Guild Leader Missing

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by puppybreath, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Darkon Well-Known Member

Senior officer can be used without risking the other person demote you.

Making someone a leader gives them equal power/authority regardless of who payed the 5 silver to 'create' the guild.
  2. Kuulei Well-Known Member

The current system works well and is about as fair as possible.
    There have been a few posts about this same issue and all you can do is live and learn. If you don't want to possibly lose something you started, don't make someone a leader. You can give them as much access as a "leader" with a rank just under leader. That's why there are ways to customize what each rank can do.
    I am sorry the OP waited so long to try and rectify their situation and that they were kicked by the current leader.. again.

All you can do is find a new home or create a new one (reading your post, you rejoined the guild more than a year later, were you unguilded during this time? if not, perhaps return to your previous guild)
  3. Kuulei Well-Known Member

4. Xentin Member

So I have recently come across a similar situation. The difference for mine however was a GM did give my guild to someone else while I was deployed 5 years ago. I got an e-mail saying officers and 10+ members had petitioned from my not being there to have a new leader put in place and it has been granted. Being deployed I didn't get that email until I got home months later. After the guild died one of the hijackers actually sold it for plat to 3 botters. These botters quit when ToV released and not a single account has been logged in since. I have even called stating as the original founder of the guild it should be returned to me considering I never promoted anyone and with the help of a GM it was hijacked from me. They refuse to do so though because that would be in conflict with current leaders even though they were bot farmers and haven't logged in for 9 months. Somewhere along the line the policy has changed, probably because they got tired of trolls and grievers trying to steal guilds. I remember in EQ1 and even in early EQ2 through atleast KoS being able to petition as a member for leadership if they had not been on in 60+ days. It sucks because the guild still has all of my stuff including a guild hall full of things I crafted 5 years ago. Tough pill to swallow but not much you can do about it.
  5. suka Well-Known Member

it sucks big time, but at least there is a process, unfair as it may be. in LOTRO, if you are in a guild, and open the guild window, there is a "usurp" button. with no warning to the leader, all anyone has to do is choose "usurp" and then they can become the new guild leader. they can then get rid of anyone who might usurp them. i often wonder how many good guilds have been stolen that way. for that reason, i only have my own toons and my family in my guild on LOTRO.

The process in eq1 is way better. you simply can't take the guild away without permission from the owner. in fact, when i moved the leader of my guild to another server but forgot they were the founder and leader, i had to petition to get a new leader put in their place. i had to prove i owned the guild and that the toon i was promoting was also my own. the guild remains with the account. you can't delete it unless you founded it and you can't create another guild on that server in that account unless the first one is deleted. that seems to me to be the simplest solution to guild ownership. it is simply wrong and unfair to be able to steal a guild.

and before everyone jumps back on the bandwagon of no one person owns the guild, consider this. what person would ever create a guild and invite other people into it if it could be easily taken away? it simply is unfair. in eq1, because guilds are account based and anyone with an account can create their own guild, there is some protection. why shouldn't the same safeguards and protections be in eq2. why should anyone ever be able to outright steal a guild. i don't even believe that guilds should be sold. plain and simple, it should be account based and the founder should always have precedence over anyone else. they should be able to safely appoint co-leaders without the fear that the guild will ever be stolen from them. if a group of people don't like how the guild is run, let them go make their own guild- not steal an existing one.
  6. Katz Well-Known Member

What you should do is have a second rank right under the guild leader (owner) and give them the power to do what is needed to run the guild if the guild leader is absent but not able to demote the leader or disband the guild.
    Lateana and suka like this.
  7. suka Well-Known Member

some would day that is the senior officer but there are other things a senior officer can do besides step in as acting leader. i would like to see a rank like you are talking about- kind of like a vice leader.

the reason such a rank is important to me is for much the same reasons any other guild leader should consider it. if i can't be on for any reason, someone has to be able to take over the guild until i get back. luckily i have someone i trust for that. but it is hard to know if you can trust people. people you thought you could trust can suddenly change their personality or maybe sometimes their true colors show out.

i have bad health. i never know when or if i will be incapacitated. i do know that i am looking at a surgery in the near future but hopefully there won't be complications that keep me away from the game. other people may get deployed, their computer may break down and they can't afford to replace it right away. or they may be in another area for an extended time like another country or an extended vacation. you never really know what the future holds. if you are using the guild for only your toons, then no problem. but if you have opened your guild up to other people, then you have to consider that they may need leadership while you are gone.

so it is really a necessary thing - having someone you can leave your guild with who can't demote you or steal your guild. but if a gm steps in and helps them steal it from you, that is a different story. in real life, a judge would never help an unscrupulous group steal your business or church. or organization. the fact that the officials of this game would do so makes you wonder who you can really trust. so even if they had such a rank, a gm can come in and override you and take it away from you. something really should be done about that. if it had happened to me, i would want to know the name of the gm and then i would start my complaints with him and go up the ladder to whoever i could get to talk to me. too bad there is no ingame legal department to police the gms
  8. Darkon Well-Known Member

Senior Officer can be vice leader.
  9. Texana New Member

Unfortunately there are a lot of folks who get their fun from taking over other guilds by stealth. Years ago I was a co-leader in a guild. The other person took a leave of absence and eventually returned. However, after a few weeks she logged on in the middle of the night and kicked everyone from the guild, then deleted the guild. It was a shock but not much could be done about it. A few years later I was one of six guild leaders when an unscrupulous so-and-so sweet talked one of the leaders into becoming a guild leader without consulting the other leaders. Needless to say the new guild leader removed all the original leaders in the middle of the night. Currently I am in a guild whose leader just got sweet talked into letting a guy become a co-guild leader. The guy has a bot guild and talked her into a merger. I expect the original guild leader will be demoted soon. At least this time its not my guild, but it is sad to see.
    suka likes this.
  10. Grundge Active Member

Come on people, I know this is a video game, but honestly let's try to exercise some common sense. Knowing the power that come with guild leadership, why in the world would you feel the need to make someone else a co-leader? Unless you wanted to give the guild to someone else, then I dont see why you would do such a thing. Because he was your friend?

Sorry to hear that happened OP, but don't blame SoE. Also, you shouldn't be buying guilds real money,that is just asking for disaster to strike.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

yes very. what is really sad is that other leaders don't listen to the voice of experience and therefore learn nothing. everyone thinks it can't happen to them. kicking everyone and then deleting in the middle of the night is cold though. too bad there was no recourse.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

it is one thing to make a mistake and pay for it. it is quite another to have a gm steal a guild from you and give it away. i know xentin is not the op, but i can see a number of ways his scenario is wrong and he has a legitimate gripe.

the one consolation is that in eq2, unless you make someone a leader, it usually can't happen. it only happens if you trust someone enough to make them co-leader and then they stab you in the back. unless a gm involves themselves and gives your guild away. i would have been screaming and hopping mad if a gm did that to me.

i would hate for our guilds to be like the LOTRO guilds though. the alt that i usurped my own guild with just to see if it could be done was not the leader or even a leader. she was only a member. luckily it was my own guild and my own alt. but it opened my eyes to what can happen in a game like LOTRO and any other game that doesn't value the guild leader's position.

I don't have "original" members other than myself. when i created the guild, i really had no plans to open it up for membership. that kind of happened because people were sending me tells asking me to. the members i have now i wouldn't trade for the world. although we accept other people, we don't really actively recruit. my co-leader has proven himself trustworthy. we had a scare though when we had another co-leader who got mad at us. he didn't log off at his usual time and so several members stayed on to see what would happen. he ended up leaving the guild, but when i found out about his unusual behavior we had a meeting and agreed that no other co-leaders would be allowed. luckily he is a rather honest person so in spite of his getting mad i was pretty confident he wouldn't have stolen the guild. makes you wonder though.
  13. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

And this is possibly why some folks build little guilds or vanity alt guilds, so when the big guild goes haywire with co-leader drama, they have a place to fall back to.
    Awkk, Xillean, Lateana and 2 others like this.
  14. Texana New Member

An update on the guild I am in now. You guessed it, the original guild leader is now gone and I left the bot run guild :(
    suka likes this.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

what server are you on? if you are on butcherblock, we are not the most active guild but we would accept you. it seems that soe is amused every time someone stages a coup on a guild no matter how it affects other people.
    Lateana and Kuulei like this.
  16. Kuulei Well-Known Member

If you're on Everfrost, I have a nice quiet alt guild <I Like Pie> with most amenities and enough status on the door for the next 6-7 years. A crafter's haven and anyone is welcome: old, returning, new and alts.
    Katz, Lateana, suka and 1 other person like this.
  17. suka Well-Known Member

yeah it seems there are quiet crafting guilds on every server that welcome any playstyle and only want to help those who need them. we are the same way. you just have to find the one on your server. i would suggest asking around.
    Lateana likes this.
  18. Feldon Well-Known Member

I have an alt guild just for this purpose. We always have a home to go back to.
    Awkk, Xillean, Niboota and 4 others like this.
  19. isest Active Member

Well something has changed at daybreak we had a missing guild leader so I sent a petition. This is the answer I got.
    "
    Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (SOE Customer Service)
    02/20/2015 05:01 PM
    Hello,

Unfortunately this is not a service the Game Masters provide. If a leader is gone, please create your own guild to run or find another guild on the server that meets your needs.

The Daybreak Games Team"
  20. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Well that was cold.