Halas and the Crusade for Bare Knees

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Seidhkona, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Gisallo Guest

Tisera@Unrest wrote:
    Vahlen actually. He stated in a post a few years back that New Halas had yet to be revealed and when it was we would meet and here the tales of the Barbarians and the great enemy they fought to preserve their home. A LOT of the lore based stuff coming out in the game even now is out of his "sketch book". Also who other than Barbarians would call it "New Halas"? Be kinda like people from france settle a new land and calling it "New England" wouldn't it?
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    WTH is with the head? Frogloks arn't suppose to have necks!
  3. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

For Froglocks and possibly Iksar, Magically stabilized and colored Treesap Kilts (aka natural Latex) or the hides of water creatures.
  4. ARCHIVED-Arbreth Guest

*weeps*
    I think my little reddish and black mottled Kerra Mystic would look wonderful in a blue and green tartan! At least I would not have to worry about Puppy shedding all over it. With this desire for kilts, though I must also hope that the tops, or lack thereof, is set as a seperate option. She may want to wear a halter type one day, or a midriff, or something totally different, and I am heartily tired of the one piece only options we have.
  5. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Arbreth wrote:
    I do believe there are already a few Multi-Piece Robes out there, that came as part of the LS revamp. Though more = Better.
  6. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

kela wrote:
    zero
    The T3 shard robe "shows" a different kind of bottom, but it is still a single piece that covers chest, legs, and arms. The same for the new faction and the 2 new items of that same appearance in Station Cash brought in later.
    There are zero multi piece robes.
    There are a FEW tunics/vests that can be worn by cloth users, but these are identical to leather vests and even a few 'chain' vests. Those tunic/vests are the only ones, in cloth, that display arms and legs and don't cover all three slots with one item.
    Ironically the same is true for gi, with them also, generally, 'covering' hands and feet as well, but it's not as much of an issue, kinda, for gi because there are actually four (or is it five) different variety of them with only one robe for 4+ years with a second one recently added (with WoE).
  7. ARCHIVED-Froed2004 Guest

Personally I think kilts should be specific to barbarians. In fact, what I'd like to see is an original racial set for each of the different races in the game. Maybe what they could do would be to make a spell available in the racial traits that summons a crate of no-trade appearance only armor. Only the race would be able to cast it, and it can't be traded, so the devs only have to worry about sizing it to that specific race. That would give them the ability to concentrate solely on that specific race, and that would also mean only having to work with 2 versions of each set (male/female) rather than the current overbloated numbers per piece caused by having to fit it to all the races and their male/female versions.
    Just a thought.
  8. ARCHIVED-Arbreth Guest

Fayle@Mistmoore wrote:
    My main is a Kerra, and I have a baby Ratonga somewhere, these two have fur and there is not a racial outfit for them that I am aware of, but sure, let my girls run about nekkid and without the ugly rags if we cannot have kilts. :)
  9. ARCHIVED-Gisallo Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    The point is its a technical possibility. For weapon appearance it was originally coded to be 1 handed slashing "real" equipped, 1 handed slashing could only be equipped in appearance and actually show up. It would not be to hard to make a line of code that says "only equip if race is X" just as it is not hard to say "only equip this piece of chain armor if class is X". Now one could get into a MORAL or ethical argument about whether its fair to make race based appearance item, this I will more than happily grant you, but to say its a technical impossibility simply isn't true, the only trueism there is that it hasn't been done...YET.
    I think this would be a fine and cool idea IF every race had race appropriate appearance items. I have always thought it odd that human armor and clothing is stylisticly identical to all the other races, even races that lore wise have been seperated from Qeynos for say 500 years or weren't even know to exist (ello Fae). Heck in the real world, French, English and Italian armor didn't look the same and these people had almost constant contact of some sort unlike the history of Norrath where Faydwer and Kunark were "lost". Note I am NOT talking about doing this for drop items, this would be insane coding wise, but to give crafters, and maybe some faction merchants the ability to sell racially specific appearance items woul be not only a good idea from a lore stand point, but its technically possible if not yet used. You just add a line of code making it equippable based on race and not class, a VERY easy line of code to add to a specific item.
  10. ARCHIVED-Gamer1965 Guest

What about SARNAK's eh ??? Let's see the Kilt !!! ;)
  11. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

Galibier@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Unless you work on the game you can not say what or will not be an easy bit of code to implement. If it was super-easy they probably would have already made race-only clothing. After all, you could make a set for each of the races without having to worry about making it fit each of the race's models then (which is a common complaint about the time it takes to make new armor and was one of the reasons the original skeletal revamp was started, before it was stopped).
  12. ARCHIVED-Froed2004 Guest

Arbreth wrote:
    Kerra from eq1 originally wore a more tribal island outfit with bone neklaces, loincloths and the like. I imagine they could easily recreate the feel in a more proper form using some styles from places like Hawaii to get the tropical islander feel back. As for Ratonga, they and a few other races are new to the game, but its not too hard to come up with something that fits them. Kilts are great and all.... but just like in real life, I suspect some races may frown upon their men wearing what they'd consider skirts, and more importantly, I don't want to be traumatized by trolls and ogres running around in them on a daily basis.
    Another way to solve the issue, rather than making a spell, is to make an npc in each starting town that gives you the armor based on your race. Again, make it no-trade/ appearance only. You don't have to code an item to be equipable by a specific race if the other races can't even get it to begin with.
  13. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

Fayle@Mistmoore wrote:
    That would have been a stop-gap measure at best before, but now with the ability to change your race coming in via the marketplace that would not work (unless they are given some crappy generic appearance for all other races).
  14. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Bloodfang@Nagafen wrote:
    I was gonna say, I want kilts, but I also want EQ original-human-model chainmail buttfloss.

[IMG]

gah. I necroposted. Forgive me, oh Mistress.
  15. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

Arbreth wrote:
    heh iksar and sarnak should be able to get away with that to.

and heh i love this topic. i had almost forgoten about it.
  16. ARCHIVED-Wilde_Night Guest

Kilts for Barbarians! Red Bikini's for Dark Elves! Underwear with pine trees for Wood Elves!!!
  17. ARCHIVED-Neskonlith Guest

You all have spoken loudly and clearly, and SOE has listened!
    The crusade for bare knees has yielded us pantless gnomes and halflings in raids.

Congratulations on a job well done, people!

18. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

Neskonlith wrote:
    then dont look down? honistly its not like its eye level or even close.
    but bleh that is ew... the idea of most mammles pantsless is bleh.
    and likly not many want to see the reptiles pantsless eather. that why i just want kilts or shorter pants.
    all that stripe pattern going to waste...
  19. ARCHIVED-Beef_Supreme Guest

Bumping this thread because this is a big issue to me...

I've been a Barb for almost all of my 8+ years in Norrath (EQ1 and 2) and the kilts are a big part of the look and feel of this race. Tartan plaid just fits, and I would like to throw in my support for even the slightest chance of getting an appearance item or two that really fit this awesome race.

C'mon,
    GIVE US THE KILTS!

DO IT FOR THARKIS!
  20. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest