or buy them from others. You don't know how easy you have it now compared to back then lol.
  4. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

The second year was better. Combines still had subcombines, but you could do all the subcombines needed by your class, and get first-time discovery. I enjoyed it because I'm overly detail oriented, but I admit the subcombines were a little out of hand, especially if you just wanted to make a specific item for someone.
    Now, the classes are balanced for leveling so that nobody has more first-time xp, and everyone has to do the same writs over and over. It's more fair, more rewarding, less confusing. But calling it boring is ... justified. But long and boring? No way -- it's too fast and easy to level crafting, so people who don't want to craft try to force themselves through it anyway.
    I agree completely with Lizabethan's second paragraph. Don't burn yourself out and then wonder why it feels tedious!
  5. ARCHIVED-bks6721 Guest

wildberrymojito wrote:
    are you doing rush orders? The xp for them was given a HUGE boost a while ago. Leveling has never been faster than it is now.
  6. ARCHIVED-Orpheus666 Guest

I miss the good ole days when the stove and keg as well as the forge had more kills then players.
  7. ARCHIVED-Filly67 Guest

Geez, there's supposed to be some time investment involved. Too easy, which it really is easy, means not worth doing it. There are rush orders, quests, etc... plenty to do.
    Many like me have multiple crafters, I have 17 tradeskillers over half max level and we all made it through this just fine. Hang in there it will be ok.
  8. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

Lizabethan wrote:
    I agree with this.
    Crafting is definately not long, at least not to the eyes of us who were around to craft at launch. *mutters about making stupid tea & trail mix*. It certainly shouldn't be taking too terribly long if you are doing crafting writs. If you are just grinding out combines, then I'm afraid you've gone about it the wrong way & that's why it's so long & boring.
    Like Liz said, if you are trying to grind it all right away, you are just asking to burn out.
    Do the crafting questlines, take some time out to kill some stuff & let your crafting vitality build back up. If you don't like to adventure, then go play another crafter. Anything really to get you away from the crafting table for a little while. I've been known to rotate crafters while leveling them up when I ran out of vitality.
  9. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

It is long and boring. Griding writs even the rush ones is NOT FUN - IT IS BORING. There are not that many quests to do. Even using XP potions it still takes a long time.
    Losing the first time Bonus to me really hurt tradskills - it was a nerf and took a lot of the fun out of it. I wish they would put the first time Bonus back in instead of forcing people into WRITS - WRITS ARE NOT FUN. Even if they triple the xp they would still not be fun - they are A GRIND>
  10. ARCHIVED-Deveryn Guest

It was worse when the first time bonuses were in effect because they were horribly imbalanced. If you weren't a scholar, you had a rough time and had to do a lot more writs than you do now. Crafting is a grind either way. It's really more of a matter of pacing yourself. Too many people are in such a huge rush for nothing.
  11. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

Life is NOT fair of Balanced why should TS be any difference?? Besides now TS of all professions have many more recipes than earlier so scholars no longer have that great an advantage in first time bonus.
    They should bring back the first time Bonus -- or quadruple the rush writ XP so that you can do one level per rush writ.
  12. ARCHIVED-Deveryn Guest

Maroger wrote:
    You've been at this for a while (at least a couple years now). It's time to accept the current situation and move on because you're not going to get them to change it back.
  13. ARCHIVED-bluja000 Guest

The more crafters you get to level 90, the faster the writs become. Currently, with 10 level 90+, I do 2-3 writs per level, and that's with no vitality or xp potions. With them, of course, it goes even faster. I don't bother, it's not worth wasting the potions on crafting. And I did level several crafters strictly through writs, one specifically to level up our guild.
    Yes, crafting can be a bit boring, but there are ways to break up the monopoly. You can re-watch a movie that you enjoyed, but didn't have to dedicate all your attention to. You could listen to music. There are crafting quests for many of the tiers. They might not give you as much xp as the writs, but they have interesting storylines and can provide you with some nice rewards. There are also the options to make items that sell on broker each tier. I know I've gone and made some consumables every tier, getting a level before going back to my writs. This actually netted me a bit of cash I otherwise wouldn't have gotten, simply because I was one of the few making those items. Oh, and don't forget, the Qho harvest quests net you crafting xp.
    As far as the pristine bonus, yeah, it's kinda sad to see it go away. However, I'd much rather do the writs and get a larger cash reward, as well as status and xp. With the pristine bonus, I ended up making one of everything and, just like half the other crafters, competed desperately with everyone to try to sell that one item on broker for more than my fuel costs. It was rather pathetic to see 15+ pages full of 2 of each food and drink, and hardly any complete stacks. And of course, even the scholars didn't benefit that much, because they couldn't easily sell their apprentice spells. Who wants an apprentice spell if they can spend just a little more and get a marked improvement with an adept?
    Oh, and that tea and trail mix remark made me laugh. I remember having to either make my own grey recipe (NO xp at all) chocolate bars, or paying someone to make them for me, JUST so I could make the priests and mages their int/wis drinks/food. That was THE most annoying part of being an early provie, the fact that you either ground out a buttload of chocolate bars when they were worth xp for later, or you ended up having to make them (or farm them out and PAY for them for that buttload) just for that valuable food/drink. Oh, and remember losing the food/drink buff if you died? Nobody wanted to buy the long term drinks/food until they changed that... Oh god, the memories, the horror...
  14. ARCHIVED-Twyxx Guest

Crafting in this game has always been incredibly boring no matter and is just a time sink. Compare it to the crafting in pretty much any other game and you'll see how hideous it is. SWG's system was the best I've seen. Swtor and Gw2's crafting isn't anything special, but at least it doesn't tie you to the crafting table for hours playing whack-a-mole.
  15. ARCHIVED-Drupal Guest

It's totally boring and not interesting. You get to click 6 buttons with different icons and they give you 6 crafting quests per expansion. What's there not to like ?
  16. ARCHIVED-Mermut Guest

If you don't like crafting... don't do it.
    It could be more interesting, yes. It could also be even more boring. I'm glad it's at least marginally interactive and failures are based on player input (or lack of it) not just a random number generator.
  17. ARCHIVED-Deveryn Guest

Twyxx wrote:
    That's funny. I find this to be one of the better crafting systems. It can be a little tedious at times, but it's certainly not one of the worst. It's the only one I've seen where actual improvements have been made and you don't have to slag through endless amounts of mob farming to get anything done.
    I wouldn't call SWG's the best, at least when you look at the big picture and how horribly they messed up resource gathering at launch. Now the game is long dead, so it doesn't even matter. I can't speak for other more recent MMOs because frankly they're all the same and very few have much to do after you hit the end, especially where tradeskills are concerned. It's like they throw in some insta-click combos and leave it at that.
  18. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Mermut wrote:
    The crafting system is perty horrible. When people talk about crafting just because they want to craft they usually mention something about wanting to relax or lulling themselves to sleep. Nobody comes home from a hard day at work looking forward to grinding 80 stacks of arrows!
    That said I can't imagine dev making any major changes to the system. Making individual combines go faster doesn't make the process less tedius. It just means you can make more before you get sick of crafting.
  19. ARCHIVED-Mermut Guest

Meirril wrote:
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think the crafting system is horrible. I haven't found one I like better. Of course it's a little bit boring.. doing anything over and over is boring. That's why I also get bored with adventure grinding. It's also why I mix things up. Quests, rush orders harvesting for tradeskill, dungeons, quests, grouping for adventuring.
  20. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

Twyxx wrote:
    No GW2 has you out slaughtering 1000's of mobs to get the blue crafting materials you need for crafting. /wrist
    I personally liked Swtor's crafting system.