Gathering Obsession, Part III

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Ardrek, May 17, 2013.

1. suka Well-Known Member

and when you get to thundering steppes and accidentally kill a centaur like my ranger did, don't panic. i know you are now kos but killing a few gnolls will remedy that fast. and don't kill the ones standing by those weird spire looking things- they will abduct you and put you where you don't want to go while gathering.

oh and when you get to thundering steppes, you might find it useful in the future if you take the time to learn the giant language - it can be gotten there- especially if you happen to follow tunare.
    Shamus9 likes this.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

starting with nek and up, it pays to make a stop at the thundering steppes docks to get the hungry hobbit quest while gathering. you get stuff for your house from it and it's fun
  3. suka Well-Known Member

when you get to rivervale, go to the inn where the lady is for the tradeskill epic and clickon the books there to get a book quest- so many things i didn't know my first time around- now i combine quests like lore and legend and shinnies and any house item or heritage quests in the zone while working them- helps me not to get bored while waiting for the next group of lodes to spawn. and use totem of the otter when fishing- a lot of the fish are a bit offshore and can be easily seen under the water if you are swimming
  4. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Interesting, the last time I tried to combine the two quests they would not work together. That was probably a year ago. Are they digging off together now? That is good to know.
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

LOLOL! I was on a guide quest the other week in TS and accidentally ended up in Sundered Splitpaw. Ooops....forgot I should not be hitting those gnolls.
    Shamus9 likes this.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Last I tried it they don't double dip.. you do one then the other. And if the updates go to the hobbit quest first... sad times when it takes those pig meat you need for Gathering Obsession ;) . The halfling quest is good for while you're skilling up AFTER finishing Gathering Obsession or while looking for rares and just clear-cutting.
  7. suka Well-Known Member

yeah they don't double dip and i find that they always do the hobbit first- but i get my fishing out of the way first. i use the quests to give me something constructive to do while leveling my skills so during the earlier times when he takes the fish i don't mind at all.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

btw, you can also get the quest again immediately after the turn in if you aren't finished playing in a zone. i must have done the one in ts about 20 times because i was playing there so i did his quests while playing and the turn-in was easy. i was on my wiz and then my ranger so all i had to do was hit the depart and escape button to get them back to the docks.
  9. Shamus9 Active Member

The first time I set foot in TS was for Qho. I also ended up in Sundered Splitpaw with no clue how it happened. I had some Azure/Shard quest item on me from /claim, and once I got in there I did some of that until I figured out to get out. I am careful about the gnolls by the portals now too!

Being newish, I was not aware meat drops were nerfed. Makes more sense now why I had to spend so long trying to get (please EVEN 1!!!) pig meat to drop. I looked up the divining rod which seems to be only useable by characters higher than my level of 21. :( As this is my first time through EQ2, I don't WANT to wait until I get to 90 & go back although I am sure it would be easier. I am beginning to understand now why Qho is hated so much. :)
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

I don't blame you at all for not wanting to level up. I never bother doing so, I just suggested it as a way to make the quest easier if you hate it. I recently finished up the pony on yet another crafter who is below 30 adventure level.

As for the divining rod, you should be able to use that at level 20 adventuring or crafting. It's called a gnomish divining rod just incase you were looking at something different.

In anycase, good luck. I personally don't mind Qho so much =), but I like to harvest so I do have that in my favor.
    Shamus9 likes this.
  11. Shamus9 Active Member

When I looked up the gnomish divining rod, it showed a level of 44 to use. I am not sure if it meant level 44 crafting or adventuring, but I am about 21(adv)/20(TS) on one character & 27(adv)/20(TS) on another. I figured I would have to wait until 44. If that's not the case, happy happy!

I don't really mean I hate the quest, lol. I was not expecting to get repeatedly stung/stunned in the Nek Forest. That made trying to find the nests a little tricky as I was not level appropriate at the time & didn't know about the wasps. I think the hardest thing for me was how the nests are SO hard to see at all in Nek, and the drop rate on the pig meat was pretty awful. I ended up spending probably 2+ hours after I had everything else just trying to get the pig meat & detouring in Splitpaw.

I like harvesting too. In fact I really love EQ2 all around (except for the pig meat/meat drops-I had no trouble killing the wasps, just didn't see them coming). The reason why I don't want to level too fast is because I am having such a good time, & I don't want to miss anything. This is my first time playing & I want to enjoy it all! :)

Thank you so much for the tips. I will get divining rods & see if I can use them on my little ones. I am having way too much fun!

P.S. What is the flying entity that drops a DOT on you when you are flying through Nek on the griffin? It is purple, but I never could get a good look at it.
  12. Finora Well-Known Member

Nek harvesting gets much better after you know where to go & what types of mobs you will encounter. The wasps are a pain to see so I generally avoid areas where the agro ones are (since I'm quite often harvesting there on someone they are orange or red too). The little mushroom guys are awfully hard to see as well if you don't know to look for them.

The areas near N'Marr's Ascent, Bone Lake & some areas near the wizard spires tend to be the best for lower level characters.

The funky purple dots actually come from the soul sucking globs (I can't remember the names atm) near some of the water ways. They are on the ground but for some reason can reach the griffons when you fly by.

My main is a tinker so before I posted I checked to make sure about the rod. It lists the level as 20 and does not list a class requirement other than that. Just to make sure I pulled up one of my low levels 16 adv/32 crafting and she can use the divining rod so you should be set =).
    Feara and Shamus9 like this.
  13. Shamus9 Active Member

That does it, I am off to play now! Woot! Thank you SO much Finora!! :)

This community is the best. :p As I learn more about the game, I will do everything I can to help keep it friendly & helpful.
    Feara, Karrane and Finora like this.
  14. Karioki Active Member

I try to clear all nodes but I find respawn times unbearably long in Nek. I take the griffon scanning all around with the tab key. When I see a beast den I hop off.
  15. Alenna Well-Known Member

they did once you finish the ToV gathering obsession you can go to mara Island and hire him he's a Monk.
    Finora likes this.
  16. Rotherian Well-Known Member

You do realize that the post that you quoted was from May 24, 2013, right? And that ToV was released around the second week in November* of the same year. (IOW, that content didn't exist when I made the post.) I was aware of the Qho merc when they added it. My memory is a bit hazy that far back, but I think I was one of the testers in Beta for that merc**. (And I did send him against opponents that he didn't stand a chance of defeating - because payback.)

* IIRC, it was somewhere between the 10th and 14th of November.
    ** I was in ToV beta. I just don't remember if hiring that merc was one of the features released with the expansion, or if it was afterwards***.
    *** However, since it is in game now, it doesn't really matter which one it was.
  17. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The merc was released with ToV, but didn't require it.
  18. Sambril Well-Known Member

But since the quest is in Obol plains you will need at least CoE.
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I thought so, but I didn't want to preach it as the gospel since my memory is....well....let's just call it un-elephant-like and then leave it at that. :oops: