Let me choose dusts when crafting older recipes.

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Wurm, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Wurm Well-Known Member

Other guildies are going to get annoyed when I use up all the rare roots making potions that used to use dusts and I'd like at least the option to get rid of the dusts I still have.

For example Acerbic Elixir of Fortitude (level 91). Used to use dusts, now takes Bayan roots. Let us choose what we want to use in the TS table menu dust or root. At the least for the old recipes.

And next time when you have such bright ideas, how about coming in here and talking with your players first?
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It sounds like your guildies don't like to harvest much. Perhaps if they did so, this wouldn't be a problem.
  3. Meirril Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at existing recipes for alchemists because nobody has brought this up as an issue before. But if what the OP said is true then going from an existing byproduct to a rare material is a huge change. When recipes have been altered before the old materials were allowed to be used in the new recipes. Eventually the supply of the old materials would dry up. I'm not sure if the new recipes have that functionality or not since I haven't investigated myself.

But this is still a major change and it should of been documented in the update notes. Obviously it wasn't or it would of been talked about sooner.

Still, attacking the OP and his guild because the recipe changed is bad form. That is far more petty and crass than what I expect from you Deveryn. Defend the change on its own merits. Say that there is a glut of rare roots in t10 and below and that this will help to dry up that supply. Say that dusts are difficult to come by in lower tiers and roots are often a much cheaper alternative. Make the argument of a well informed crafter, not just a snide comment.
  4. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The drop rate on rare roots hasn't gone down any. Again, we're only 2 weeks into the expansion and we have complaints about supply levels. There aren't many reasons for there to be a short supply of rare roots in a particular situation. Let's not pretend like this kind of thing doesn't happen.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

The recipes used to use dusts from crafting Expert spells. So instead of a rare component (gem/loam) making ab expert spell AND TWO poisons, a rare component (root) now makes just ONE poison.

Sense. This makes none.
    Sambril, Tkia, Mermut and 3 others like this.
  6. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Roots have been plentiful for quite some time and they remain plentiful. As I've said elsewhere, it makes more sense to have these poisons made from a readily-available resource than it is to have it behind something so limited as experts. People are only making so many at a time and they still have to go out and get the rares to make them. It's easy enough to run out there and grab some roots. People will be more than happy to run out there and get them for a bit of cash. How does cutting out a step not make sense?
  7. Loredena Active Member

Deveryn, I often agree with you, but this time I'm afraid I'm going to have to suggest you go back and reread. The OP was not complaining about new receipes; he was pointing out that prior tier recipes have changed to use a root instead of dust. He has dust, and now it isn't being used. He likely wouldn't have been so annoyed if the recipes at least used up the dust he already has!

And yes, you were unnecessarily snarky.
    Mermut, Quillyne and Feldon like this.
  8. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I did misread. That doesn't change my view on gathering the items in question. Something like this should have been mentioned somewhere.
  9. Meirril Well-Known Member

I'm in game now. I don't see any evidence of this change. Every recipe I've looked at from 11-95 asks for dust, not rare roots. Unless the OP can come back and say what recipe he is specifically talking about I think this thread has no merit.
    Deveryn likes this.
  10. Loredena Active Member

"Acerbic Elixir of Fortitude (level 91). Used to use dusts, now takes Bayan roots" is the one the OP specified. I'll ask my husband to check on his alchy too.
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I'm annoyed and amused at the same time here. There's a nice bit of misinformation here.

A quick fact check over in EQ2U shows this is a draconic recipe, which has taken roots to make for quite some time now. Here it is listed on EQ2Traders also showing Banyan root as the rare in those recipes. I link the EQ2 Traders article, so you don't think census data changed and affected the search result. At the bottom of that link you will see Niami hasn't touched the article in 2 years.

Created: 2012-04-14 10:19:41
    Last Modified By: Niami Denmother
    Last Modified on: 2012-05-25 10:11:15

and you wonder why there's snark in the first place
    Ahupu likes this.
  12. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Heh don't be ashamed of it Deveryn, in this case it was warranted. But then I jump easily to snark.

...Jumping the snark? Hmmm there may be a new creature and quest come Bristlebane day.
    Deveryn likes this.
  13. Ragna Well-Known Member

I hate to rain on a "sky is falling" thread but ...

"Acerbic" recipes (from the TS apprentices) always needed a rare root. "Savant" recipes (from Adv. Alchy books) were the one asking for dusts and they still do.
    Deveryn likes this.
  14. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I'm not ashamed of that. I am only ashamed that I briefly fell for the deception and started to believe some major change was actually slipped in without notice. I'm also a bit disappointed because there will never be an apology. Of course, that's all the more reason for me to savor my victories and keep pushing for what's actually right. ;)
  15. Wurm Well-Known Member

The problem is.. and I'm trying to be polite, is I have / had all the dust I need to make the potions I need for the next two years. This was an unwanted change that they dropped on us without discussing it with us. I'm willing to deal with it from T11 on forwards, but NOT with recipes I already scribed for mats I already have in my bags.

*edit* Pretty sure it was the mighty fortitude potions that needed the root.
  16. Ynnek Well-Known Member

[edit: hmm.. lemme double check something]
  17. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I'm trying to be polite as well, but you make it very difficult, especially with your normal tone towards others. I referenced material with solid proof to the contrary of your claim, yet here you are still in denial, trying to lump it into this brand new tier of content. The only change that has ever possibly been made to those draconic recipes is the removal of the heroic / raid drops as mats, but that's likely to be something that happened in beta. The bottom line is you misread and misremembered. Case closed.
  18. Wurm Well-Known Member

Hurry up the edit button is going to grey out!
    OK I checked the mighty and the acerbic both use roots they are one level apart, so I now no longer know which one is which.
  19. Wurm Well-Known Member

I don't know what tone you are talking about Dev, you reading some of how you normally come across onto me perhaps?
  20. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Sorry, I may have wandered off. The perils of having an internet discussion on Thanksgiving. There's always the chance you could be outranked by a turkey.

Both of the potions in question are TS Apprentice potions. The Mighty potions come from Deshniak (The Solo Apprentice), the Acerbic potions come from Yelnar (The Raid Apprentice). Hence the similarities, and differences.

When introduced:

Mighty required: 1 banyan root, 1 wurm tongue, 1 wyvern stinger, 1 bone golem shard
    Acerbic required: 1 banyan root, 1 prime wurm tongue, 1 prime wyvern stinger, 1 prime bone golem shard
    ... and created 100 potions per combine.

They were then changed on May 16, 2013 with the following patch notes:

Might Elixirs no longer use dropped components and use common materials instead. Completing a combine now rewards 1/5th as many elixirs.
    Acerbic Elixirs no longer use dropped components and use common materials instead. Completing a combine now rewards 1/10th as many elixirs.

This confused many people, as people wouldn't assume a banyan root was a 'common material' - but for the sake of this change, it was. After this change:

Mighty required: 1 banyan root + some common harvests
    Acerbic required: 1 banyan root + some common harvests
    ... and created 10 potions per combine.
    ... [edit: 10 for Acerbic, 20 for Mighty]

And they have stayed that way ever since. I checked my logs from a couple months back, when I did a round of Acerbics, and they indeed required banyan roots at that time.
    Dulcenia likes this.