I think this would be fun, but would it annoy the hard-core raiders?

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by Kenn, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Kenn Well-Known Member

3 expansions prior, take out the mechanics that make it so you can't solo things.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

??? you're asking to make past content harder?
  3. Benj Well-Known Member

I think he wants to make past content easier, by removing the roadblocks that directly prevent players from soloing it. Things like flipping two switches at the same time. It's a popular request, though the devs repeatedly state they don't have the bandwidth for it.
  4. Kenn Well-Known Member

Not exactly the two switch thing. There are group zones that I can't solo the named. Even though they are much lower than me. But if I have one person in the group they are easy. Try and solo some of those POM group zones solo.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Okay I misread your original post. For some reason I read it as "take out the mechanics that make it so you can solo things."

My mistake.

Yeah I'm totally in favor of removing the ascension requirements from the PoP and CD raids, the 6-man switches in that raid zone in Frostfang, the insta-kill curses from BoL, RoS, VoV, etc. The Bulwark mechanic, the power drains from BoL, RoS, VoV, etc.

Too bad there's way too much coding involved to go back and change content that isn't directly related to future release content.
    Sentrasia and Twyla like this.
  6. Jrox Well-Known Member

There are a number of zones that still require even a full grp and a variety of classes due to script. It would be fun to be able to complete those for old achievements and appearance stuff without haveing to force it upon friends or require us to beg for help on something others have zero inclination to due. I agree with the OP.

However, I do understand the bandwidth portion of this, but it would be like flipping a switch to turn off scripts.
    Sentrasia likes this.
  7. Melkior Well-Known Member

Doesn't the achievement mean less if you have to dumb down the encounter to acquire it? Me: Hey guess what guys I ran a marathon last week! Friends: Really you ran 26 miles?? Me: No. They just reclassified a marathon as 5 miles. Isn't it great? I'm a marathoner now!!
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Kenn Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't mean less to me. I'm a solo players and can not play consistently enough to do raids. I enjoying being able to do all the content, get all the collections even if I am behind a couple expansions. I don't mind if raiders get extra because they are on the forefront doing the harder thing. They could put something in that if you do the raid or group content before x expansions come out, then you get special achievement and rewards.

Just this weekend, I tried to get a group together from guild and general chat to kill one mob in Mugavi Wastes (which isn't too old) and I could only get 2 other people. The old expansions are pretty much dead to everyone except solo players. I really enjoyed doing the old raids and group content solo, until Daybreak put the mechanics in so I can't solo it.

I was able to solo all the raids from the Phantom Sea expansion to get the items in order to kill the avatars. After a couple months of getting all the items, I can't get a group together to go kill the avatars, but from what I understand, it requires a full raid to zone in.
    Sentrasia and Twyla like this.
  9. Melkior Well-Known Member

Except you aren't actually doing the content unless they change it. That was really my point. If you only beat it if they simplify it, that experience is very different then how it played out originally.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a big deal to me. I play to enhance my characters, and mostly to interact with the friends I've made in the game over the years. I guess to me, I'd rather not do it if I can't do it as it was intended. But I may well be out on my own island there. Maybe it's easier for me to say though, because I have no trouble at all finding people to help me if I want to go back and work old content that we didn't get to in any given year.
  10. Jrox Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. I don't see an issue with doing this to older content virtually no one is running. I believe that's what the TLE servers are for. Live is 99% all current content players. And if folks want to go back and grab achievements, what's the big deal? I say change it, let people go get that stuff done if they so choose and don't leave it locked down. There is already way more than enough to burden a new or returning player without this as an additional hinderance.
    Sentrasia, Twyla and SolarFaire like this.
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

I think the issue is going to be that TLE servers and Live servers are linked, so dumbing down content on live will impact the same content on TLE.
  12. Jrox Well-Known Member

I don't think I am following the logic here. They are different servers and have many things set up differently. How would changing something on HOF or Skyfire etc... have an impact on say Varsoon?

Not too mention, the folks on Varsoon don't have our stat inflation...
    SolarFaire likes this.
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

Because it does. Posts like the one below have been a constant from the earliest TLEs.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/tle-changes-leaked-from-live.582368/
  14. Jrox Well-Known Member

Your talking about Spells and AA abilities, I think the discussion is regarding content. And typically when, which is seldom, things are done both on live and the TLE it is not content related, meaning the adventure world, but the changes are in classes and toon abilities. I should have been more precise in my assertion. Not everything on Live that is changed has an impact on TLE...
    Sentrasia likes this.
  15. Dude Well-Known Member

No, I linked a post that happened to be about that. Taking mechanics out of live, would mean taking them out of TLE. Now, if the company did that only for expansions that would not impact TLE, then it would be no big deal. Since TLEs rarely go past DoV, anything after that is probably fine as it would never impact a TLE.
  16. Jrox Well-Known Member

Well, that being the case, there are VERY FEW things you can't solo before DOV...
    Sentrasia likes this.
  17. Sentrasia Well-Known Member

Excluding zones that require levers to be pulled at the same time there are no zones prior to KA that require more than one person to complete (KA has nightmare which requires 2 people for the gauntlet before the final named if I recall correctly and possible The Kly as it has the sacrifice mechanic).

TLE servers never even get close to KA. Making it so live players can go back and farm achievements/appearance items/enjoy the content does not hurt anyone and does not affect TLE in any way.

Removing the click at the same time requirement from levers in no way makes a zone easier. Especially zones like icy keep where good luck getting six people with the gloves that are willing to come help.
    Twyla, SolarFaire and Jrox like this.