healing....

Discussion in 'Priests' started by revengetoall, Jun 26, 2014.

1. revengetoall Member

hi all,good day.sooutofcuriosity if someone wanted to get back into thegame and work towars progression and end game content what are 2 the better healers to help one have a simpler time but also be useful at the same time and not a waste of time for playing that char.. start fresh char or push on with a lowbie?
  2. Jjeorge Member

Druids are the current flavor, specifically Warden. But since I hate easy healing, this means I personally would play my Templar first, if I could be bothered to play endgame right now.
  3. revengetoall Member

so druids the easier, but you prefer Templar over all?
  4. Jjeorge Member

No, I'm a masochist so I would prefer Templar. Druids are easier, and have more DPS and utility to boot.
  5. revengetoall Member

ok thanks again
  6. revengetoall Member

no one has insight on others just druids "wardens/fury" , Templar... continuing my research through forums see what I come up with
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

As with all classes, the different healers fall in and out of apparent favor with the general populace with each expansion of the game and reworking of abilities/alternate advancement points.

Currently in a raid/high end group setting the two shaman are at the bottom of the barrel (or were last time I bothered looking ;) ) I think druids are currently on the higher end. Channelers require the expansion and clerics are somewhere in the middle to upper ability.
    What that comes down to is that a players personal skill at playing has to be much higher currently for the shaman (defiler/mystic) to do well in the highest content than with the other standard healing classes. By the time any class you pick today reaches the upper reaches of the current game we might have the next expansion which will be raising the cap to 100 and very likely will have a different healer class being the Flavor of choice.

That doesn't mean anything at all for the other 94 ish levels of play though. Any healer class is a good healer class.

My advice is to pick one YOU like the mechanics of and stick with it. I've played a mystic from release back when we were kind of crap because our wards (a class specific preventative heal) didn't take into account the mitigation of the people we healed and mystics were pretty much hands down the worst damage. I remember my damage spells casting so slowly the mobs would be dead before I got in any damage, so I stopped casting damage and just melee'd back in the days before meleeing mystics was an real option. I stuck with it because I wanted to be good-aligned and really liked the idea of how wards worked, blocking damage before it even landed, like the enchanter runes from the original Everquest I'd played before. There've been ups and downs with the class but I still enjoy it and since I no longer raid I don't have to worry about the fact they aren't the best of the best currently as raid healers.
  8. revengetoall Member

thanks for the explanation but ihave a couple questions. one as mystic being wards aren't obsolete but aren't as good before does it just come down to knowing when dmg is going to happen and for how much to know when to get that heal started or alittle more to it? haven't checked in much to it but when I last played you had good evil neutral each with specific classes available now it seems that you can mix match any class with any race/alignment or did I just get lucky and happened to pick one that is able to do that now and not all can?
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

Wards (and reactives) last for 30 seconds or until they get 'used up'. For non-trivial content, they are generally 'kept up' as much as possible. It's not a matter of knowing when damage is coming and tossing them so much as casting them when they're available.
    Finora likes this.
  10. revengetoall Member

cast wards when available and throw heals in between, so pretty much pay attention to surrondings and your different timers... understood
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

As for class alignment:

Healers-- Mystic is good. Defiler is evil. The other five are neutral.
    Fighters-- Shadowknight is evil, paladin is good. The other four are neutral.
    Scouts-- Brigand is evil, swashbuckler is good. The other five are neutral.
    Mages-- Conjurer is good, necro is evil. The other four are neutral.

If you rolled up on Nagafen server all classes can be of either alignment ( I'm pretty sure, it's been a long time since I played on Nagafen at all).
  12. Izzy New Member

so what ive got so far templar is the best for raid/quest/dd's... need more info.... ill check other sites and see what i find
  13. revengetoall Member

14. Arieste Well-Known Member

I don't know where you got that, but with current content that is absolutely wrong.

Atm, Druids - both of them - have best DPS, best heals, most in-combat utility and most useful out of combat utility. THere is absolutely nothing that any healer can do that a Warden can't do better. You can do any top raid without the presense of any of any of the healers except druids, you absolutely cannot do top content without druids.
  15. Jjeorge Member

There is a HUGE, HUGE difference between "I'd choose Templar because I avoid FoTM as a rule" and "ZOMG Templars are beast." I said the 1st, but somehow it got interpreted as the second.

Templars have a lot of healing power, and, aside from the druids, are probably the best healers out there... (With the possible exception of a Channeler who knows what he is doing.) But, that's still aside from the Druids... Even the offensive Druid can heal better than Templar, while having more cures, better DPS, better buffs, and more ways to flat prevent heavy damage from happening.

Like Arieste said, Druids do pretty much everything better than Templar. But since they are *so* FoTM, and I like to challenge myself when it comes to healing, I'd choose the Templar for myself to play over the druids. But if I were playing any other class, I would feel much safer with a Druid in group then I would with a Templar.

But, I also don't raid current content, so if you're planning on doing that, I'd just go with a Druid and call it a day, especially if you really don't care about the playstyle of the class.
  16. Mktavish01 Member

Honestly if your this worried about picking the right healer so you can raid ... it would seem you might end up not being raid worthy material. Because like stated before ... just going for the flavor of the month won't last ... or be apparent that's your goal within the group eventually.

Pick a Class that Speaks to You! Because then you will probably take the time to study it and become Good.
    Malleria likes this.
  17. Arieste Well-Known Member

Getting into a raid force isn't all about being good. When every raid force needs 4 druids and 0 of any other specific healer, it's just basic math that you'll have an easier time getting into a raid on a druid. It's always been that way for tanks too, I will warn just about everyone to avoid making a tank their first toon if they want to group/raid, if only because being a tank requires being VERY GOOD at being a tank, while being another class just being average will get you into groups/raids. (on utility classes, just breathing can be enough)

And if one is just starting at the game - especially a long established one like EQ2, or making their first character, there is nothing wrong with them giving themselves every advantage. One can always roll a fun alt later.
  18. Luzionist Active Member

I do hope that they give a little bit of love to the shamans however the druids do deserve their time in the spotlight
  19. Arieste Well-Known Member

i don't buy that "we're making up for lost time" argument for druids. zerkers - yes, druids - absolutely not. druids have been needed and wanted in raids as long as i can remember. their utility and dps has always made them useful.
    Treiko likes this.
  20. Daalilama Well-Known Member

This anti-Templar bigotry has just gotta stop.....

In all seriousness Finora is correct play the style of healer that appeals to you...and Templar does bring more to the table than just heavy heals....if you not sure test a few classes out for a bit till you find one that fit your style.
    Aurellie likes this.