Gathering Obsession, Part III

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Ardrek, May 17, 2013.

1. Ardrek Member

I HATE THIS QUEST.

it take 15 min to do the Thundering Steppes portion... you know, the place with almost no trees but a tree branch to be harvested every 5 feet... then it takes 2-3 hours to find something to harvest in Nektulos Forest... where a tree branch can hardly be found.

The worst is the pig & lion meat for both zones but I've run the WHOLE Nektulos map and only found 3-4 dens to trap.
    Mebrhea, Shamus9 and Guiscard like this.
  2. Sambril Well-Known Member

It is my least favorite part of the line, but one thing to remember is not to cherry pick the nodes. You should continue to harvest all node types even after you have what you need from some of them. This is because they all share spawn points (except the fish nodes) in the older zones. So if you just cherry pick dens when all you have left for the quest is the meat you will find fewer and fewer of them as they respawn as different node types.
    Mermut, Shamus9, Finora and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gudum Active Member

Does take a bit of time in Nektulos Forest, but I've not had too much of a problem. Usually go in by wizard spire, and if you are on a ground mount get up on the rock ledge, that way you can avoid most of the mobs. (Thundering Steppes also has a nice harvesting area around its wizard spire)

It will take less time if you raise your harvesting skill as high as possible in an easier zone. That way you only have to harvest each node 3 times, and you tend to harvest more each time. Also, get the woodworker made harvesting kit, the tinkered pickaxe/shear/watersafe net charms, and if you are a tradeskiller, use the pack horse mount from the Butchblock questline,

Locating nodes is a lot easier if you keep hitting the tab key, that will sequence through all the targetable objects near you, and highlight nodes you can't even see (works particularly well for finding fish).

Personally, I always felt the Feerrott was the hardest, but only because I lock my toons at level 10 and level the tradeskill first.
    Feara likes this.
  4. Tasharia Member

Yes this level is why we all HATE Qho and want to hurt him in new and creative ways. Welcome to the club! Another item which can help is the Tinkered Gnomish Divining Rod which tracks harvestables. It has a long reuse timer, but if you use it and leave the window open, as you move around, the nearest harvestables will appear at the top of the window so you can have an idea if there is something near you.
    Shamus9, Feara and Guiscard like this.
  5. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Get 91.
    Come back and track
    Profit! :D
    Filly67 likes this.
  6. Gazrath Member

Bah, I thought Rivervale was worse. The zone is so small and I did it before they increased the harvest nodes there.

My trick for getting through Nek Forest was to spam my Tab button as I ran down the road, cycling through both enemies and harvest nodes, avoiding one and running towards the other. The same trick works in the Feerrott where many of the nodes are hidden under the foliage.

But I think you're meant to hate the quest overall--it's not called "Obsession" for nothing. LOL
  7. suka Well-Known Member

having completed all of these quests on one toon and working on them on the rest, i didn't have much problem. there are traps near the river, in the bear area around the edge of the area near the mountains, and in the area where the succor is located- if you look around the edges of the areas you will find a lot. i also found quite a few up in the giant area and the place near the nek castle. it helps to use a gnomish divining rod. i also found all of these quests very easy once my tradeskiller was maxed and i had the track harvests skill. but my first one did them as she leveled - not too bad.
    Finora likes this.
  8. Filly67 Well-Known Member

So true... although I wish that this had been an option the first 12 times I did it. Or maybe not, with this many alts I clearly enjoy the torture.
    flameweaver and Deveryn like this.
  9. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Vault sale this weekend. You can buy the Qho house item and string him up in a house dungeon if you so desire :D
    suka likes this.
  10. Rotherian Well-Known Member

They ought to make a Qho merc. I'd pay the merc fee over and over just to find new and interesting ways to devise payback.
    Alenna, Shamus9, suka and 1 other person like this.
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

A Qho merc would just run off when things got bad, if it even took two steps into some of these zones.
    Shamus9 and suka like this.
  12. Rotherian Well-Known Member

True. But a guy can dream, can't he? :D
    Shamus9 and suka like this.
  13. Mermut Well-Known Member

A Qho illusion that you can use on others would do the job.. you could make (almost) any merc look like him that way ;)
  14. Finora Well-Known Member

Oh, it's not THAT bad. Pig meat in Nek is annoying but that's mostly because devs caved to players begging for less meats & more pelts from dens prior to the GO quests being added to the game. Mushrooms in Feerott are also a bit of a pain for me for some reason but otherwise it's pretty easy going. RV used to be terrible (worst of them all) but now it's easy peasy.

There are always options to make it easier if you really don't like it:

1) Level up your adventureing as well before doing it so mobs are gray.
    2) Level to 91+ crafting or use a divining rod so you can track nodes
    3) Don't cherry pick.
    4) Make sure you have the bountiful harvest aa's and use a bountiful harvest potion if you have one.
    5) Turn off flora when you are harvesting. Makes seeing the nodes & the shinies easier.
    6) Just don't do the quest if you really hate it. It's not a requirement. It has useful rewards, but certainly isn't needed.
    Shamus9, suka and Deveryn like this.
  15. Deveryn Well-Known Member

#6 is the most important point and why so many seem to hate Qho :p People also seem to feel the need to do all the questing all at once.
    Finora likes this.
  16. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Nek forest is a miserable dismal place to have to spend so much time. Even when the mobs are grey and you can track nodes it is a miserable place that takes much longer than other zones and just makes me cry and grit my teeth and hate devs and poke pins in dolls everytime I have to do it.:)
    Shamus9 likes this.
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

That last bit is so true. I've done this quest something like 17 -18 times at this point, most all the way to the pony at this point and I will do it again (just started it a couple days ago on a new character in fact). I don't mind it at all. I don't typically try to burn through the whole thing in one sitting though either. I did the first few times I did it but that was because it was new & I REALLY wanted all my current at cap crafters to have the cloak, but for all the rest of them I just do it when I feel like it. If I get annoyed with Nek, I just move on to something else for the time being.
    suka likes this.
  18. suka Well-Known Member

like a beautiful cloak with nice stats that can be worn in your appearance slot and gives featherfall and 2 ground mount speed and pack ponies to help the goblin gather for you and pack unicorns to help with harvesting
  19. suka Well-Known Member

I find the dark forest is beautiful and has its own kind of charm, but then, i do have necros and sks and kerrans and druids and wood elves and dark elves in my troup of alts who find such charms irresistible
  20. suka Well-Known Member

I take the time to do all of the housing item quests and the heritage quest while i am there, as well as the ones for the faction npcs there. i usually try to tackle the zones while they are still at least green to my toon so that they would get some xp from them and perhaps some nice loot.
    Finora likes this.