Is the grass really greener?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED--UGG-Andy, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED--UGG-Andy Guest

I've always been of the opinion that bruisers have it better in every single way,better tanking,better dps,better soloing,better crowd control...
    Now,those that have betrayed from either side,am i right or wrong?:smileytongue:
  2. ARCHIVED-Ronin von der Butterblume Guest

What is the fascination of asking exact the same question again and again and again?
    Sry...can´t imagine
  3. ARCHIVED-WaachBack Guest

Coming from someone who has a 70 bruiser and a 62 pvp monk, the short answer is no, the grass is not greener, it never is.
  4. ARCHIVED--UGG-Andy Guest

well im asking now as the situation has changed,never before could a lvl70 monk or bruiser switch-even gaige has switched to bruiser,so thats why im asking,mmkay?
  5. ARCHIVED-Darthornn Guest

Yes, switch to bruiser, please. Leave me and my class in peace. :smileywink:
  6. ARCHIVED-scalzo Guest

Looks to me on the LU notes Brusiers got nerfed. I will stay Monk TYVM!
    Good luck to the people that betray dont cry on the next LU. :smileywink:
    Message Edited by scalzo on 06-15-2006 10:15 PM
  7. ARCHIVED--UGG-Andy Guest

well,i have no intention of betraying from monk,i just play classes based on whether i like the concept of them,not if they are uber or fotm.
    That said i bet a lot have betrayed now,for sure.I wonder how many will regret it.
  8. ARCHIVED-Stryyfe Guest

I haven't seen a single Brusier that has been better than me at any of the above except crowd control and now we have fear to help that a bit. It's possible that there are several, but it's definately not more than 50/50.
    Why don't you Betray and find out how similar we really are, besides the fact that Brusiers cannot solo better than Monks hands down.. and i'm not just talking the fight itself, i'm talking getting there, walking around mob to mob, sneaking through dungeons for updates, etc. Brusiers cannot do half of the things as far as utility that a Monk can.
  9. ARCHIVED-Stryyfe Guest

Who the hell cares what Gaige switched to? Who the hell is Gaige, other than a guy who constantly is on the forums helping you people out, and obviously a good monk on his server and for his guild, and apparently knows the needs of his guild and is making a choice strictly based most likley on the guild being more successful in what they want to accomplish and even possibly to have more fun based on personal preference.
    Don't let someone elses decision influence yours just because they are successful in their class. Why don't you send him a private message and ask some of the reasons he did it and then make your own judgement for yourself, not based on others.
  10. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Hehe I agree.. I like Gaige and have been on his side in alot of fights for balance but one thing you need to know about Gaige is he's ALL about tanking. Just look at the AA's he picked. Brusiers just have better mitigation due to their self buff and I'm sure that is a big part of Gaige switching to a Brusier.

Besides I'm sure his guild have just about every master sitting in the bank so when he switches he wont lose anything.. :smileytongue:
  11. ARCHIVED--UGG-Andy Guest

ok,stop telling me to switch,i said allready i have no intention of doing that.
    This was a thread asking those who HAVE switched what there opinion is,and im asking them cos they are in a position to know what they are talking about.
    As for gaige,since release hes been a great help to the monk community with his information,and insight into the monk class,thats why i mentioned him,just cos he is a prolific monk and his comparison of the two classes im sure will be a very interesting one,now he has experiance of both.
    Stop reading into my intentions,and posting off topic crap telling me to betray and find out.Im interested in the opinions of those that have switched,and im sure some others are curious as to what those opinions will be,if you yourself are not interested,don't post in the thread!
  12. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

My guild had two monks. We didn't have a bruiser. I prefer to tank as much as possible including raids.
    The choice was easy.
    Playing the bruiser class is basically a carbon copy of playing the monk one, except for the obvious things like Tsunami and the like. Its not that different and one doesn't feel more "uber" than the other.
    I wanted the c/s/p/r debuff for raiding (because T7 is all about debuffs) and I wanted the mit/hp buff. Tsunami is cool against epics for 12 seconds but 3 mins of 1306 mit is better.
    The dps is a moot point as is solo'ing. I can solo the same stuff now as I could on Tuesday. The classes really feel similiar aside from like I said the obvious things.
    I did it because it was the best choice for my playstyle and my guild - not because monks suck. Quite the contrary I loved the monk class, it just wasn't the best choice for me anymore.
    Message Edited by Gaige on 06-15-2006 11:43 AM
  13. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

It just is not best choice for anyone who wants to tank as brawler, who wants to dps as brawler...
    Sad to see you go Gaige...
    So we can tell from day #1 monk: "Grass is much greener for tanking side" quite the contrary what is "said" and "supposed to be" "defensive side of brawlers"

Message Edited by selch on 06-15-2006 12:00 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-zaboron Guest

It is always wiser to play the class the head dev is playing too.
  15. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Depends imho monks do have better agro control then bruisers, but yes bruisers imho tank better then monks. The loss of the mitigation potion is actually a pretty decent hit to us as well. Glad i stocked up on 20 mitigation potions should last me until T8-T9 where the extra mitigation it provides will be minimal.
    I would like to see gaige's insight on tanking heroic fights w multi mobs w a warlock etc with a bruiser vs a monk. It was not like it was impossible but it did keep us on our toes more i would say.
  16. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
    Moorgard is not the head developer. He was promoted from community manager to game designer somewhere in the developement of EQ2. In other words during developement meetings he puts his opinion into the games design, but he does not design the game. If any one game designer/developer is considered the head of developing the game it would be Lockeye.
    edit: and jsut for reference there is ~20 game designers in EQ2 each of which has thier own class. A wise man once said think before you speak... you should probably listne to that advice.
    Message Edited by Gungo on 06-15-2006 12:44 PM
  17. ARCHIVED-WaachBack Guest

/gasp So you really did it. :smileysad:
  18. ARCHIVED--UGG-Andy Guest

see..thats the sort of answer i was looking for..and it is interesting..thanks for the info gaige.
    I wonder what direction the two subclasses will take in the futiure with class specific AA's.
  19. ARCHIVED-DarkerApprentice Guest

Holy crap gaige.
    Well, I know you get a few things from bruiser that you didn't with monk but was nice the chats we used to have about being a monk. Now they'll have to be about being a BRAWLER.

Good luck and happy hunting. Tell Illuminator hey for me.

Cheers,
    Val.
  20. ARCHIVED-KR Guest

Bruisers are a better class in every aspect in a raid oriented setting. Monks are a broken class. I've been saying this since t6. I am not going to change to a bruiser though because I have hope that SOE will realize Monks are a broken class and will do something. Either make us better tanks, or give us bruiser dps. One or the other. As it is now we are a ghetto version of a bruiser with a dumb 12 second tsunami which can be used once per fight usually. Again, we are talking raiding here...we aren't talking about a good hybrid for groups/quests/xping. If this was the vision of the Monk class, SOE should have put a note on the class select screen saying "This class will be worthless for endgame content". Since this note did not exist at character creation time...I demand someone to fix the Monk class, or give a one time class change option....to any class desired.

I know devs like to respond to opinions like mine with "There are all different play styles and raid styles, and Monks are designed for certain situations". No.....No. That is an excuse from someone who does not raid. As of right now, with the current endgame content, there is ZERO reason to have a Monk in a guild over a Bruiser. And there is ZERO reason to have a bruiser over either a real tank class, or a real dps class. This is a critical problem with this...and nothing is being done about it because a)the majority of the monk player community sees no problem with their class.....because they are not real engame raiders(see why?), and b)The devs who playtest Monks aren't either. Soooo, disagree all you want, there are some people out there who understand what I am talking about. Hopefully this number will grow until something is done to the Brawler archtype all together. We are a misfit archtype with the guise of "situational uses". I knew that going into the class but hoped there would be SOME reason for my existance in the endgame content. As it is now, you either have fix mitigation/avoidance for gods sake, make us tanks, or make us dps, or give us something actually good enough for someone to say, "hey, we need a brawler for this 24 man raid". Has anyone ever heard that?(not princes)
    Message Edited by KR on 06-15-2006 03:00 PM
    Message Edited by KR on 06-15-2006 03:01 PM