Knights of Truth/Order of Marr

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-pookie9981, Nov 5, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Alas, I fear I must agree.
    When they took the model for Befallen and modified it to become Stormhold, they pretty much made a 'new' model for Befallen problematic.
    Not so with Lionheart though.
    Eventually we will hear more of this Citadel--I can feel it.
    8 Virtues of Marr; interesting.
    Certainly not;
    Compassion
    Honesty
    Honor
    Humility
    Justice
    Sacrifice
    Spirituality
    Valor.
    But perhaps not too far off: (7 virtues, 7 deadly sins etc)
    I ran a quest in EQ live for nearly three years based on the old 'Quest of the Avatar' (updated for Norrath of course).
    I await these revelations on the edge of my seat. Hopefully they are not slumbering in a lore vault somewhere, but have been taken out and dusted off, in anticipation of a revelation.
  2. ARCHIVED-teddyboy420 Guest

DreamerCloud9 wrote:
    Believe me, I know the story of Stormhold, or the one they made up to cover the fact that Stormhold actually IS Befallen just uprooted from the Commonlands and dropped into Antonica for the sake of progression continuity. I didn't want to get into all of that here though.

But I don't believe there has been any solid lore about Befallen except the whole x-cross w/ Stormhold, but that's where it ended no? All we know is that the BBC was taken from Befallen and the curse that affected Befallen came down upon Stormhold and that's why there are such similarities. So, in terms
    of in-game lore, Befallen should still be out there somewhere and there's no reason it couldn't be found someday. And the return of the Order of Marr would be the perfect time, IMO, to bring it back b/c of the history the place holds for that order.

I'm not very hopeful we'll ever see Befallen again b/c of the situation, but I still retain a sliver of hope that we may someday walk it's halls again. I agree though Mary, we are much more likely to walk the halls of Lionheart Castle then we are those of Befallen. And I remember the Temple of Marr and the Hall of Truth being such beautiful places back in the day, before Lucan drove the Priests and Paladins of Marr away, and I am sure that Lionheart Castle will not disappoint in that regard.
  3. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Wasn't Lucan more or less left in charge in Freeport while the Knights of Truth, and the Clerics of Erollisi Marr were in Faydwer during the Crusade of Tears?
    I am certain I remember that as official lore, that was later expanded upon in the EQ pen and paper RPG.
    It was because there was a power vaccum, and the city was under-defended, that enabled Lucan to form the Freeport Militia, and effectively sieze de-facto control over large portions of the city, so that when the Orders finally returned to Freeport from their Faydwer expedition, they had to maintain an uneasy power sharing arrangement with the now entrenched Lucan and his militia.
    It was also during this absence that Lucan fell from grace as a Paladin of Marr, and though I am certain the circumstances of that occurance have been told before, at the moment they are not right at hand, so I can't recall exactly what transpired.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

Yes, Lucan, street rat turned Knight of Truth, was left in charge of the remaining knights when the knights and priests went to faydwer. during that time, Lucan did do a decent job at first of managing the city, and he was liked. under the guise of safety, Lucan hired outside mercs into service, and formed the Freeport Militia. Things started to go downhill a bit there. the militia wasn't as...prudent, as the Knights were, though there were no major problems. one of the knights under lucan's control at the time had questioned/argued/called Lucan out on his hiring of outside mercenaries.

Lucan killed him, and for that, Mithaniel stripped him of his paladin powers. things got a little worse not overly much but enough to know that Lucan certainly wasn't acting knightly in his dealings. when the Crusade was over in Faydwer, the Knights of Truth came back and asked for the city to be turned back over to them. Lucan refused, and used his Militia as his fighting force against the Knights, and drove them into North Freeport.

until sometime later, East and West Freeport were controled by Lucan, who's corrupt guard and other dealings had a vice grip on the city, while the Knights kept control in north freeport probably keeping it as close to the way it used to be until Lucan's coup.
  5. ARCHIVED-Jedi_Knight_Jr Guest

DreamerCloud9 wrote:
    Correct!
  6. ARCHIVED-pookie9981 Guest

Has anyone discovered anymore Order of Marr lore lately, been out of the loop
  7. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Not new perhaps, but often overlooked:
    From Bootstrutter's Guide to the Commonlands:
    The Lonely Tower:
    The Lonely Tower is nothing but the ruins of a once mighty tower of the Knights of Marr, the original defenders of Freeport. It rests beyond the walls of Freeport and to the south near the great falls, the Wall of Quisalis. This tower is far from militia watch is known to be a gathering point for illicit activities, the bandits never appreciating the grand engineering of the Knights of Marr that has stood longer than the walls of Freeport
    Valor's End:
    Valor's End is the resting place of four 'Cavalier' statues. These were some of the first statues ever commissioned to the legendary artist, C.M. Brushwuttle. It is said that only one of these statues actually existed here while the others were dragged with great effort and secrecy to this location. Why? Speculation has arisen that this may be the exact location of the former Temple of Marr, razed by the destructive wrath of the Overlord over 100 quatrains ago. Valor's End must surely be a sanctum to the righteous.
    The Wall of Taros:
    The Wall of Taros is one of the most ancient monuments that can be found in the Commonlands. Built ages ago in the Age of Enlightenment by the Order of Marr's Fist the wall once proudly ran the entirety of the midsection of the region, defending against the hostile eastern borderland. It was built to assist the knights in either defending the land or as I theorize, lay claim to this territory. It was named after the High Lord William Taros and stood proudly until the end of the age when the Order of Marr's Fist vanished from existence. Ruins of the great wall can be found just west of Lucan's Mount.
    The Ruins of Val 'Marr:
    The Ruins of Val 'Marr are all that is left of Castle Val 'Marr, built during the Age of Enlightenment to house the various orders of Erollisi and Mithaniel Marr disciples. From this castle sprang the Church of the Marr Twins, The Order of Marr's Fist and others. Much of the ruins has been stripped for it's resources, but you can still see the shape of the once mighty nest of valor. A new addition has been the 'Cavalier' statue that has been dragged here by knights no doubt who consider this to be a most sacred place bordering the dark city of Freeport.
    The Ring of Nature:
    The Ring of Nature is a sight I have seen in many of my journeys. They are a grand sight that speak of the druid nations of the past. Great stone monoliths set in a circle in ages long forgotten eight of which carrying the runes of nature. What is most puzzling is that these rings were meant to rest within the greater forests of Norrath, those that sprang from the roots of Tunarbos. Was there once a great forest here or did the ancient Elddar Forest stretch farther north than recorded?
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    The Survivors:
    Cast adrfit and left leaderless after Lucan's betrayal, exile and death scattered the loyal followers.
    The fractured Order split into different groups, as refugees followed separate paths away from the purges.
    The outpost at Tearfall remained, but was totally cut off from the rest of the Order.
    Of those survivors from Freeport, one group apparently headed south toward Befallen [remember that Befallen, (no one seems to know it's original name), was the major out post for the Order of Marr's Fist after the fall of Ardatheum and before the arrival of Gynok Moltar and the curse of Opalla] (I believe Vhalen made a cryptic reference to this somewhere)

Most headed west though seeking to find succor at the castle of Val 'Marr, but the castle was found to be an unrepairable ruin haunted by the restless spirts of the dead. The same was true of Taros' Wall, and both were under the control of the militia.
    And so the exodus continued west.
    Before leaving the Commonlands, another small group broke off and headed north into Nektulos. (where their camp is located today). The remainder continued west into Kithicor, where the survivors split once again; one group, the largest, continued west toward Qeynos, and the other turned north where they found safety in the north Kithicor foothills of the Serpent's Spine. (This *may* be the group that established Castle Lionheart and the Village of Marr--that's my guess anyhow--but I doubt we will ever find out)

Of those that headed south from Freeport, nothing is known.

Eventually, the remnants of the Knights and Sisters reached Qeynos where they found shelter.

Slowly, over the decades, the Order of Marr reformed in the saftey of the lands around Qeynos; their focus on rebuilding and recovery.
    The Rending forever isolated these separate factions though, and many of them simply vanished. Whether we will eventually learn the fate of each group is unknown, but doubtful.
  8. ARCHIVED-pookie9981 Guest

Been out of the loop for a while any new updates on the Order of Marr seams like since Vhalen left things died for this lore. Which is upsetting,really wish the DEVs or Smeg would release busheldown lionheart castle zones
  9. ARCHIVED-SOE-MOD-08 Guest

Please do not bump old threads.
    Thank you,