Gamespy's EQII vs WoW (not the poll)

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Akele, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Tiberius Guest

Well if you read all the post for one dumping another 500.00 on a video card isnt worth my money at this time to play a game that has ok I said atm i had 20 bugged quests other low end ones I never finished I had to delete them because i outleveled the content. EQ2 characters (Warlock 34th 31 JC, Paladin Tiberious level 25, Wizard 32 tailoring 25)
    I had other characters starting over in eq2 just wasnt fun that was a job,
    I tried the tradeskill system you call that fun?????

On another side I was in a guild 100 players half came to eq2 now that half is all but gone to wow. EQ2 is a easy game graphics dont make me play something PLAYABILITY keeps me around bugs theres to [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] many I bought the game to play it not BETA test it again.
    WOW is easy to level so is EQ2 there both easy but so far ive run into 1 bug in WOW in eq2 count an easy 40 plus with full reports that I had typed out and posted only to hear we never got that lol....Im looking forward to War Good VS Evil or vice versa I miss that in games eq2 is like living with your parents....no fear get what I mean?
    Also playing games i like to play when im off of work i work 6 days a week in IT I dont want to come home and troubleshoot a [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot]ing game because the devs are to [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot]ing lazy to fix said bug.
    Enjoy it I did for a bit but it wore off fast and its more for the young folks no pvp another drag about it its just a game i have no intrest in anymore..
    Thats also why EQ2 isnt number one WOW is if you read the stats on the customer base....and eq2 doesnt overshadow anything accept for the tons of buggs and problems they have had latley. Blizzard as a company been buying there games for years you know who has the better track record if you played diablo starcraft etc..
    Message Edited by Tiberius on 02-14-2005 07:01 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Vaelaen Guest

i've played all of those games, and they are good games. that does not mean that wow is as good as eq2. eq2 is more immersive, has better gameplay, better graphics and is more involved then wow... wow has pvp..... eq2 may have a few imperfections, but in no way do those kill the game. the game is well thought out and is built for the long haul.

i've seen wow in action, and i dont see how anyone could think that it is better then eq2....
  3. ARCHIVED-Dolf Goodcheese Guest

I haven't witnessed any of the "tons of bugs and problems". It sounds more like you have hardware/driver issues.
  4. ARCHIVED-Tiberius Guest

Hardware driver issue rofl quests arent part of that area of the game instances zones arent hardware issues content thats bugged isnt part of the game what the [FAAR-NERFED!] post are you reading ???
    Do 483 quests and come back and tell me what you have run into in the area of bugged quests some folks never read anything you read what you want to read into. Ah hell what am i [FAAR-NERFED!]ing about i dont play the game anymore and on another note decorating your house yea done that finished 10 mastery quests and about 45 book quests so my home looks like a library when i left eq2 thing is its not any accomplishment in the game for myself.
    Its cool play eq2 its immersive yea somewhat after doing close to 500 quests and adventuring exploring etc its not all that cracked up to be.
    Not to mention finished 10 instance zone key quests trust me i dont sit around killing grey [FAAR-NERFED!] all day long to enjoy a game.
  5. ARCHIVED-Dolf Goodcheese Guest

I just happened to not do any of the many broken quests you have suggested? Oh please......
    If you're having a lot of problems, and others are not, that points to something wrong on your end.

If you've given up on finding a solution and don't play EQ2 any more, then why keep coming to this forum and whining? Is it a requirement because of your postcount?
  6. ARCHIVED-Subnuclearfrog Guest

Great article I still believe in EQII. WOW is cool just to tuney for me.
  7. ARCHIVED-Anrazar Guest

Let me preface this by saying that I play BOTH games and absolutley love them both for different reasons.

The graphics review is right on. WoW edges out that category, not because of the technical aspect of it's models, but because the ART in WoW is so much better. EQ2 = Very real looking, which is cool. WoW = very fantasy-like and eerie in places, and the unique style of art means it is a much more vibrant looking world.

Anyway, just my observations from playing both games.
  8. ARCHIVED-myriick Guest

eq2 won that hands down take out the 2 questions pvp related that wow won and eq2 wins
  9. ARCHIVED-Manitos Guest

Heh...Forget it.

On the other hand, I bet Tiberius can't say at least 5 things good about EQ2 as a MMORPG to give you an idea of his mindset of EQ2. I've supported both WoW and EQ2 and explained why I favored each, but, due to my gameplay style and reasons for playing a MMORPG, I have favored EQ2. Can Tiberius give that much respect to EQ2? Based on the vitriol from his posts, I doubt it. This is how I decide how seriously I should take a players posts.
    Message Edited by Manitos on 02-18-2005 08:14 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-coyoterunner Guest

I played WoW for about a half hour. I simply don't have the money, time, or hard drive space to put another MMO on. You know what? I thought it was junk. The fighting is exactly like EQ1, and the graphics are somewhere between Kunark and Luclin. The race/class selection is not great. And for people who claim that EQ2 is a grind of killing rats, bats, beetles and snakes, I did not exactly boot up my human paladin and get involved in some l33t war between orcs and humans, like all the magazines would have you believe. I fought wolves. Lots of wolves. Then I got to level 2, which took me less time than I can hold my breath. Although miraculously, I did not have to wait for an hour to get onto the server.
    All of the magazines are going gaga over one thing; the fact that the bottom of the cover has a logo that says BLIZZARD. They believe that Blizzard can do no wrong. Sure their games are fun for a little while, but then the toast pops and I'm preoccupied with something else. BattleNet is a den of absurdity, with foulmouthed hackers and bizarre WarCraft III mods (like the 1 hit point cat running around to a super-sped up version of Linkin Park's "In the End" that I called the Chipmunk Remix). It caters to little kids. If you can find it, pick up a copy of the February 2005 edition of PC Gamer, and read both the EQ2 and WoW reviews. Its a study is using favorable language to compare the same things, but give your bias to one.

WOW: And, as in most MMOs, you'll start slaughtering various flora and fauna to rack up experience and loot.
    EQ2:... yet EverQuest II once again requires you to spend an inordinate amount of time dispatching rats, bats, snakes, and beetles.

They also grill EQ2 for having open areas where people hunt, stating the fact that people may be camping as a downside to the game. Of course, they obviously fail to mention that every zone except for the cities is instanced. I could go on, but I'm going to wait for the WoW fans to pound me into dust on this one.
    Oh, one more thing... Computer Games magazine stated in their Top 20 sellers column that Half-Life 2 had finally gone above WoW in terms of sales (these clowns also gave Game of the Year to WoW, not HL2 which is a travesty IMO), and snidely remark that EQ2 dropped off of the list. Fine! Means we don't have to deal with the exploding server load that WoW suffers from. Of all magazines, only GamePro admitted this problem for WoW.
    So, let the WoW have their place as the game magazine world's golden boys. Eventually, people will get tired of the Disneyland wait to get into a zone and move on to something else.

P.S.: To all who complain about lag, I am running EQ2 on a Radeon 9600, 19GB hard drive, 512 DDR... and a 1.2 processor, not overclocked. Sure I get some lag in the city, but I still manage to play the game enjoyably. I just stay away from Qeynos Harbor during the day.

Kardiyf, 66 human paladin, EQ1, Brell Serilis
    Kelhador, 23 dark elf paladin, EQ2, Permafrost
    Zeruel, 22 martial arts initiate, Matrix Online beta
  11. ARCHIVED-IainiEQ2 Guest

Lag.....hmm..

sys specs

P4 3.0
    1gb ram
    radeon 9600XT
    200 gb drive space total
    running dual monitor

system tweaks: 5% overclock (so it runs at 3.16 ghz, video card overdrive setting turned on...)

typically settings in EQ2: balanced, water interaction turned on, cloth sim turned on.. with a few pologon and texture quality sliders set to max.. resolution is 1280 x 1024.

I only get lag in Qeynos Harbor and Willow Wood consistently regardless of server population...

other parts of the city will lag during high population times.. at medium or low population, everything is fine.

While I was XP'ing solo in the thundering stepps, I cranked the graphics settings to the max setting option possible in the drop-down box.. you know. the one that gives you the ~do this and your PC will fry~ warning.. There was noticable framerate drop but it was a far cry from freezeframe I was expecting as long as there were no other players in the field of vision... and where I solo in the TS it's pretty uncommon to see anyone else.. took a few screenies at that setting just cause it looked SOOO amazing.

maybe you guys getting serious lag everywhere all the time should check a few settings or something...

I will say this however, when I installed service pack 2 my performance dropped like a stone down into lag city everywhere all the time, 1024 x 768 was nearly unplayable, when it didn't crash..... I eventually wiped the system and re-installed.. which restored my performance back to what I posted above. Was it SP2? or the video drivers for SP2?? dunno.. but I'll not install either again. (sp2 caused a LOT of other issues in addition to killing my game of choice)
  12. ARCHIVED-IainiEQ2 Guest

ahh the double post.. not an allakhazam only issue it seems... oh well.
    Message Edited by IainiEQ2 on 03-01-2005 02:09 PM
  13. ARCHIVED-drizzt1218 Guest

I have played both WoW and EQ2 and i am actively playing a 30 Guardian. I thought WoW was horrible. Its extremely basic, so basic my 6 year old cousin could play it. The few things i have against this review are 1. The graphics, they totally picked the wrong one here. I think that the Luclin graphics on EQ1 are better then WoW IMO. 2. The start of WoW doesnt beat EQ2. Its simple you just get quests and do them and you kill stuff. But the tutorial in EQ2 and specialized "newb" zone in EQ2 is ten times as good. 3. Combat, the combat in WoW is once again very basic and not nearly as fun as the combat system in EQ2. It may be fast paced but its real boring.

I do have one gripe with EQ2, but its in the process of being fixed from what i understand. This problem is atm the game is very group oriented. In that, to get any kind of good exp you must have a grp. From all the feedback on the test boards this will be fixed in Live Update #4.

IMO WoW couldnt hold EQ2's jock strap. I guess some of the people who arent very good at video games have to play WoW because its so basic and an idiot could play it.
  14. ARCHIVED-roma Guest

I wrote a comment some time ago about WoW regarding the huge disappointment I first felt when I started playing. I also criticised the fact that there is very few graphic options that it's basicaly impossible to get nice graphics even with my 9800PRO 256MB...not because the card can't cope but because there is nothing in the game that needs such a high-end graphics card!...I wonder why WoW players do not complain about lagging...

However after the first free month I cancelled my subscription. Please don't misunderstand me, the game has potential but the basic game-play put me off. I think for people who have some money to spend this combination is perfect: if you are looking for some challenge and deeper immersion in the playing environment then go for EQ2. If you prefer to spend a couple of hrs in relax on an easy run and not too 'stressy' then play WoW.

The two together are perfect.

I am still looking for an alternative to EQ2. I hope D&D Online will be better than WoW in terms of graphics and game-play.

Qerra
  15. ARCHIVED-ScottAdams Guest

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~33~2735094,00.html

Operation Honey Pot
    StillSecure, a Louisville-based network security firm, connected six computers - with six operating systems - to the Internet for a week without any virus protection. The results: 4,892 direct attacks by viruses, worms and other types of malicious code, and 46,255 scans by remote computers looking for weaknesses.
    Here's what happened:
    Windows XP Service Pack 1
    Attacks: 4,857
    Results: Attacked successfully within 18 minutes by the Blaster and Sasser worms. Within an hour, the computer was taken over and began attacking other Windows machines.
    Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Attacks: 16
    Results: Survived all attacks
    Apple Mac OS X Jaguar
    Attacks: 3
    Linux, Suse Professional 9.2
    Attacks: 8
    Linux, Fedora Core 3
    Attacks: 8
    Linux Red Hat 9
    Attacks: 0
    Source:
  16. ARCHIVED-Dolf Goodcheese Guest

I had sp1 with no AV, for, well, since sp1 came out, and never got a single virus (ran AVG, then removed it, every few months just to confirm all was good). I find it a little hard to believe StillSecure's supposed findings of a computer with sp1 getting pounded that bad. They are a network security firm, so their results might possibly be skewed as advertising.
    Of course there's no reason to not get sp2 now. And those people that might not be careful in how they use their computer, should run some sort of AV.
  17. ARCHIVED-Sgleoreo Guest

A middle finger awarded to gamespy. I used to thought it was a good site ok. Time to remove it from my favourites
  18. ARCHIVED-MeowMaster Guest

Why because they were right?
  19. ARCHIVED-eblanx Guest

It's an editorial, the review was simply the opinion of one man. He has some points I agree with, others I don't. EQ2 and WoW are both very good games and i've received great enjoyment from both of them. I had a blast in WoW til a month or so after retail, about level 45 when I started getting bored with it. In it's defense I probably burned myself playing it too much, but truth be told what wow lacks in end game content it makes up for during the "newbie phase".

It's hard to just straight up rate the graphics against each other. EQ2 was very abitious with the graphics engine and personality of the world, and in my opinion it paid off with beautiful scenery at just about every turn. Many appreciate and prefer the cartoony look of WoW, it grows on you after you've played some, but after too long of playing WoW I prefer the eyecandy of EQ2 over the **** limp of my undead priest. Graphics simply come down to a matter of individual preference.

Lately most of my time and enjoyment has been going to this game but don't get me wrong, I like WoW, and in the future i'll give it another go, I certainly didn't leave the game with bad feelings just the need to do something else for a while. EQ2 did a better job on the PvE front, the good thing about that is it generates a desire for semi-longevity, but what then? Most of the games i've ever played have been PvP oriented, all of the MMORPG's i've played had the potential for at least some controlled player wacking circumstances until this one. I fear that when the time comes that i'm 50 and ****** out or what not, if I still can't wack other players yet, I might get bored.

Message Edited by eblanx on 03-19-2005 11:42 AM
  20. ARCHIVED-Pibly Guest

I play both WoW and EQ2, but I have to admit my preference is WoW.

In fact, I started out in EQ2 and loved it. I got a wizard to mid-20s, a druid to high teens, and a summoner to mid teens, then decided that the "real" game was for melee, so started a fighter and a scout and... well I got bored with ALL of them. At the time, casters were very underpowered, couldnt solo well, and were not wanted in groups, but it was casters that I wanted to play. So...

I started playing WoW, and love it. I have a 60 mage there now and both a priest and warlock climbing the ranks. I have a great guild. I can solo when I want and am wanted in groups. High raids are very intense. The huge quantity of quests continues right upto and past 60.

However, WoW really does sort of end at 60. There are no aa's, and there are not enough raid zones to continue to provide adequate incentive. I dont know how EQ2 fares there, since I never got past mid-20s.

I do think it's a mistake for EQ2 folks to intentionally blind themselves to WoW. It's a great game, as some 1.5 million players can attest. But...

EQ2 is a great game too. They both are. For me WoW is more fun, but as many have said in this thread, different strokes for different folks.