Future of EQ2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by UBiLL, Mar 5, 2016.

1. UBiLL Member

I first played EQ2 back in 2006 as a casual player and left during EOF. After that i played other mmos hardcore like Rift and others. Then i came back to EQ2 couple months after TOV lauched and never stopped playing since.

Started raiding, joined guild, made friends, had a LOT of fun. I still play a lot, i raid, run heroics, craft hell i even do housing sometime. I always been a subscriber since i came back, i sometime buy stuff from marketplace, collectors edition, the occasional krono to sell, etc..

I remember all the content we used to get in ToV : by that time of the year there was already Fabled KoS, HKC was about to be released and a new guardian edifice wing. Every week would have a new feature, i used to check patch note all excited about what will be this week feature!

All was good for me and then SOE got sold and it all started. First came the layoffs but i did not realize how badly it would impact the future of the game. Then came Rum Cellar and the fact that we would have to pay for it. People were mad, i remember 2 raid mate just left the game because of this.

Aftet that bad decisions kept being made : fabled EoF heroic gear were better than purple gear from raid. People were pissed, some left. Then we had the summer ethereal fiasco and the real start of a RNG loot for a lot of stuff. By that time a lot of raid guild were having attendance issue and devs promised merge in the summer. Those merger finally came in november and during that hard fall period a lot of people just plain left the game.

Same story goes for ToT : devs makes questionable decision, they make people mad, some leave some takes break. Raid itemization, RNG, the recent gear revamp fiasco, bugs, etc..

2 years ago i was excited to look at every patch note for new content ; now i'm afraid to look at them and curious about what they might break! I still enjoy playing but that fun is more and more destroyed by frustration. We still pay the same price yet we get not even half of what we used to have.

I'm still playing for the people mostly but i'm asking myself more and more if i should just quit and move on.

What do you guys think ? Is there hope after that downward spiral of the last 12 months? Is the game dying a slow death?
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I play because I still enjoy the game, it's as simple as that for me.

Every expac has a select bunch of people who have issues, and people also expect the same level of content that we had from the Dev team 8 years ago, which is now dramatically smaller.

Imho though, some crucial decisions need to just be made and stuck to, like future of PvP. Rather than fingers in all the pies.
  3. UBiLL Member

I would be happy with the level of content we had 2 years ago. Team was already small then. We should stop saying team is too small don't expect too much and start saying : if you want my money you have to keep the staff required for an acceptable level of content.
    Feldon, Billyrayy and Meneltel like this.
  4. Raff Well-Known Member

I have throughly enjoyed every expansion EQ2 has ever put out. I hope to enjoy many more.
  5. Rubick Well-Known Member

The sky has been falling every expansion since RoK. The game will be just fine, as always. Ignore the doomsayers. The population may continue to dwindle but the game will drag on for years and years with a low population, just like EQ1.
    Sintropy, Treiko, Sigrdrifa and 2 others like this.
  6. Regolas Well-Known Member

ToV was no bigger an xpac than ToT.

To be honest I've always found there's plenty to do. I don't expect the days of Kunark or DoV anymore, but the past 3 xpacs have had more than enough content. It's hard to do everything you can in a day/week, every day/week unless you're unemployed.

As for some of the poor decisions on itemization, etc. I'm concerned at the massive stat inflation we have every xpac, it's not sustainable. But I also understand they need to give players incentives to buy and play new content, and a gradual climb in stats might not do it (but maybe it will).
    Prissetta and Febrith like this.
  7. UBiLL Member

New content was release more often. If we had the same amount of content released at the same pace than ToV we would have new fabled zone, new contested , new raid, new heritage quest, new feature every week, etc...
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

Fabled zones are coming...
  9. UBiLL Member

Are you really saying we are getting as much content in ToT that we did in ToV ? Come on! They layed off people by the dozen last year we are not even close to what we used to have back in ToV. It's because of people like you that they keep cutting and cutting. Wake up!
    Billyrayy likes this.
  10. Rubick Well-Known Member

No, if you'd take off your tinfoil hat and stop letting your penchant for whining cloud your judgment you'd realize I said the game is going to be fine and not in a "hopeless downward spiral" that will result in the "slow death" of this game, like you said in your original post. So many people on this forum lack the most basic reading comprehension, for the love of god...
  11. Raff Well-Known Member

The reasons for DB's cuts have nothing to do with anyone who plays the game. That was a business decision driven by a whole host of issues..most of which no here is even aware of most likely. If you are going to lay blame for that mess, then take it up with SOE.

Gotta wonder at your motives for these posts actaully. You coming across like an ex employee, lol.
    Spindle likes this.
  12. UBiLL Member

Both my replies were for regolas not you ... reading comprehension you said?
  13. UBiLL Member

Judging by the replies i've got so far things looks pretty dark. Looks like you guys will take anything and ask for more. Fanboys i guess. Now bend over and pay!
  14. Febrith Well-Known Member

Just seems determined to be anti and to have a moan by the sound of it. Ubill, if you're unhappy then don't let the door hit you on the way out whilst the rest of us enjoy the game Kthxbye
  15. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

If it's so bad why not just leave? Negativity like yours won't achieve anything either.

If you don't like it, leave.

If you do, stay.

If you do like it, and have suggestions, post them in a constructive format and don't be an ***.
    Torvaldr, Deveryn, Prissetta and 3 others like this.
  16. UBiLL Member

Yeah gotta admit i might have lost my cool there for a minute, let me explain why by an example to put thing into perspective :

Let's say you go to a gym, been a member there for over 2 years , paying 15$ every month an buying the occasional special package for event and such.

Then a year ago the gym got sold to a new company that is not really in that field usually . First thing they do is cut staff, a lot. Then they decide you will pay for stuff that used to be free. People get mad, they back off.

Time pass, you start to notice stuff like those new machine they used to add every few months are coming only one or twice a year now instead. Maintenance get bad, some machines are broken and it take weeks for them to get fix. You have more difficulty to get support from staff when you get a problem, no one answer the phone, there is often no one there.

Now you think, yeah maybe i should just move to a new gym but you try to avoid that because you've been going to that gym for years, you know a lot of people and you have fun talking with them when you get there. They help you, you help them, etc..

So instead of leaving, you decide to speak about the matter thinking that people will say thing like : yeah you are right, we used to get much more stuff for our money lets all complain and maybe they will rehire some staff and fix stuff.

BUT NO, instead people say stuff like : nothing changed, they said they will get a new machine in the future, remove your tinfoil hat, don't let the door hit you on your way out, etc.... So you get mad and just don't believe what you are reading ......
    Berserkerkitten and Feldon like this.
  17. Regolas Well-Known Member

Maybe not quite as much, but for an employed person, there's more than enough content to do. 12 or so heroic instances, 1 massive contested with stupidly rare desirable items, duck zone hunting, key quests, tradeskills quests weekly, etc. Then there's raids.

You can only get everything you need from these places in 3-4 months unless you play the game like a full time job and don't actually work. I have done this on this xpac because I wasn't employed until very recently, and I'm still missing stuff
  18. Rubick Well-Known Member

If you'd learn to use the quote button when providing responses not clearly directed at somebody then it would be impossible for everybody to misinterpret your idiotic drivel.
  19. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Personally I see myself paying the same fee I did 10 years ago. For the same service as 10 years ago I'd expect to pay £40 a month.

10 years ago I could buy a chocolate bar for 10 pence, now they are 45 pence.

A house? Perhaps 75k, now 150k.

Petrol, 75p a litre, now over 100p.

Do I still get a lot of enjoyment out of £15 a month, yes. It's less than a pizza now aday.
    Prissetta and Faelen like this.
  20. Meneltel Well-Known Member

When enough people get angry enough, they will walk and no longer pay to support this game, OR keep playing but no longer pay. This game is VERY generous with F2P players. I pay to play. My personal decision, though I have real life friends on EQ who dropped back to F2P due to money problems. I don't like some of the business decisions made so far, but I still prefer EQ/EQ2 compared to WoW. I will NEVER go back to it. Unsubscribed so I don't even get free time offers just not interested in it anymore. I am having enough fun in EQ2/EQ to justify paying $15 a month. I could play for free but its worth that money to me for now. For now...
    Prissetta likes this.