Join Us for the Rum Cellar Campaign this April!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Awkk Well-Known Member

OK I love the look of the Fire Blighted armor, and I would have bought some by now....but there is an annoying flames effect, that can even block your vision in houses. I want a set and if they just make it possible to turn off the flames, I'd buy it. I don't care for stuff swirling around the toons head like a cloud of mosquitoes.

In regards to armor, I really prefer beautiful colors and shimmers to crazy spikes. I see armor with bizarre spikes sticking up all over. Obviously, shoulder pads are good, but good like a football player, not so good like slice your face off when you turn your head. Why not reasonably shaped armor that gleams like gold, or like polished silver, or with a metallic silvery-rainbow moire effect as if it were some mysterious elven metal. Or how about some gem armor that has the look of some of the gem or metal deposits in Landmark. Don't we have that technology to display that on armor, by now?
    GrunEQ, Losadunai, suka and 2 others like this.
  2. s7n7a7k7e Active Member

*spits out soda* LMAO!!!!!
  3. Alenna Well-Known Member

the content has been burned through Losadunai there is a little thing the devs built in to make people want to repeat content over and over again the Ferrin without which you won't be able to upgrade your armor or get some pretty good adorns.
    suka likes this.
  4. Regolas Well-Known Member

Charlice likes this.
  5. Awkk Well-Known Member

Hey I would love to have a Butcherblock Kobold tank pet!! The brown ones with the white back patterns, there are several patterns. I wish there were petamorph wands for all the patterns. I have a Frothbark Kobold petamorph, but he is smaller, all brown, and does not have the patterns. s7n7a7k7e you have some good ideas here, about the pets and the armor. I hope somebody at Daybreak is listening.
    s7n7a7k7e and suka like this.
  6. suka Well-Known Member

i agree with you. i prefer the ability to turn effects off. i often complained about the effect my freeblood got where bats swirled around in front of her face. if i pulled back away from her i couldn't see the nodes on the ground. if i moved in close, i couldn't see anything in front of me. i finally had to give up her bat mount. which was a shame because i liked it, i just wanted to be able to see through it.
    GrunEQ and Losadunai like this.
  7. Squirtikiss Member

Yes. How about doing something for lower level toons? I have not played for more than a month. I am not sure if I will come back unless more content is created for lower level characters. Why is it that more low level content is not being made? Is it more difficult? Have the devs run out of ideas? Quite honestly I could easily create more content ( as in storylines, questlines, etc.) If I can do it, I would think the devs can also.
    P.S. How am I a "NEW" member?
  8. suka Well-Known Member

kk there is no way you will get me to buy this. I went into the solo version. NO MERC ALLOWED. the mobs are level 100 epic 4. you hit one you get several on you. really? for a solo wizard wearing cloth? you really think that is doable? to make the statement short, i died - several times. immediately. barely one of two strikes and boom. dead.

you have to kill them in order to get the keys for the elevators. so no, i can't get past the first floor. and there is no way i can kill epic 4 mobs that hit me en masse. maybe if my merc were allowed, but probably not. this is a solo zone??? really???

you can keep it. if you want my participation, make it doable. I refuse to pay $15 to die repeatedly because of level 100 epic 4 mobs. to say i am disappointed is an understatement.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

that wasn't quite what i meant. i have been playing for 3 years. i have one toon who is 100 and the rest are in various stages from 50 to 98. yeah 3 will be 100 soon. however, the rest will probably be lucky to get to 95 this year. the thing is not about new people. there is plenty of content to explore from 1 to 90. but when you hit 90, you only have a few zones. when you are finished with those, you go to aom. after that we are offered a level 100 zone with epic 4 mobs and no mercs allowed. not my cup of tea by far. meanwhile i am looking at it and thinking what is in it for my toons. to buy something only 3 might be able to play? (actually none of them will go into a solo zone with no merc and 4 to 6 level 100 epic 4 mobs hitting them. no way.)

also some of my toons are only tradeskillers. it is not like i am new and haven't already explored other zones. but for me to purchase something there has to be a chance that most of my toons will get to enjoy it.

below 90 you have plenty. between 90 to 100 or if you are a tradeskiller, you find the new stuff leaves a lot to be desired.
    Griff and Losadunai like this.
  10. Sambril Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of forced solo zones either because I play a lot with a regular play partner and we cannot play together in such zones. Of course we would still be able to run the advanced solo as a duo like we do with the existing ones on live. I'm just not sure it is worth $15 for that.

You do not have to kill the epics or heroic ^^^. You are supposed to avoid most mobs. This zone is strongly puzzle based with very little combat. In fact there is only 1 mob you have to fight in regular combat (though you might chose to clear out some others). One of the lifts is active at the start and leads to an area where you can get quests for other keys. Listen to the parrot, he gives hints as to what you need to do. Also ask questions in General if you get stuck.
    Bashem, Moonpanther, suka and 2 others like this.
  11. Kristabella Well-Known Member

"As a team, we decided we want to release content to you more often than one big release a year. So, we’re introducing what we’re calling “campaigns” and to "offer variety for all the ways you play – like creative bundling of content options for families or players with multiple accounts, decorators, adventurers, crafters, and collectors"

translation:

Campaigns: Looks like at least $15 each, and how many of these per year will we be hit for? I did the beta for this "campaign" and I can say, that this content was less than an hour of play time. So, let's pretend they do 4 campaigns per year, one every quarter, just like this one, that will be $60 per year for 4-6 hours of new content. Don't even count if you have multiple accounts or your bf/gf or other family members have an account.

Bundling options: Bundling $$$ for families and multiple accounts, $$$ decorators, $$$ adventurers, $$$ crafters, and $$$ collectors.

Get ready to pull out the credit card or take out a loan, I was first gonna say nickel and dime, but more like $50 and $100. And this is on top of what we all spent for AoM and they wouldn't budge on the price, then our monthly subs.

After 11 years of loyalty, I can honestly say, I am seeing the credits roll here. I'll trudge along until I find something new.

And as for Reddit, that place is trash. You can keep it as well.

Not looking for sympathy, not looking for argument, after being in this game 11 years, and putting up with much over that time, as many of you others have done, I just wanted to voice my opinion, and that is all it is, my opinion.
    Qeshar, Lodrelhai, Bashem and 4 others like this.
  12. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

The above poster is correct... the solo zone is intended as a puzzle infiltration zone of their hideout... most mobs will not be killed. You will fight them in the heroic/raid zones.

I agree with the fact that the unknown of future costs are making people uneasy about spending on each Campaign, but I hope it will end up around $40-$60 a year. If so, the only thing we have to worry about is the quality of the content.
    Bashem and suka like this.
  13. s7n7a7k7e Active Member

All I know is they need to start listening to the community. Doesn't mean they need to meet our every demand. What it means is there needs to be some sort of dialog. I want this game to succeed. I just don't want it to succeed by stepping on the backs of it's players that support it. The DLC model makes a lot of promise by saying it will give players more purchasing options, but it also opens a whole other opportunity for the devs to manipulate players into purchases depending on how they divide their DLC content. Once you start seeing DLC that prevents players who don't purchase it from progressing with every release, the resentment will build tremendously....

More purchasing options is a good thing. It just has to be done in a way that players don't feel like their hand is being forced. Which is why I like the Marketplace so much. Most of it is cosmetic. There isn't anything there that I would call Pay-2-Win. If someone wants to purchase potions to help ease the grind up a little, why not? It's not hurting anyone. If someone wants a fancy glowy sword, or to zip around on a bixie mount, or deck out their house with Market items. Let them. It's their choice to help make the game more enjoyable to them. And that's what the Marketplace should be used for. After all, the more people enjoy the game, the more will stay. And the more people that stay. The more of them that will spend money. Which is good for the game and the community.

That being said. My g/f just surprised me last night when I logged in and saw that she got my Necro a Pitchblaze Frightmare mount. Which is freakin' awesome, btw. :D But it made me wonder how some decisions are even made in their offices... Why isn't "gifting" available for anyone? Why is it locked behind subscriptions? I bet there have been thousands if not more times that family members, friends, couples, etc, have wanted to purchase a gift from the Marketplace for someone but couldn't because they were not All-Access.

The way my family has to go about purchasing gifts in EQ2 for each other, we have to know each other's names and passwords. This way we can log into their account and make a Station Cash purchase and for the item we are trying to gift. I don't remember or not if the last Expansion was "gift-able" because I just did it the same way I've been doing it every year. By logging as my family's accounts and purchasing expansions for the four of us. But I do know that in the past that was my only option if I wanted to purchase it as a gift.

I wonder how much money was missed by the devs, because someone wanted to get a friend or family member into Everquest 2 by getting them a gift Expansion. Yeah, they would need to create an account once they received their gift key, but how would that be any different than any other game that required an account in the past how many years? I wonder how many new people might have joined the game and helped increase the game population because they received an EQ2 expansion as a gift, but never did because the person who wanted to gift it to them.... couldn't. How can they expect their game to flourish when they never market it... and they don't even allow their fan-base to market it for them? It's small things like this that bit at the games ankles.
    Qeshar and suka like this.
  14. Griff Well-Known Member

Lets cut to chase and face reality.
    1. Aom was/is an expansion and many (self included) are bored of it. So much for expansions being the only/best way to release content. It was, in the opinion of many, too geared towards gearing up in instances and too little in regards to an overland experience with plenty to do. However, just about anyone who is serious about enjoying the game, even us casuals, purchased, or will purchase the expansion simply because it completes the game that we enjoy.
    2. Having expansions with a limited staff pretty much means that new content, short of the expansion, is a long way off. If it's another expansion like the last one, it's not going to satisfy the more casual crowd that enjoys overland content very much. Their clearly is not enough staff to keep the large GU updates with content going while developing an expansion.
    3. DLC's spread the content and the costs over the course of a year. That just might keep people interested in playing as opposed to waiting and budgeting for an expansion.
    4. Some complain that we might wind up with too many DLC packs that wind up costing more than an expansion. Can't speak for others, but if I'm enjoying the content of the DLC's then it's well worth the money. If I'm able to test it, like we are now, and it has no appeal, then I simply pass it by; unlike an expansion where if you only like a small part of it (looking at you AoM), you still have to buy the whole thing or have nothing.
    5. Sorry if I and my family were the only ones that apparently enjoyed Splitpaw. I thought it was a great adventure pack that was well worth the money spent on it. Not everyone enjoys the same content. That's another reason why a DLC is not such a bad concept. We also enjoyed The Bloodline Chronicles.
    6. If you can budget out for an expansion, then budgeting for a DLC should be even easier. We have 5 accounts in the family and I far rather purchase the DLC's when we want/desire them than budget for $200+ in one shot for a full expansion that in many cases, we will all want at once if there is enough perks and content for everyone. $15+ for something I "really really want" is more palatable than $40-$90 for something that "I like some of the parts of".
    As for myself and my family, our level 100's are simply sitting around and collecting dust since we don't enjoy raiding or serious heroic content. If $15 allows us to load in our capped out characters and have some fun for a few nights doing the solo quests, then I call that a bargain.

I purchased AoM for AoM, not for what I believed/hoped it should be in the future. I have no buyers remorse for that purchase since I knew what I was getting for my money. The company owes me nothing for the years that I supported it since 2000. I don't expect them to give me more product for free based on the previous purchases I made or my subscriptions. When they do, I'm pleased. When they don't, well, I got what I paid for.

If you enjoy the DLC content, then purchase it. If not, then accept that it's not a value to you and move on. If something is enjoyable for several hours if it's free; then it's also enjoyable at $15. It's their store and their product, it's your dollar. You get to decide if it's worth having at the price they get to decide is worthwhile to them.
    suka, NickStern, Foretold and 3 others like this.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

i will give it another try later than thank you. i love puzzles. the elevators made me think of the ro zones where you had to kill a named to get the keys. i didn't find the active lift, but of course i didn't know there was one.
  16. Griff Well-Known Member

Respectfully, how many would purchase content that did not provide them with some form of progression? Their in a business designed to provide peer pressure to make sales for them. It's one of the reasons that linear content is so seldom provided. The company wants revenue and the players want to feel that their characters are progressing.

If I don't resent raiders for having far better gear than I do, since I don't raid, why would I resent other players for purchasing content to progress? For that matter, if the company is providing me with additional entertainment and options at an additional price, why should I resent that?

If you really *need* something in a game that only the new content can provide, then that indicates that you perhaps utilized all the previous content to get to that point. I don't expect them to back fill that old content, at their expense, to save me money from purchasing the new content.
    suka likes this.
  17. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

Glad you will try again. Just hug the walls around the bottom and read the messages that the lifts say, and the parrot.... the first lift on the left is the one you want to start with and I will let you figure out the rest... remember be sneaky :)
    suka, Griff and Moonpanther like this.
  18. Mindsway Well-Known Member

I want to understand something. This $15 DLC, how often are we going to see them? Are we also going to see expansions on top of that, and if so how much will those cost?
  19. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

We are going to get a larger one in the fall, that is all we know for this year Campaigns. The fall one is quoted to be larger, and prices will vary with different bundle packages. The expansions as we know them up through AoM, are no longer, for the forseeable future.
    suka and Moonpanther like this.
  20. s7n7a7k7e Active Member

I agree. There needs to be some sort of progression in order to entice players to purchase the new content, whether it be a small DLC pack for $15 or a full Expansion for $39. Expansions bring a lot of things like:
    • Better gear
    • Higher level caps
    • New areas to explore
    • Dungeons
    • Quests
    • Etc
    This is something we all expect to get from Expansions. I expect it from their new DLC model, as well. The difference is that with the Annual Expansion model there is only one hula-hoop to jump through a year in order to get access to all the content I mentioned above for the base expansion price of $39. With the DLC model, DLC can be released throughout the year creating many hula-hoops for players to jump through all year-round in order to progress, each for $15 or more. (And I stress the or more, because the Dev statement that the prices will vary. Which is a blank check in their favor...)

They can hide behind the promise that DLC packs will allow players to "pick and choose" content instead plunking down $40 at the end of the year. But with expansions you had a choice to get either the base expansion for $40 for the actual game or the Collector Edition for $70-80 if you want fluff items. Fluff is the key word here. That extra $40 or whatever they choose to charge for the Collector Editions is ....just ....fluff. The Collector Edition has no relevance to progression at all, unless you consider any special Collector Edition Mercs a form of progression.

With the DLC model there is the potential situation where progression as a way to force players to pay $15 or more for each of the DLC packs sold throughout the course of a year. Thus, costing more (...potentially as much as a Collector Edition Expansion) than the base Expansion where you get everything for $39. At every DLC release whether it be 4 DLC a year, or 6, who knows how many will be released, players will be faced with a Pay-Wall. Pay $15 (...or more) or you'll have to settle for the level you are capped at and whatever gear you have.

So yeah, progression is absolutely a necessary evil. It's how that evil is wielded that people are worried about.
    suka and Qeshar like this.