Gold Membership

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feara, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Shazbot Active Member

SoE has a very complicated path to navigate here. They need to have Gold memberships be attractive without turning off people who would rather pay in other ways. The reason F2P went active in the first place is that Gold memberships were not a lucrative enough revenue stream for the game moving forward. Everything that SoE does has to reflect this continuing fact.

I really think the ultimate solution will be to do away with Gold memberships entirely. I think that's where the market and the MMO genre is moving and I think it is inevitable that this is where we will wind up. That's a very scary notion for the bean counters though. They're probably seeing a continual decline in Gold membership revenue but cutting the string on subscriptions just feels like giving up guaranteed revenue, even though that revenue is likely on the way out anyway.
  2. Maltaros Active Member

The problem with this is that sometimes you need to change out characters for reason other than SLR. One player has to drop the group for valid personal reasons, you get half way through and realize the setup is wrong are the two big ones that come to mind.
    Alenna likes this.
  3. Shel Member

Or you could lock the characters on the kill.
  4. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

I applaud SoE's decisions to free up the restrictions on the other accounts. Yay. More people playing (hopefully).

I actually want more people to play this game, gold sub or not. I want the player base back that it had in its glory days - 2k+ people per server... and having to wait a couple of minutes to log in due to over-population. If the vehicle to get more players to EQ2 is by making these changes, then so be it. Otherwise, eq2 will just be the last little turd swirling around in the bottom of the toilet bowl waiting on the vacuum to suck it down forever.

Does SoE run the risk of losing my measly 15 bucks a month? Sure. But I'm not on the other end of the game looking at statistics. I'm betting that the f2p / silver accounts make up the majority of players - who are, by nature of the account, pay more than 15 bucks a month to keep playing.

I'll keep paying my 15 bucks, thank you. I don't really expect anything extra either. You see, I'm of the mentality that over the last 8 years I've played in Norrath for hours.. and hours.. and hours... has been WELL worth my measly 15 bucks. I'll keep buying extra SC cards too - as well as buying Krono to sell. Why not? The game is great. I enjoy playing it.

When will I close my sub? When SoE stops adding content, or I win. Either or.
    Shadrac likes this.
  5. Feara Well-Known Member

Very well said.

You are totally right about attracting NEW gold memebers. I have been working on a new player (old friend-EQ1 Vet) that has the potential to bring 3-5 others and then more from them. With the announcement I was like crap SoE your jacking with the Recruitment Program, you know the one you just rolled out? How can I sell Gold when you just deflated it? Anyway I just told my friend to hold for now, might not be worth paying Gold after all.

Glad for the HC roll out, that way I don't totally lose him while they try to figure it out.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  6. Quabi Active Member

I could be wrong, but I think you get the recruit rewards if they just make any purchase of $10 USD or more. So if they pre-order ToV or buy 1000 SC (maybe for an AoD feature, ect), you should be set for your rewards.

I was looking into the program the other day, but unfortunately, my friend logged on as F2P before I officially "recruited" him, so I don't think he's eligible anymore, heh.
    Feara likes this.
  7. Shadrac Well-Known Member

Yeah, the way I see it, I'm paying the same price today as I did yesterday, except today I'm getting 15% more gold and 10% faster travel speed.
  8. Feara Well-Known Member

lol - your right.

Selling Gold is my personal recommendation because it is was the better option.
    I'm not doing it for the rewards (just a bonus) but I did want to check it out and see how it worked and if it was a cool program.
  9. Shadrac Well-Known Member

So, you're saying that it's easier for you to recruit new players to a $15/month game than a free game?

EDIT: Oh, you're probably talking about the recruitment rewards you get. Never mind.
  10. Shadrac Well-Known Member

If F2P is now so close to the subscriptions that players no longer see the value in paying, then players should be celebrating.

And there are many reasons to lay people off. I didn't see any reports that the corporation is short of cash.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

And if everybody is playing without paying, how will SoE be able to afford to keep the servers running?
    Alenna and Wirewhisker like this.
  12. Feara Well-Known Member

EQ2 was not always F2P.

Yes, everyone I play with pays Gold. Yes, its much easier to sell a game thats worth a sub=worth playing.
    Players that have left EQ2 that I talk to have went to other games, F2P or not, don't seem to hold their interest very long.

EQ2 is worth its sub, always has been.

Age might have something to do with Shadrac. I paid like $80.00 for Phantasy Star on the Sega Genesis long before F2P was born. Took me a year to beat it. I'd say I got my moneys worth out of it.
  13. Kalika Well-Known Member

I believe that the SC is used by many people, i only used it to get
    a) a permanent pink dragon illusion staff, b) some summoning gems and that's all.

But each time there is a new mount/armor I see people wearing it all over the place,
    also the price of master is down to almost zero. This mean that people probably buy research speed up.

I would be interested in seeing SOE accouting books (those are certainly public since the compagny do have stockholders)
    to see how revenues are distributed. May be the situation is 90% SC and 10% gold sub ...
  14. Shadrac Well-Known Member

Some people will pay for ALL ACCESS PASSes, and some will pay for Silver and Gold subscriptions, and some will pay for expansions, and some will pay for SC, and some will buy EQ-related and licensed stuff in RL stores.
    Gnaff likes this.
  15. Alenna Well-Known Member

I buy them on sale also so yes I could do that but I heard way back that there is a limit on how many extra characters you can have on a silver account

RadarX can you check on that for me?
  16. Shadrac Well-Known Member

You're right. There is a measurable psychological phenomena whereby people can be repelled by prices that are too low or free.

17. Alenna Well-Known Member

What you don't understand is that if that piece of armour is good for someone in the raid force who had to sit out for that particualar zone or fight because another class was needed that person who had to sit out but is a part of the RAID force is SOL on getting the armor that the raid force needs them to have.. so no you wantint to halt SLR by such draconian means that would not be a good option for Gold. Now do you get unless you can mkae sure that those that have to Sit out on a fight or a zone because a different class is needed can get the aromour using hte RAid machanics not broker it will make it harder on Raiders which are also players that SoE wants to keep. find away that will not harm the raid forces
  18. Alenna Well-Known Member

been answered already many times on why that would not work in the many threads started from those of you who have no idea what true raiding is. go look those threads up.
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

Silver is a one time fee, not a subscription. And the whole point of the discussion is making sure gold offers enough value that new players will think it worth the money.
    Kraeref likes this.
  20. Shadrac Well-Known Member

If they set a "gold member price" on merchants, that would retroactively apply the bonus to all plat in the game.