Iksar fashion (image heavy...sorta)

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Zabjade, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-KefkaQ Guest

Would a good example of egg size to body size include the birdmen hanging around Timorous Deep? The eggs are up in trees, but they seem pretty big in relation to the size of those that laid them.
  2. ARCHIVED-Slaskia Guest

The ones we see in TD are certainly more realistically sized then the ones you see in PoA. However, I think it's possible the devs made them purposely big(ger) so the player base could actually see and target them without too much trouble (they are quest related after all...). Thus I would be careful on using those as an example of egg size in the game itself.
    Two to four would be my guess as well in terms of number, however I think they were laid at the same time, so would need to be smaller in size. (another question would be how long after...erm...impregantion are they laid and the incubation period...but let's leave that alone for another topic shall we?)
    Dreyco, as small as some of us human beings can be, do we look like we can have a full term baby?
  3. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

I wasn't totally satisfied with the proportions of the lower bodies on this pic (It is my scraps section at DA) but It had a few interesting points that I would like to keep for future pictures.

Also it might steer the thread back on course slightly...then again maybe not or it will skew it in an even weirder direction. One thing I really REALLY hope that the new skeletal models do is get rid of the hunched shoulders that female Iksar currently have, if nothing else.

[IMG]
  4. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

Slaskia wrote:
    Actually, yes. I have three younger siblings, and I helped out my mom with one of them (not during the actually process, but you get my meaning).

Comparing an infant to the egg as depicted is kind of silly. That Iksar looks to be rather small in build. Compare that to a human being of that size, there is no way that she would have been able to pass that object whole.

Mothers died giving birth before to children. Now adays, if the child is large, to keep the mother safe, they operate and have it removed without risking the parent's life. If that's the case with sometimes a larger infant, then as depicted in that picture, she would break something.

There is a large difference between having to give birth to something that is shaped like an infant, compared to a .... watermelon.

It's an art depiction. I think the art is great. But when push comes to shove with tangibility, which is what is being argued, it's not possible. But art is sometimes beyond the realm of the possible. That's why it's art.
  5. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

The reason I made the egg so large is I was thinking it would be about the size of a human newborn when hatched. In Norrathian reality this may or may not be true, we will have to wait for the new Lore go-to guy/gal takes over to know for sure.

Besides smaller eggs just look....wrong to me.
  6. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

But to get the thread back on topic, here is another artist's interpretations of Iksar fasion/frill length/posture/etc that I think are spot on, and increadibly well done.

You can find her gallery at the Archive. Drop a friendly comment :)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. ARCHIVED-Slaskia Guest

Actually Dreyco you kind of proved my point. Zab was attempting to depict the egg as one that would contain a hatchling the size of a newborn human infant (and the egg depicted in her sketch is too big for the reasons I noted earlier). I've already concided that with an Iksar laying only one egg it could be a larger size (not as big as Zab drawn though, about half to 2/3 that size).
    You were erking about an Iksar laying multiple eggs, I'm assuming because you think they would of the same size as if she were laying only one. That wouldn't happen for similar reasons why a human pregnant with twins or more ends up giving birth early: the body knows it's limits and simply wouldn't allow for multiple babies in the womb to grow to full term size. The result are babies born at a smaller size then a single full term baby would be.
    So with this in mind, a lithe Iksar female can lay multiple eggs, if the eggs are smaller. (I'd love to sketch a pic to show what I mean...but Iksar Females don't like me drawing them for some reason >< (it's the frilliks....can never get them to look right))
    It seems though we are starting to talk in circles over this. So let's agree to disagree for now. To contribute to the 'lets get this thread back on track' movement....
    [IMG]
    Sorry for decapitating the poor guy (head didnt' want to turn out right...was more interested in his robe design anyway). The character I design this robe for is another Necromancer, though it does look more suited for a wizard....
  8. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Interesting artistic look on the frills, the bottoms one end up longer on his/hers art.. I tend to go for the more cobra hood look although the one girl in the middle is a rather extreme example in size. :)

I find myself actually liking both styles, maybe they should give a choice on Frilliks come the Mythical Skeletal Update.
  9. ARCHIVED-Xyrah Guest

i like the pic from Dreyco really,

I think a special appereance for Iksar would be cool, remember the load screen from Everquest 2. Im a bit dissapointed of the "we wear (and look) all the same". I mean every Race except Sarnaks. It would be awesome to show up the scales what the iksar are. A bit unique Racial Stuff would be nice SOE :)