Gamespy's EQII vs WoW (not the poll)

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Akele, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Zeb Guest

Any system where you can sell without being online is a plus for the players.

Set a price, item disappears out of inventory and goes up on the auction block, if it sells...you get paid. if not...either let it stay until it does or it's removed by player OR return it to the player's inventory or bank after a certain period of time.
  2. ARCHIVED-Khuzad Guest

Orki Said...

It runs like hell on my
    intel 3ghz
    1gb dual channel cas 2 performance ram (it uses about 600)
    geforce 6800gt
    intel performance motherboard
    raid harddrives
    freshly installed

This is almost the exact config of the machine that I built for my mother to play EQ2... She does have 2gb of dual channel ram though... The game is as smooth as silk on her machine...We even turned the graphics settings up as high as possible and it was still playable...she runs it in High Quality and it is stunning... I built this machine for $1600.00....

I would suggest more ram Orki and check your drivers...

I run the game in 1600 x 1200 in Balanced on this machine:

2.4ghz
    1gb 333mghz ram
    NVidia Ti 4200 128mb
    40gb ATA 7200 rpm

This machine is a long way from cutting edge or state of the art...

The game runs great on my machine and looks great on my 21 inch Sony CRT...

I did make a few adjustments to the bios, tweaked the OS, Overclocked my videocard, and added extra cooling... which cost me $6.99 =)

This was the same machine I ran EQ Live on...as well as the Beta for WoW ( which I did not care for at all mind you )...

You dont need to spend a fortune to play this game...you just need to do your research...

Peace
  3. ARCHIVED-Manitos Guest

Yeah, the game is "playable" when it's set to Extreme Quality, but "playable" isn't always acceptable thus players will reduce the graphic settings lower. Why? I'll leave that answer up to you to figure out.

Moreover, Extreme Quality doesn't mean you are getting the best possible graphics from the game. Try this out. Set it to Extreme Quality then browse thru all of the display settings. You'll notice that Extreme Quality doesn't implement the maximum capabilities of the game's graphic engine by disabling specific graphic enhancements and such. Once you push EQ2 to its true "extreme quality", you will find out exactly how well your computer system performs when you are in a nice size raid of players. Yeah, my machine is lacking the FSB and CPU power to optimize my video card so the game does not run smooth on this "extreme" setting. And when I mean smooth, I mean smooth. If i can't achieve this level of smoothness, then i lower the graphics to try and make the anomalies not as noticeable.

Yeah, to play the game you don't have to spend much money. But if you want to experience true graphics, you will have to spend a bit of money in your machine, unless you can grab the OEM pricing ;-)

Another thing, specific models of video cards implement their hardware texturing and lighting differently. Wanna see the difference in graphics between a $500 video card and a $200 video card? Do a side-by-side screen comparison. You'll notice the differences. G4TechTV wrote an excellect article about this. Maybe you can find it. I should've bookmarked the stupid thing.

Now could we get into this type of talk with WoW? You'll try, but won't come close to this level of intensity. ;-p
    Message Edited by Manitos on 02-04-2005 12:59 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-Tamat Guest

I agree with this as well. As a crafters if I make 100 Carbonite Amor sets I can set my merchant overnight while I sleep but it almost always drops offline after a few hours. I think you should be able to hire a merchant to sit in your house and sell for you ... for a charge of course .. it would require upkeep because he would be your employee.
  5. ARCHIVED-Manitos Guest

That'd be aweseome Tamat.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cownose Guest

Yeah, my bloddy parents are scared of hackers so they don't let me leave the computer/internet on when I'm not using it. And guess what that meens? Ither I have to sit there watching my character sell stuff or not sell anything at all. So, unfortunately, I don't sell anything at all.
  7. ARCHIVED-Tiberius Guest

Welp ive played em both and hands down wow did thr right thing graphics kinda cartoonish but thats warcraft its got its own feel. BUt hands down I dont have to run around with lower settings when outside i can crank it all up and its a great thing. EQ2 has to many bugs still to do date many quests that are bugged hell check me im 11nth on my [FaarNerfed!] server for quests. The glamor of eq2 has worn off it was nice for a bit now its not even fun anymore. Quests are a joke or broken cant finish 20 quests as they are all bugged im tired of working and not getting anything cept a headache.
    Tradeskills is the worst like working 2 jobs then you will love the tradeskill system. Enjoy yourself ive given sony enough money over the past few years.
  8. ARCHIVED-Manitos Guest

Why don't you delete those 20 quests? I understand that all of them aren't hallmark, access quests, prestige, or some other undeletable quest, right? I bet they will all be fixed eventually given SOE still does one decent update for every 2-3 days on quest fixes, graphical fixes, and other such issues. I am a lvl28 dirge and a lvl33 provisioner, playing 50 hour weeks, 7 days a week, and I can't stop playing. But I am getting to the point where I need to manage my time for my job. I enjoy the graphics and will always play EQ2 for that specific reason until better graphics on a RPG is released and the guild system makes the game even more enjoyable. I believe many more other players enjoy the game at the same extent even though not placed so much into graphics.

I believe the players who give up on EQ2 due to bugs and such are really burning them selves out by playing to much. If you can't handle the time, don't do the time. Don't blame it on bugs and such because EQ2 doesn't have as many as you suggest. At the least, I'd prefer EQ2's quest bugs when compared to the waiting list on WoW servers, WoW's lack of lore, and below par graphics when I played WoW.
    Message Edited by Manitos on 02-08-2005 04:41 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-Tiberius Guest

You know ive posted many times on these message boards for the broken quests Ive run acrossed and its not fun to get smacked by idiots who have done maybe 20 quests in the game.
    Nah I dont want to wait why should I have to pay for a game that is supposed to have such a large amount of quests that "work" and you say to delete em well ya know what they are time consuming quests that I dont want to delete why should i? They should work right off the bat why do we have to come here and post all there screw ups constantly. I work a full time job and play eq close to your amount of hours playing and im very bored of it.

As an avid gamer ive been playing the online gaming scene now since NWN was on AOL, DSO (Dark Sun Online) UO, EQ1, DAOC, Lineage 1, Lineage 2, EQ2, WOW etc ive been around been gaming since 1980 yea been awhile.
    Now to the point no candy coating anything ive been playing eq2 for sometime now early beta and it was a pretty nice game coming along. Now that its been on the market and ive done 483 quests ill tell you what there same old same old quests theres no real story just go kill 10 mobs and come see me kill 5 more 10 more etc etc heres your 89c or level 20 item for a level 35 quest.
    Graphics in eq2: good but not the greatest I myself run a barebones system with to many tweaks i wont even go into it eq2 will not run to what id like it to run or what they bragged about how it will run.
    The graphics have worn off in big battles that graphics lag out my machine to the point i have to look at garbage models like so many other posters have said. 3.5g p4 2 Gigs of ram 9800 ati radeon 256m ram, xp pro with all non essential services shut off.

Yes on a high end built machine eq2 kills it not to mention the memory leak in the game which ruins it.
    Wow full blown all graphics turned up to max i have not one problem i can run it for days and never have to reboot it.
    EQ2 on quests: they are all pretty much the same each one maybe has some differences to it but in general the same quests copied and pasted to each other.
    Id be 50th if I hadnt goofed off doing the quests and all my exp most of it is from questing in eq2, so to give you an idea ive done alot less then half of that 483 in WOW and gained when finishing a quest close to 10% exp in my level real accomplishment.
    You get rewards that are usefull not some medium armor i cannot even use as a caster.
    WOw quests are quite also about the same in many respects but more adventure and more links to the quest they are somewhat cut and dry but interesting non the less also the exp you get from a wow quest makes it worthwhile not to mention Money you gain from quests is usefull 2 cp isnt my idea of usefull.
    Tradeskill system in eq2: If you like simple things you will love it and enjoy clicking a icon to get better quailty you call that a interal game within a game ??? LOL be prepared to be put to sleep.
    WOW tradeskills system is to the point click create done no falling asleep at the keyboard here. Items crafted are put to use right away some recipes are intermixxed with other classes but there is no failures to be seen.
    PVP aspect of wow is something I havent seen yet but am looking forward to it EQ2 isnt going to have any pvp thats fine they are catering to the general populace.
    Some folks ive read have said WOW is easy and EQ2 is much harder is it really ??? I dont think so eq2 is far easier a game to play ive yet have to look up quest information they are ALL TO D A M N EASY! If folks would take 10 min of there time read the fine print you will see how easy the quests are in eq2 besides more then 25% are usually broken or will be after next patch.
    WOW is pretty easy to they are both easy games to pick up and play, soloing in wow is a dream I dont need a group I can move around and do what I want. EQ2 im tied down by the promise of them adding more solo content when they gonna add it? They added some but in general its still campquest. In WOW i can enter a dungeon and kill as i go and not need 4 people to enter a zone, it has the feel of old EQ as to where you dont a group of people to play the game.
    WOW though first 10 levels are kinda tough but heck thats ok with me...EQ2 was kinda rough depends on what class you played overall the leveleing is very easy as a Warlock you can solo to 50 in a matter of a few weeks or group.
    Folks will side with whoever they side with doesnt really matter but if you open your mind and look at the big picture from someone who has leveled to 34 warlock 31 jc maybe you will get a hint that im not talking out of my [FaarNerfed!].

Message Edited by Tiberius on 02-09-2005 08:56 PM
    Message Edited by Tiberius on 02-09-2005 08:58 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-BlueGnoll Guest

i boungt both played wow for a month then started eqii played it for a few weeks and cancelled it...LAG,LAG,yes the graphics are great BUT a lot of towns are cluttered...junk everywhere....did i mention lag.....franly i got tired of spending 10 min to run across a zone...yes i have better than recommended pc...and dsl....
  11. ARCHIVED-Tiberius Guest

I have no lag in wow none eq2 in big battles with spell effects turn em on ill show you lag, on the server im on I dont see a ton of peeps around its a nice affect not to have such crowds and in town what lag are you talking about video or Network?
    Btw get a real video card get read for crowded cities in eq2 video lag can be killer.
    Message Edited by Tiberius on 02-10-2005 04:13 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Hallsy Guest

Yeah wow is too east to level.. eq2 is more a game for the strategy types to where wow caters to the cry babies and the brainless who have no strategy..

My friend played wow for a week...he is level 44

Thats [FaarNerfed!]
  13. ARCHIVED-Eneebreated Guest

I also played wow for about 2 months...have a lvl 54 Rogue.

Wow is an unbelievable game, great graphics, great sound, TONS of things to do, very customizable, competitive and etc etc etc ...

but I'd still have to say hands down that EQ2 will outlast it. Wow seems to cater to the casual and in many cases, younger RPGers. WoW is overly easy to lvl in and when you're a 60 you just don't feel special...there's 900 others just like you running around. I consider myself a pretty hardcore mmo player and wow just doesn't do it longterm for me.

there's no pressure in wow to perfrom in a party and do your job right...

i dunno...it's so late, I don't want to get going b/c I'll never stop...I love wow, just prefer the longer, fulfilling, classic approach to EQ2...

I want to play my mmo for 5 years...not 5 days...
  14. ARCHIVED-roma Guest

Hey Devs,

Let's make this sticky and stick it on the front page of every forum server! Let's show WoW players how much we love EQ2 :smileyvery-happy:

BTW, IMO, both games show great graphics.

Qerra
  15. ARCHIVED-Vanion Vilesilencer Guest

I think the graphics in WoW suck. At least the cartoony looking characters look ridiculous
  16. ARCHIVED-Tiberius Guest

Graphics dont make a game playability is what keeps you around bugs constant broken quests encounters end your fun and add hours of headache and disapointment. It was the same for me when i played eq2 graphics oooo after the ooos and aahhhs and constant broke encounters bugs etc that all ends it.
  17. ARCHIVED-Manitos Guest

I have played the quests in WoW and they're no different than EQ2 quests when considering the different game economies. I like your spin on the WoW quests better tho. ;-) Tiberius, there are other aspects of the game besides questing, that I am sure you are aware of. EQ2 is more than questing such as the graphics, guild system, crafting, apartment decoration, character decoration, the fun little "mini game" type of quests from scrying, exploring the various zones, faction titles and rewards, hunter titles, and other rolepaying not including quests. As a graphics guy, I believe EQ2's graphic engine is what makes the game an investment worth your money. What other MMORPG do you know of that requires a $500 video card to play when the graphic engine is set to max (ie. in EQ2, beyond "extreme quality")? I believe EQ2 will set the standard for graphics in MMORPGs.

As you just typed, a large amount of quests do "work". What was it? 20 bugged quests out of 480ish total quests? I'd say that's a good ratio. As time progresses, SOE will polish these quests and even introduce new ones just because of hard working players like your self, Tiberius.

I am not surprised that the graphics would lag out on your machine since you're using the 9800 series. Try actually investing into a great video card if you want to experience great graphics. Lets take a for instance by comparing the 9800 series to the X800 series. One, the X800s are approximately $300 more then the best 9800s. As of late with ATI, the price demonstrates the amount of technology implemented in the card. Second, the 9800s are *literally* half the machine of the X800s. The 9800s have literally only half the pipelines and digital compression utilized in the X800s. Moreover, the X800s have on-board MPEG4 decoding. ATI implements a tweak in the 9800s drivers to help out on the MPEG4 decoding. And the X800 series is actually becoming 5 months old! ATI's X850s are the king of the mountain now. Lets avoid the 9800 the shame by not comparing it to the X850s. Don't get me wrong here. The 9800 series do provide decent graphics for the average consumer. I believe 4 variables are involved in determining graphics: bus speeds, RAM, CPU, Video Card (including the video technology PCI-Exp vs AGP and speed of the video bus). These have a mutual exclusive relationship; if one variable is lacking, then they're all lacking. The video card is what will cap your graphics quality no matter how fast of a CPU, RAM, or bus. I am not surprised you had to experience garbage models with the 9800s. Next time, take note of your video card's limitations when you think about expressing graphics quality. Moreover, lag is produced by many variables such as server traffic, video quality capability (visa via the variables i mentioned), data transfer, proper hardware configuration, and other variables.

Not true. Not true. My machine is close to high end and I can play very smooth on Very High Quality and it's just playable when beyond "extreme quality". I am currently restricted by my CPU and bus speed thus not optimizing my graphics card. I feel the effects of zero memory leak (even though the leak does exist). The only times I have stuttered (or lagged) on Very High Quality is during the server's peak times.

That's not saying much. Even a rookie can predict the graphics quality of a game by analyzing the game's hardware requirements. These requirements are not just something the publishers grabbed out of thin air.

Eneebreated nailed it. EQ2 is WoW's evil brother. EQ2 is a game that promotes player cooperation. WoW is a game that focuses on the player. If this is not true about EQ2, why are they slowly implementing methods to make adventuring easier for a single player? If you are expecting to solo in EQ2, you will have problems, and the opposite is true in WoW.

For me, this is how I approach games: graphics or real time strategy. For me, graphics in a MMORPG does make game playability. If the graphics were anything like EQ1 and many other MMORPG trials I played, I would go into siezures.

If you're basing your oooos and aaahhs on a 9800 video card...hmmmm...What can i say?

To those who care, ATI's X850XT PE is the X800XT PE but overclocked quite a bit with a few other technological features so ATI can have a slight edge over NVIDIA's 6800 Ultra. The 6800 Ultra is a better investement if you will utilize the dual-card SLI configuration and your motherboard supports the SLI technology. If you're gonna stay with a single card, ATI's X850XT PE is the way to go and it's about $10 cheaper than the 6800 Ultra. Also, the X850's new cooling system makes the video card more cool and quiet then the 6800 Ultra. I've read ATI will release their dual-card SLI version of the X850 sometime soon.
    Message Edited by Manitos on 02-12-2005 09:19 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-Dreamswalker Guest

EQ2 rocks the graphics easily over the cartoonish WoW! However they are spot on over the market bulletin board issue! Though, even if with some issues like that , that could use changing or tweaking, EQ2 is the best game I have ever had the privileage to play.

With a cable modem, 3 gb dell MB, 2gb DDR ram, ATI Radeon 9800 256/256 pro video card, I run without issue, and I can even turn up the extreme settings in areas outside the city without to much lagg or anything at all.

(However water is now distorting the edges of my character as if reflecting or bleeding into the water, no matter how low I place my settings, and that is a new issue for me) Very minor cosmetic issue, I hope to line out though.

SOE You Rock! I look forward to the changes that can only improve on an amazing game in the future! I am here for the long haul! Wow doesn't do it for me at all. I definately agree the review seems bias, and we all know what that means!
  19. ARCHIVED-Vaelaen Guest

i agree with you dreamswalker 100%. eq2 completely overshadows wow in all aspects minus a few tweaks. once they get those tweaks ironed out, i would exspect to see eq2 even do better then it already is. there were 4 guys at my work that were playing wow... only one is still playing. 2 of them came over to eq2 and one went to play a mmorpg that he was playing earlier (cant remember what one).

eq2 just too much to offer....
  20. ARCHIVED-Cecil_Strife Guest

I played wow for 2 days and have a 16th char and a 10th level char... and i had the flu so i was sleeping most of that time. MMOs big draw in is the fact that they are addictive to build a char. Its not fun to most people to level abuncha chars to 60.

I would rather have 1 good char that feels like an accomplishment