HI WOW convert here just joined yesterday. Have a XP ?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Tadeo, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Tadeo Guest

I just hit lev 10 and people told me to chage my xp to only do quests. Whats with that now it takes me forever to lev but I get to use somting called AA points. Why are there 2 sets on aa like Druid and Fury I dont get that. DO i normaly get aa points when I lev and just do quests becasue i was also mtold you get no AA points when you PVP? How long should I keep doing this with my xp? Help !! This games is so confusing but it seems cool.
  2. ARCHIVED-Yngwiem Guest

Welcome!!
    You get AA points for various things. Leveling won't help you get these though.
    You can get AA points from: Doing quests that are level 10+. Discovering new places. Killing named mobs. Looting rare treasures.
    For the best information on AA points, I would suggest visiting your Class forum about AA's. There will be posts about how to spend AA points. How you spend them depends on how you play (group or solo).
    Not sure about AA's and PvP.
  3. ARCHIVED-Faroek Guest

I played EQ2 when it first came out for a few months and only recently returned myself and recently had the same question.

There seem to be basically three types of XP now. Level, Trade and Achievements (AA).

Level XP is what you are used to (Kill stuff, do quests, go up in level and get more spells/abilities)
    Tradeskill XP is entirely separate and outside of this discussion
    Achievement XP is the new game in town and wasn't in EQ2 when I played...

1) You gain Achievement XP by doing certain quests, killing certain named mobs, turning in collection quests and discovering things in the game. (Maybe more things, mouse over the Achievement XP bar and it'll say how you gained the points you have) - This is INDEPENDENT of leveling. Leveling from 1 to 80 by just killing mobs and you may not get one single AA

2) You have two trees of Achievements (Often called AAs) - One like Druid which is shared amongst all "Druid" classes I think and one that is specific to YOUR chosen class (Fury in your case) - You can spend your points amongst those two in any way you like. All in one. All in the other. Whatever you want

3) Since you get XP *AND* AA points for doing *GREEN* or above quests, people often turn off their Combat XP so they can stay the same level longer, and do MORE quests. You basically level slower but gain AA faster. Grey quests don't give you AA's

What I did is play with Combat XP turned on till about 17 then ditched that char and RESTARTED in a new area. I don;t always have combat XP turned off, but most of the time I do. I then bounce back and forward between two areas I know and level solely through quests. Slower but the quests are pretty fun
  4. ARCHIVED-Tadeo Guest

cool thanks for the help. I had one question tho do i get more aa points with combat turned off ? or is there a AA point limit?
  5. ARCHIVED-Vendolyn Guest

No you don't gain more AA xp with combat turned off. There's a cap of 100 AAs (50 per tree) until level 70, where the cap raises to 140 (70 per tree).
  6. ARCHIVED-Tadeo Guest

so with combat turned off do you just get the points faster? If i just PVP and do some quests like normal will I get the same amount of AA pointsbuy the time I hit lev 70 and 80??
  7. ARCHIVED-Kanesh_The_Mad Guest

Tadeo wrote:
    By turning combat xp off, you gain more AAs per level because your normal levels go slower. You gain AAs at the same rate, just more per level because of that
  8. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

There are also two schools of thought on ap's Either a) turn off combat XP and just do quests till you finished them all and need a level or two to the next bracket, or B) just don't worry about it cause when you hit 70 part of your xp goes to ap's ANYWAYS, and also at 80 you can gain ap's alot faster. Really the choice comes back to you. I PERSONALLY turned off my combat xp for alot of the lower levels till i finially got the quests done in the area. Realize I wasn't concerned about leveling fast, didn't care about being max level sort of thing. Also while doing that it helped me level both my provisioner and my sage (creates priest spells) at the same time. Granted i took the slower road, for my first time in eq2 I think it was right for ME. For you hard to say, you really have to make that choice.

Good luck which ever path you so choose to take.
  9. ARCHIVED-Wilde_Night Guest

Also, keep in mind that the use of AA is stunted on PvP servers. On PvE servers you can earn and use as many as you want at whatever level you want. This caused an imbalance on the PvP servers and now you can earn as many as you want, but you can only use 1.5 x your level. So at level 10, your max assigned points are 15.
  10. ARCHIVED-Lortet Guest

Just a bit worried about "just hit lvl 10" and "takes me forever to lev". Level 10 takes only about 1 hour if you go for it or a few if you stop to smell the flowers. Once you reach lvl 40 - 50 you may get bored to tears if you think it is slow now.
  11. ARCHIVED-Araxes Guest

There is no reason to keep your combat XP turned off. As you complete quests that are Green or other color in your journal, you gain Achievement Points (AP -- "AA" is actually the hangover term from EQLive where it was called "Alternate Advancement.") You can then spend those on your class or subclass trees.

Having combat XP turned off is something people do only so that they can do as many quests as possible per level, without having any content gray out and thereby no longer award AP or XP.

But you won't have any problems gaining AP, assuming you are following the standard quest lines, regardless of whether combat XP is enabled or disabled.
  12. ARCHIVED-Rqron Guest

Fact is, the only reason some people turn combat XP off is to level SLOWER so they are able to do ALL the quests available...I call them questaholics..:=)). If you want to level fast turn your combat XP back on and worry about the AAs later. There is enough time later to get all the AAs you want.

J.C.
  13. ARCHIVED-Soulforged_Unrest Guest

Tadeo wrote:
    Just to sum up and add a bit to what everyone said:
    Taking the example of a fury: There are two sets of AA trees, (Druid and Fury) because the Druid tree came out with the Kingdom of Sky expansion, and the Fury tree came out in the Echoes of Faydwer expansion.

Gaining AA xp: killing nameds (only the first time counts), doing quests (again, only the first time counts), discovering new locations on maps, and doing collection quests.

The reason for level-locking is: there are so many quests at any level that if you don't have combat xp turned off, you won't see them all. And that is a potential AA xp loss unless you have someone thats willing to let you mentor them to do quests at lower levels. If you're on pvp, having more AA than your opponent (through locking your levels and doing more quests) was a huge bonus in combat. However SOE made a change recently to PvP system where they can't level lock anymore.

You do get AA xp when you level normally, because you're bound to do some quests, kill some names, and explore some map locations.

IMO: level locking isn't that useful on PvE, because there's nothing that really really needs the AA. On PvP, the only way that you can simulate a level lock is to for example: unequip your gear, die a dozen times to make up a massive amount of xp debt, then go out and do your quests, but imo you're going to gain a fair amount of aa xp just from leveling up, and was said earlier, when you're at the level cap, your normal combat xp gets transferred towards your AA xp.
  14. ARCHIVED-Iamken Guest

My suggestion would be to leave Combat XP on. Focus on completing quests and XP and AA's will roll in naturally. Just don't grind mobs for the sole purpose of XP unless for some weird reason you run out of quests.
  15. ARCHIVED-fieldsleeper Guest

I dont know if this has been posted, but AA's are essentially the equivalent of Talents in WoW. You will use them to make your charactor unique, or follow tried and trued builds that may up DPS, Healing, or a handful of other abillities. In the EQ universe you get AA's from doing quest, picking up certain loot, and encountering named mobs for the first time. When you hit L you can see your AA exp and number of points available. AA only becomes available after level 10, and for quest 10 +
  16. ARCHIVED-Jida Guest

My advice is to Hit up some of the reference sites (one is in my sig) outside the main boards and review the information contained within.
  17. ARCHIVED-Kursa Guest

Tadeo wrote:
    No offense, but don't take that advice. It's the worse ever. Did you get that advice from the lvl 1-9 channel :p
    Seriously, do not worry about your AA points. They will come naturally from questing, experiencing new areas, and killing Named NPCs.
    Don't have to turn off your xp bar. Don't do that. That's horrible someone told you to do that. You'll do just fine playing and doing the quests
  18. ARCHIVED-EndDream Guest

if i play in a PvE server can i just decide to never turn off combat experience?? i dont think i have the patience to wait especially because i wanna actually play with people and since the game is out a while that means i need to level up quite a bit before i can run quests with people...
    will that my character automativly gimped for my lvl?
  19. ARCHIVED-Michaela06 Guest

I too turn my combat xp off at level 10. That way I can do the starter quests in Darklight woods, Greater Faydark and Tim Deep. Get some great gear for my level range, (especially in Tim Deep I suggest doing the quests there regardless of your xp choice). Then I loop back to Darklight Woods for the higher ones because you do get great xp from turning green and above quests. You will level at a good pace with just quest and exploration xp.

But thats just me, I like the content more than the level gains. I think the system is flawed since jsut by doing a city task ro many quests, the mobs you kill on one quest cal anmost get you a level, quickly greying out the majority of quests in your log.

Also, I look for a particular AA ability that will give me a great edge in my class abilities. The class Im playing now is a Brigand, and he has nearly 55 AA's at level33 which Im pretty proud of.
  20. ARCHIVED-Michaela06 Guest

EndDream wrote:
    Not at all! On AB theres always groups going on and if you have friends that you like grouping with mentoring is an awsome system. And many people appreciate the oppritunity to mentor because they can get AA on the nameds they may have missed or justhave another shot at there drops. I love mentoring.

Yes you certainly can decide to never turn off your combat xp.