How does a person get Ergott, Cerulean Terror?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Semperfifofum, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

First of all, did I miss a note? What are the changes to the cobalt crates now that they're Singing Steel Crates?

The mount from that, costs 7000 jadeite medallions. Edit: Did I mention that the mount starts with a base potency of 20k?

I get 6 as a member, from each crate.

If I buy 20 crates, that's 120 jadeite medallions per about $28 with discount.

By my reckoning, that's around $1700.

And no, I don't have the plat to buy that many crate sets from the broker. Since crate sets, especially 20 crate sets, are far more expensive on the broker than Krono even.

So how do people get that mount? Is it an out of reach reward?
    Cyrrena and SynergyBlaize like this.
  2. Bludd Well-Known Member

it was a random reward from the old cobalt crates
    now you can buy it with 7000 deluxe space bux
    Rhodris, Cyrrena and Semperfifofum like this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's pure gambling. I bought a 20-stack of Cobalt Crates to get some barding slot unlockers for an alt, and the first one I opened had the mount. Yet there are some people I have heard complaining that have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars and still not got the mount (I can only begin to imagine the spousal aggro...)
    Tkia, parissa, Rhodris and 4 others like this.
  4. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Consider the spousal aggro for someone (like several in Discord last night) that's spent over $1k on crates without getting a mount, that's now looking at spending another $1200+ to get the coins to buy it from the merchant.

And this doesn't even go into the unlocked merc that overpowers any other merc in game. Pure P2W grab, and likely unfortunate timing when paired with Jennifer's letter. Especially when Dreamweaver was asked in Discord why there wasn't an announcement for the new loot crates, and responded something to the effect of "Similar to the Cobalt crates it was decided one wasn't requested."

Yeah, there were a lot of folks (both raiders and casuals) exploding and getting banned last night.
  5. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Stuff like this is exactly why I stopped playing their other super-hero game. Some limited time canisters or whatnot that had BiS items only obtainable via gambling on the cash shop... its disheartening. In the end, all you have left of the player base is the supremely overpowered "whales" who have no idea what their class is about or how its played, and shun others for not having spent a portion of their child's college tuition on some RNG gambling doodad.

It feels like we're on the precipice here, with the recent addition of Cobalt crates with BiS mounts...and these new Steel Crates with some OP merc. I really really sincerely hope that this is not what the new regime believes is an acceptable change - or considered "salting out the genius" as it were. The only thing that's getting salty are the OG players who've witnessed the gradual decimation of a legacy born out of love for the game (and not the bottom line).

My only saving grace now is that I know come the next expansion (?), these items will be cast aside for some other more potent BiS item that's only available via gambling.... which is sad.

Granted, these changes might help keep the lights on, but at what reputational cost?
    Finnwizz, Rhodris, Cyrrena and 5 others like this.
  6. Jaeded Well-Known Member

The luck I have with RNG, I can guarantee I won't be buying any crates. As an example I have received a grand total of 4 exquisite chests this xpac, one a red rune, yeah ! go me, a duplicate red rune ...not so much yeah, go me, a level 108(?!!WTF) master (not even my class) and finally an illegible page for Geomancer master, did anyone even level a Geomancer???
    Cyrrena, Elkana and Semperfifofum like this.
  7. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Wow I had no idea this was such a hot button issue. I bought two of the crates just to see what was in there. It was nice because on AB server, I have one character at 120 and no alts to help out. So the status was very welcome, etc. Then I'm like, what do I do with this currency? Which leads to the question about the mount. LOL Oops, pandora's box.

I do think that since mounts and whatnot are useless after a brief period, making them this far out of reach is kind of meh. But isnt' Skygge 22k potency? I'm not really feeling deprived since for a tiny fraction of the price I can get that mount.
    Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  8. Vanleeze New Member

What's the big deal if you play with the second BiS mount ? If some ppl are willing to spend that much money and help keep the game running for many years to come, what's the problem with that ?

Someone will outparse you ? So what ?

I know some ppl in top raid forces that never pays for anything besides xpac. They don't even pay there monthly sub, they buy a monthly krono on the broker and still enjoy the same content.
    kerry, Raff, parissa and 2 others like this.
  9. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

it's not that they're willing to spend their money. It's what it's spent on. Used to, you could pay $15 a month, per account, and as long as you spent a little bit of time wandering around, you could be a very good player, and there were lots of places to go, and things to do. Now, people are spending thousands of dollars ON A ******* MOUNT. Not quests, not a new account (or even 5 new accounts, with premium expansions). A mount - an item that will be outdated as soon as they decide to come out with the next one. The over-reaching greed for, well, almost nothing is the audacity and the problem.
    Hiza, Tkia, Rhodris and 4 others like this.
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

This.

EQ2's revenue model is probably unsustainable. People should see Ergott, Cerulean Terror as a sort of top tier 'Go Fund Me' reward. I also expect more competitive mounts (other than BoL expac/raid tier) to be released at some point this year.

Nonetheless, I think the actual price tag is an oversight.
    Breanna, parissa and SynergyBlaize like this.
  11. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Just to be clear with respect to the new loot boxes:

The first gambling bit is for the merc, unlock bauble, and uber-batallion buff.

The secondary gambling bit is for the coins to buy the mount. Coins are awarded (1 to 4) each spin, doubled for members. Each gamble for members costs $1.43. Confirmed by Dreamweaver that the mount costs 7,000 coins.

So, best case (all gambles produce 8 coins) = 875 spins @ $1.43 = $1,251
    median (all gambles produce 4.5 coins) = 1,555 spins @ $1.43 = $2,224
    worst case (all gambles produce 2 coins) = 3,500 spins @ $1.43 = $5,005
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  12. Tangris Well-Known Member

Guildies have gotten 10 coins in one box (so 20 since they are members...).
    parissa, Semperfifofum and Cyrrena like this.
  13. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

That is indeed good news. Excellent.

That puts the best case at $500.50.
    ($5,005,$953,$500)
    Semperfifofum and Cyrrena like this.
  14. Audrel Member

That is still a flipping insane price. You have to assume few, if any, will get best case scenario as well as few will have the worst. I would assume average price to be somewhere between $1700 to $2500. Best wishes to all who try though. I think Broken Paw has gone over the edge on pricing.
    Tkia, Semperfifofum, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Well, bought a 20-box set of the Steel crates and got the merc right off. RNGeezus loves me, I guess. They need to do the appearance gear a as "pick one" box containing all the pieces of a set, It does me no good to have ten matching helmets and no breastplate.

So, where do we spend these Jadite Coins?
    Breanna, parissa, Gillymann and 2 others like this.
  16. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Well no matter if you get 2 or 10 coins, it still works out to cost a lot more than just buying the premium edition. So much more, that a person wonders if it's a booby prize. Not sure what they're doing with it. I think if someone wants to be an "investor" in the game they'll just invest the normal way instead of buying in game items. So I'm not convinced by that assertion either.

Sigridfa: I found the merchant in Smuggler's grotto in Qeynos Harbor, ask a Guard for Arabella. There's swimming involved.
    Cyrrena, parissa and Sigrdrifa like this.
  17. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

for those prices, i'd prefer actual content. not some piddly trifling thing that's ugly as sin, and costs more than a mortgage, car payment, and grocery bill all rolled into one. hell, that's more income than some folks even see in 2 months. it's disgusting. I miss sony's $15 dollars a month content. :( at least they made it where anything BIS I could WORK for and even enjoy myself doing it, because it wasn't monotonous ******** daily mission quests. there were reasons to go to the zones I went to more than once (like the last 5 years-worth of sig lines) I don't think I paid 1200 for the first 3 years I played the game, and I played religiously, 16+ hours a day, every month paying for the game (because kronos didn't exist, yet another nightmare.)

EQ2 for the last decade+4 years, has been my home. I have watched it change servers, I have seen friends come and go, I have watched the progression from faeries to vampires to dinosaurs and pirates, and many a mad magician along the way. I have watched the populations rise and fall, and rise again. I have watched helplessly as my beloved game has fallen into hands who lately, feel like they have just utterly destroyed everything that this game was, without a care for what it could have been. there have been many a farewell post lately, and i'm fervently hoping not to add mine to them. but many decisions in the last 6 years (I'm including sony's sale of the game), and in the last 4 months in particular, have been especially trying in my resolute determination to try to enjoy the game as best I can with the limited income I have, and previously have never had to worry about, until now. I've watched as things (manas in particular) that were worth any sort of plat on the broker were stripped away and given to crafters, and their value dropped overnight. I've watched the gear and jewelry on the broker dry up like waterholes in the desert because of the no-trade and heirloom tags, and crafters won't even make the pieces anymore because they're not worth the time to craft. there's no way to give away what I can't use that I've picked up from dungeons, which means i'm forced to break it every single day, because while it could have been useful to someone else, I just can't share it. I've watched the addition of little things that folks pay hugely for every year- ascension upgrades, mounts, familiars, mercenary unlocks and levels, that are too expensive to be called nickel and diming the population (standard edition doesn't even get a house painting anymore!!!:( ), while things like true exploration and questing have fallen to the wayside (there hasn't been a true expansion, imo, since tears of veeshan.) everything else just feels watery and shallow and well, monotonous. I have stayed for the friends. I have stayed for the decorating. I have stayed for the raiding. I have stayed for wandering around seeing points of the game that are almost obsolete. I have enjoyed hunting various sites for gear that was mentioned only once or twice and was so incredibly rare that it almost couldn't even be found on the internet - but it looked insanely cool! so I did my research! I have helped many people in their questing journeys along the way, from beginner noob to advanced raider, with quests that needed a helping hand, making gear or bags for a new player, or just helping them find a place that was what they were looking for, and folks have done the same for me! (community! yeah!)

the very long point, is that I have spent time (A LOT of time) here in Norrath. But I'm wondering, were those the golden years, and I just didn't know it? I feel as if the game has been stripped away by debtors, credit collectors, and judges who are biased, unforgiving, and don't or won't listen, and left me hanging out on a lonely street, homeless, naked, old, and afraid in the darkness. every day I log on, and listen to others, as they express their sadness, anger, outrage, and disgust, and listen fervently, intensely hoping for more very quiet squeaks, begging, hoping, pleading, that whatever is happening right now, will end soon, and that we can all wake up one day to a very full, very happy server filled with a zillion things to do in a day, that aren't related to daily character maintenance. that one day, alts will break out of the guild halls and see the light of day, as we remember what skills other characters are capable of doing, that aren't our mains, because one day, it might be worth it to be able to play more than one or two characters, and not sell my house or car to do it. forgive me for being a dreamer. I can't help myself. it's like watching a very patient man's dominos fall right before he places the second to last one. this expansion, compared to others, if I could put a sound to it, would be like a train, hitting a car, filled with explosives. I just hope and pray that the devs can pick up the pieces the next go round, and make a peaceful park somewhere. or at least a better semblance of one. :( lately, I feel sad, helpless, and tired when I see the forums and hear the cries. T.S. Elliot says, "I can show you fear in a handful of dust." and lately, sadly, fearfully, I feel that is what I am holding more of every day - a handful of dust. Regretfully sorrowful.
  18. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Seems fitting they'd miss the new crates in patch notes. I'd be embarrassed too.
  19. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

To put this into perspective:

1. Is 'Ergott, Cerulean Terror' a prerequisite or requirement for game content?

2. Is your guild or group judging you for not owning 'Ergott'?

3. Can we expect new mounts in the future?

The only people strongly affected are the min-maxers (people seeking to top parses). Weird fetish, I know.
  20. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

What MercyChalice said x 1000.
    Cyrrena, Jaeded, Argosunited and 2 others like this.