Hunter's Catch Up Mechanic and Reset Timers need overhaul

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by oakmiser, Jul 12, 2022.

1. oakmiser Well-Known Member

The current system doesn't allow for a good balance for catch especially now that completing an old hunter's quest completed after a fresh one is offered disables your ability to do the new one.

More below from others. Opinions and suggestions.
  2. Niadissa New Member

Honestly, as it stands currently, if you grab a hunter quest, but do not finish it until the following lockout period you forfeit your ability to grab a second hunter quest. This punishes the player unnecessarily. As long as you grab the quest from the previous lockout period you should not be locked out of doing the second hunter quest. If you miss the window for the second one and it moves onto the third (and you still have the first) by all means, you missed the opportunity and that's your fault.

That being said, this system could be improved. I believe that this should be a weekly limit of tokens. Currently, if you did every hunter quest every single lockout, you can get 9 quests done for 18 tokens. Setting a weekly limit of 18 tokens means that someone who has limited play time has just as much opportunity to get as many tokens as someone else doing it daily. So if you have 1-2 days where you have several hours you can push through and get all of your tokens done in those days.

Pro's:
    - Can work on your hunter quests on your time. Such as days off.
    - Can get them all done in a single day if you want, and spend the rest of the week doing other things.
    - Don't have to worry about missing a lockout because you didn't get your quest done on time for that day.

Con's:
    - if you don't get to it till later in the week, may have trouble getting a group to complete your quests.

Alternatively or even in tandem with the above suggestion, we are playing on a FREE TRADE server, make the coins tradable/sellable. This server was setup to allow for free trade, but we have many many restrictions on what is sellable and what is not. This would allow someone who has limited playtime, the ability to buy the coins they need, and it gives an incentive for others to farm up coins past the point where they got the gear that they wanted keeping the grouping space active.
  3. KaitlynnAM101 Member

With the current change to being unable to complete one quest and pick up the new one after means that some people will always miss some rotations of the quest simply because the timeframe falls within their sleep>work hours, and that sucks a lot because it will gradually put them farther and farther behind everyone else at no fault of theirs, just simply because of how the system currently is. Some of my suggestions I have:

Actually just make the quest a daily, give it a 24 hour reset, and modify the coins to match, either by increasing the coin reward, or reducing the amount required for an item.

I would love for it to be more of a weekly thing personally, but I doubt this one will happen, kinda how the ethereals are on the live servers is the idea, an account flag, with a certain allotment per week, allowing people who may have 1 or 2 days a week of actual play time to smash them out on those days, this version also makes it more alt friendly as well, it won't wear people out if they want the items on alts, dailies eventually wear on the population as they get tired of running it over and over.

I feel like there should be some kind of catch up mechanic in place for either of these options as well, as it's not fun for people who may be joining a bit late or people that had real life get in the way of play time, to be behind everyone else by X amount, every other MMO has some kinda catch up mechanic in place for daily and weekly stuff, even our live servers do for certain things (ethereal coins), I don't understand why we can't have them as well, just enough to keep people within a range of where you should be on amount if you were to have hit every quest, leaving them only a few days behind the max would be fine, just not having to do it for weeks scrounging for groups because everyone else has finished theirs and no longer wants to do them.

Would just like this stuff addressed/considered before it becomes an actual issue on the server.
    BlackSeren1200 and Darkpaladin like this.
  4. sephrok New Member

Also I get the idea of hunters how it encourages people to group and explore and collaborate but… can it be a little less taxing on logistics ? Great points on the timestaps of being able to carry over your hunters quest to the next day. And seeing as how I came to this server for FREE TRADE I don’t feel like much is really different or free or tradable … I think either y’all need to scale back on the idea of what “attunable” should mean. There’s no reason why I shouldn’t be able to take off my breastplate and pass it down to my cleric when I get an upgrade…. Tuning just ruins that.. and ruins free trade.

Please let us enjoy free trade in all its glory as advertised !

Cheers,

Sephrok / Mingle / Shyvale
  5. Baldur New Member

Can someone please explain exactly how the reset timer thing works? It resets every 18 hours I've heard I think, is that from when you grabbed the quest? When you completed it? At the same time for everyone?
  6. Pharliquin Member

Reset times are same for everyone.
  7. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

They may have changed it due to a few cheaters exploiting hunters coins last time.
  8. Bernouli Member

18 hours is okay for getting a new one but we only have 2 months to go and some of us have multiple 50's. Let me repeat it a few times if i want to. IDK why waiting is even a thing anymore. At the very least let me do yesterday's and immediately turn around and grab the one for today.
  9. Zenji Well-Known Member

It's a daily quest.
    You can do it once a day.
    If you miss a day, it's ok. Just do one on the days you play.
  10. KaitlynnAM101 Member

Yeah, more than likely a change for the quest duping, but nothing was said about this being changed so no one knew. There is no issue in my opinion with the change, I just think there are more improvements to add with it, and something should have been said about the change.
  11. Zenji Well-Known Member

Wasn't this changed during TSO or SF on Kaladim? It's been like this for a while.
  12. oakmiser Well-Known Member

No. It didn't start till skyshrine
  13. Zenji Well-Known Member

So only a year ago. ;)
  14. KaitlynnAM101 Member

Less than that, had to have been changed during the point where there was pretty much no one playing the server anymore, because people were still doing it even up to the point of when I stopped playing on the server. So, that wasn't a change made until late into Skyshrine on Kaladim then, so fairly recent, and no one is playing on that server to even see the change in effect, and it's still not listed in any of the notes.
  15. Naneeje Well-Known Member

Please fix this. Everything said above is accurate and needs to be addressed.
    Something had to have been accidentally changed, there is no way this was on purpose.
  16. Zenji Well-Known Member

It was absolutely on purpose. People were exploiting to get 2 quests per reset.
    The fix was poorly done, however it did put an end to the exploit.
  17. Bekkr Well-Known Member

This.

Also at the very least, please make the coins heirloom. This quest is annoying and feels like daily chores already, but is basically necessary because of the quality of the items. Why not let people who want to optimize the amount of time they spend on it by sacrificing their alts' gear do that?
    KaitlynnAM101 likes this.
  18. Arandar Well-Known Member

Legitimately wonder what you find annoying. That some of the zones have access quests associated with them, or something else? The current iteration is so much better than using contested mobs, imo.
  19. Bekkr Well-Known Member

Like I said, it feels like daily chores. The quests are actually kind of fun the first couple times, but it doesn't feel like an accomplishment or anything, it's just tedious and because of the items being so good, it's basically compulsory. I've talked to a bunch of folks in game who feel the same way.
    Phee and Elskidorr like this.
  20. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

I don't see a valid reason why hunter's coins should be no-trade. Maybe their concern was that people with lots of alts could get hunter's items "too quickly" if they were heirloom or trade-able. What's wrong with someone being able to obtain the item earlier because they put more game time in on multiple characters? They still have to farm those tokens for each of their characters.